Reloading- Here I go...

Okey,

I guess my eagerness got the better of me today. I went back to the Reloaders Bench and bought my dillion digital scale, some more bullets and that flash hole tool that Casey showed us.

I also put another order to MidwayUSA for a primer pocket brush set, a powder trickler, and the Hornady reloading manual. I will now have a 3 books to reference and compare powder charge loads. The only items I am missing is the tumbler, media separator, and case trimmer.

Too bad all these items will be delivered to my house in the coming week and I will be working in Vermont until the end of January. :D

I SO know how you feel!! I just got my wife into an apartment and off the road with me..I got a whole closet to put my reloading gear in and a room that I can reload in.

I have a bunch of .45 and .308 to reload...I primed up 50 rounds of new match grade IMI .308 to run some loads on. Thats all I had time to do..now I'm going to be heading to Nashiville in the morning and from there, to Louisiana.

*sigh* sucks, huh?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I SO know how you feel!! I just got my wife into an apartment and off the road with me..I got a whole closet to put my reloading gear in and a room that I can reload in.

I have a bunch of .45 and .308 to reload...I primed up 50 rounds of new match grade IMI .308 to run some loads on. Thats all I had time to do..now I'm going to be heading to Nashiville in the morning and from there, to Louisiana.

*sigh* sucks, huh?

Sucks? Yes!

Someday, I will get started. Until then, I will keep reading up on loads and techniques. But many of these ideas won't truly make sense until I sit down and get my hands dirty. I'm still trying to figure out the process of removing a primer crimp. This one seems to elude me. I have a good variety of brass that is crimped and uncrimped. I would like to know how to proceed.

On another note, I should see my SBR approval in the coming days. Guess what, I won't be around to go pick up my lower. That really hurts! I usually take out my frustration by placing another order from MidSouth or Midwayusa.

Guest Mugster

Removing a primer crimp ain't hard, its just a pain. And you don't really remove it, you just make the hole bigger so a new primer will fit. It still looks crimped on visual examination...that little telltale ring is still there.

When they crimp it, they make the primer hole too small. The original primer thats in there gets resized smaller in place a bit I think. If you try to prime a crimped case, the primer simply won't go in. You'll mash it.

You can drill out the hole to make it bigger. You can buy a die that has a nipple on one side and physically press the cartridge onto it and "swage" the hole larger. You can aggressively use a primer pocket reamer and remove enough brass so it'll fit.

I swage mine out with the RCBS die set. I don't know if thats the best method, but i have more control over how big to make the pocket by how far i press the die into the primer hole. Thats the easy part. Even with lube they get stuck on the die and it really slows you down wiggling them back and forth to get them off the die. I've seen some drill press setups that I wish I had instead.

Edited by Mugster

Mugster- is this a different die set that is used to reload?

On a separate note, I called the ATF NFA office today and got some great news. I was told my SBR stamp was approved on JAN 20th. A minute after I got off the phone, I got an email from Hero-Gear saying they have received my stamp. Well sh#t, I'm stuck working in Vermont (sub-freezing temps). I hope to pick up my stamp and AR lower on the 31st. So on one hand it was great news, with the sad reality that I can't enjoy it, let alone shoot it.

Guest Mugster
Mugster- is this a different die set that is used to reload?

On a separate note, I called the ATF NFA office today and got some great news. I was told my SBR stamp was approved on JAN 20th. A minute after I got off the phone, I got an email from Hero-Gear saying they have received my stamp. Well sh#t, I'm stuck working in Vermont (sub-freezing temps). I hope to pick up my stamp and AR lower on the 31st. So on one hand it was great news, with the sad reality that I can't enjoy it, let alone shoot it.

Yup. I had a hard time figuring out what to get. This is what I have i'm pretty sure:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=447022

Once again, especially if you have a drill press, you may be better off going a different way. Also, I'd advise spending a few bucks on some remington civilian brass if you have to for your first try at rifle ammo. 50 pieces will do you. Dorking around with crimps is not the only problem with military brass. Some of it is pretty stiff because of the temper. Some of it is thick and you need to use a reduced charge in it. Remington still makes some of the best brass to work with imo. Since the demise of the blue magic peters hulls, their shotshell's aren't worth spit though.

