Dominant eye.

Esko 270

I did the test to see witch eye is dominant,turns out I'm left eye dominant. I've been shooting for years and have never got much better along the way,I'm decent but definitely not good,not consistent anyway. I'm right handed and have always shoot with my right eye. Could this be what changes everything?!!:clap: 

1 hour ago, Esko 270 said:

I did the test to see witch eye is dominant,turns out I'm left eye dominant. I've been shooting for years and have never got much better along the way,I'm decent but definitely not good,not consistent anyway. I'm right handed and have always shoot with my right eye. Could this be what changes everything?!!:clap: 

You should always shoot with both eyes open.  Does not matter if it's a pistol, rifle, shotgun, bow or slingshot, both eyes open.  If you are cross eye dominate there are two ways to work around it.  The first of which most resist but is possible and seems to  work best for younger newbies than old dogs is learn to shot with the weak hand.  I have several stories of competitive shooters that I have worked with that swear they thought they would never learn to shoot as good with their weak hand to use their dominate eye and now are  highly successful competitive shooters.  The second option which most can easily adapt to and more than likely have actually kind of been doing anyway restrict the vision of the dominate eye.  Most do this by closing the dominate eye however this is not recommended way of fixing this.  The method that works best is to put some translucent tape on the shooting glasses covering the dominate  eye so as to eliminate the eyes competing to acquire a sight picture. This  works for static targets and moving targets but but handicaps trap and skeet shooters slightly only having one eye to find and lock on to the target.  Of course there is a third option and that is do nothing and keep struggling with the cross eye dominance and you will occasionally hit the target.

• Like 1

Please forgive my bluntness, it makes for fewer sentences. LOL.  Changing to your dominant eye alone will not make you a better shooter.  Good training and proper practice will make you better.  Now changing to your dominant eye in conjunction with the training and practice will yield the greatest improvement.

Cross eye dominance is not preferred but we have little choice in it.  It's a non-issue for pistol shooting.  Just move your head and use your dominant eye.  Now, if you want to be the best you can be with a rifle, shotgun, or bow, use your dominant eye.

• Like 1

I am cross dominant. I have shot off hand all my life. I would now consider myself fairly ambidextrous.

My daughter is cross dominant. I taught her to shoot off hand rifle. She is a fairly accomplished competition shooter for her age now.

Cross dominant isn't the death sentence many make it out to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk