.22LR Savage KB

Guest dotsun

Guest dotsun

Yep, it went KB this weekend at the range. Cheryl's ok, just a singed finger. I was testing my ar in the next bay and her rifle made a noise a .22 just shouldn't make. The only damage appears to be the extractor spring which blew off to God knows where and Cheryl's rattled nerves. On the plus side, she wants a new rifle now. :D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dotsun

The barrel was clear after the fact, no damage apparent. The round underneath it in the tube was pretty well mangled as well. Oh and the round that KB'd was split along the head of the case.

Guest dotsun

Here's a pic of the offending round. Edited to add: I suspect that's what happened, Molonlabe, the case has an obvious firing pin strike. I just think the rifle didn't quite reach battery.

kb2.jpg

Guest Boomhower

At least Cheryl's ok. You can always replace the gun.....hey, maybe it's time for you to fork out for that .22LR target pistol she wants, or do I need to talk to her about that.:drool:

Guest Phantom6

Wow, that kind of excitement we just don't need! :drool: Glad Cheryl is OK.

So, what kind of new rifle you going to get her? :D

Guest dotsun

You guys are great at spending my money! :drool: We looked around yesterday to get an idea of what she wants. I think we're gonna go with a mag fed composite stock .22 of some manufacture. Those things are dirt cheap and she loves the weight savings vs. wood.

Recommendations would be nice, she's not picky with the possible bias against Savage for some reason. :D I doubt we'll go the 10/22 route as those are considerably more than some of the el cheapo ones @ Wally World and Dicks.

I doubt we'll go the 10/22 route as those are considerably more than some of the el cheapo ones @ Wally World and Dicks.

How cheap are you looking to get? I see basic 10/22's for around $160 quite often, and Savage mkII's around the same price. Ashly has a marlin 60 that she really likes but it's not mag fed, the marlin 70 series however is and they are pretty cheap.

Guest dotsun
Oh he's cheap alright!

Bastard! I resemble that remark! :drool:

I'm looking for under $150 out the door, it's not like she wants a match grade barrel or competition trigger. Her main requirements are light weight, mag feed, and light weight. :D We saw plenty of nib rifles for ~$115.

I'd like to find something that I can get spare mags for in the future, I have no idea what kind of after market support there is for anything .22. I may check the local pawn and gun shops and see if they have any used 10/22's. Who knows, maybe I can luck across a decent one.

Branket: Where did you see them for $160?

Guest dotsun

Tower: Cheryl likes the bling of flying brass, me thinks. I could only find single shots on the Rossi site.

Branket: Ahh, yeah that'd make that a no go for her. She's set on a light synthetic. And as Boom pointed out, I'm much too cheap to pony up for the gun and an extra stock. :drool:

Guest Phantom6

Hey dotson, call Charlie over at Charlie's Knives and Guns in Oak Ridge. He's got a real nice 10/22 with a composite stock brand new in the box in your price range I believe. It's RealTree camo pattern but hey, composite is composite. 482.0797

Why is she set on a mag fed rifle? Not criticizing, just curious.

The Model 60 can be found cheap and even with a wood stock it is very lightweight. I like it for the fact of the tube loader is easy to use and does not load up the fingertips with lead like jamming cartridges in a mag does.

Guest dotsun

She's used to loading my other mags, and seems to like that better than loading up the tube. I like it for the fact that we can buy spares for quick reloads.