Edited by Mugster

reloading is very addictive,,i know i have been doing it since 1970, i even reload the 25 acp. i started with a texas star single stage press. still got it. now i use two single stage presses and a dillion 550 that i got in 1980. take your time when you work up yours loads. read all you can about the load you are trying to work up. get some old reloading books, the ones from the 70's and 80's. they have some of the best load data around. if you have some mad money i would get a chronograph to check the loads. i have spend many hours chronographing loads and grouping loads. i would also look around for used reloading equipment, i use to buy all i could find. got dies for cals that i don't load for. have fun and be safe when reloading. also, after smometime you might get into casting bullets.

When someone offers to show you how to reload, take them up on their offer. Back in March I was "thinking" about reloading, I bought some books and started reading up on it. I made a post on another forum and someone offered to teach me how to reload. I never met the guy before but it was great that he offered. Up until then, I was saving my brass, bought some equipment, and I had just ordered my first die set. I only have handguns, so I started with .38 spls, and moved on to other calibers once I got the process down. That's all I needed to feel confident about reloading. Having someone explain it to me and actually see the process in person. I have loaded 1000's of rounds since.

I don't own a chrony at this point. I only reload for range use. For defense loads, I use factory.

When someone offers to show you how to reload, take them up on their offer. Back in March I was "thinking" about reloading, I bought some books and started reading up on it. I made a post on another forum and someone offered to teach me how to reload. I never met the guy before but it was great that he offered. Up until then, I was saving my brass, bought some equipment, and I had just ordered my first die set. I only have handguns, so I started with .38 spls, and moved on to other calibers once I got the process down. That's all I needed to feel confident about reloading. Having someone explain it to me and actually see the process in person. I have loaded 1000's of rounds since.

I don't own a chrony at this point. I only reload for range use. For defense loads, I use factory.

Oh I have an outstanding offer and I will take him up on it when I return home. There is only so much a book can teach you. I feel the real lessons learned will come from hands-on and guidance from a seasoned reloader.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it's time to make my next purchase. I want to buy my case trimmer and the hand primer.

Rightwinger suggested the Lyman trimmer. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=795961 I already have a good caliper. Is there anything I'm missing?

As for the hand priming tool, the guys at The Reloaders Bench suggested the one from Hornady. Do I need an additional shell holder to use this primer or does it come with them? I have a Lee shellholder (for .223) for my Rockchucker. Will this work?

I'm still holding off on buying my tumbler and media separator. Looks like I will buy these items next month.

OK, it's time to make my next purchase. I want to buy my case trimmer and the hand primer.

Rightwinger suggested the Lyman trimmer. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=795961 I already have a good caliper. Is there anything I'm missing?

As for the hand priming tool, the guys at The Reloaders Bench suggested the one from Hornady. Do I need an additional shell holder to use this primer or does it come with them? I have a Lee shellholder (for .223) for my Rockchucker. Will this work?

I'm still holding off on buying my tumbler and media separator. Looks like I will buy these items next month.

The shell holders are different. They are the same size but the don't have the lug in the bottom to slide into your press. They are flat and slip into the hand primer to align your case with the piston that will push the primer in. This part isn't rocket science at all so if you want to save a few bucks get the Lee. The Hornady is nice as well.

You can get the small box of all shell holders for the primer tool pretty cheap too.

The shell holders are different. They are the same size but the don't have the lug in the bottom to slide into your press. They are flat and slip into the hand primer to align your case with the piston that will push the primer in. This part isn't rocket science at all so if you want to save a few bucks get the Lee. The Hornady is nice as well.

You can get the small box of all shell holders for the primer tool pretty cheap too.

I saved the bucks and got the Lee priming tool and with the multi-pack of shellholders. I rounded out my Midway order with the Lyman trimmer. Last night, I found a deal on some once-fired Lake City brass on http://www.reloadersauction.com/. It has been deprimed, de-swaged, and tumbled. Now I just need to get home and get busy reloading.

Thanks again Rightwinger

One thing that hasn't been mentioned to now is the lead factor in reloading.

Primers are a large supplier of the type of lead compounds that cause problems if ingested. A lot of ingestion comes from dust that is generated if and when you tumble the cases and then siphon the medium to separate it from the brass.

Take precaution when doing this. Not in a room that is lived in or near a vent that spreads air around the house. I always do it outside with any wind at my back or on still days, I even set up a fan and a good dust mask.

Any primers that get away while reloading, find and get rid of.

That lead is spread to the inside of the case when the primer goes off too which makes the tumbling medium contaminated in time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm slowly moving forward. After another 30 days on the road, I was home for the weekend. I got a chance to unpack most of my reloading boxes. I re-enforced my workbench with some crossmembers because it had a little wobble to it. I was able to get my press mounted and my powder measure put together. I still need to determine the best place to mount the powder measure. I put together my hand priming tool and got a chance to look over all the tools I will be using during the reloading process.

Shooting006.jpg

Shooting004.jpg

Shooting005.jpg

I now have a good supply of primers (winchester & CCI), bullets (Prvi Partizan and Hornady SP and FMJBT)and brass (Lake City and Winchester). I just need to get home for more than 2.5 days.

Rightwinger, I'm in the final stretch for being gone. I hope to be home the last week in March to get this going.

Damn, now I gotta clean the garage out so you don't see what a sty it became over the winter!

Before you mount anything else, do a run through with your books out so you do all the "movements" of depriming, sizing and ramming a bullet home before you permanently mount anything else. You'll be suprised how much movement is involved in everything. With that size bench area you will want to do things in batches, deprime everything, resize everything, and so on. I like to work from right to left, you'll see why when you see my set up. With your ram on the far right, I can guarantee your working left to right! Seating your bullets after throwing a charge is going to be the most movement. Lay it out in an assembly line. You may have a good enough powder measure to throw consistent charges but I just used mine to get "close" then trickeled into a funnel cup to get exact grain weights before pouring into the case. Set your scale up, put the powder thrower up in place and go through the motions. Remember you have to have all the unfilled cases in one area and somewhere to go with all the finished ones when done. If you don't have them on order get some of the Franklin Arsenal cartridge holders for the calibers your loading so you can set the cases in an upright position as well.

Guest FroggyOne2
I'm slowly moving forward. After another 30 days on the road, I was home for the weekend. I got a chance to unpack most of my reloading boxes. I re-enforced my workbench with some crossmembers because it had a little wobble to it. I was able to get my press mounted and my powder measure put together. I still need to determine the best place to mount the powder measure. I put together my hand priming tool and got a chance to look over all the tools I will be using during the reloading process.

Shooting006.jpg

Shooting004.jpg

Shooting005.jpg

I now have a good supply of primers (winchester & CCI), bullets (Prvi Partizan and Hornady SP and FMJBT)and brass (Lake City and Winchester). I just need to get home for more than 2.5 days.

Rightwinger, I'm in the final stretch for being gone. I hope to be home the last week in March to get this going.

My table isn't near that clean.. and may I ask.. You a southpaw?

My table isn't near that clean.. and may I ask.. You a southpaw?

No, not a southpaw. Are you basing that on the position of my trimmer?

Damn, now I gotta clean the garage out so you don't see what a sty it became over the winter!

I have given you a 30 day warning. That should be plenty of time. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have only owned one and its the lowest cost Frankford Arsenal there is but its worked like a champ. I figure if it busts this year I'll have 3 years + use out of a 40 dollar tool. That's worth me buying another. Lyman makes good stuff but its all in what your willing to spend.

Loaded up some 38 special last night and was wondering when I would hear from you again. You know that your coming back in the middle of Turkey season so it might be week night training!

I'm gone the next two weekends (juvenile and regular opening weekend) but we can usually do some in the evenings. I just got with the boys and said they had to help me have the spring cleaning on house and garage done by Thursday!

I have only owned one and its the lowest cost Frankford Arsenal there is but its worked like a champ. I figure if it busts this year I'll have 3 years + use out of a 40 dollar tool. That's worth me buying another. Lyman makes good stuff but its all in what your willing to spend.

Loaded up some 38 special last night and was wondering when I would hear from you again. You know that your coming back in the middle of Turkey season so it might be week night training!

I'm gone the next two weekends (juvenile and regular opening weekend) but we can usually do some in the evenings. I just got with the boys and said they had to help me have the spring cleaning on house and garage done by Thursday!

I was torn on the Frankford Arsenal tumbler. On one hand I want a buy a reliable product, but with tough times, I also want to save a penny. I guess I'll try it out.

My time here in Vermont is nearly over. :D I am flying home on the 24th. I hope to take the rest of the month off. I have earned it. Let me know when you get some free time. We'll get together.

RW- Evenings are fine, as long as my employer doesn't decide to send me out of town again.

My tumbler shipped today! Those boys at MidwayUSA are smoking fast. I'll pick up my corn cob media out at the Reloaders Bench when I get home.

EDIT- GET YOUR GARAGE CLEANED OUT! :)