Gun show in Athens

Guest marine77

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Traumaslave

We need to start a lotto for guessing the available counts. We'll have them sorted revolver/semiauto, bolt action/semi/service, shotties, and other. Say $10 a head each weekend for one of these kinda shows?

I wish the promoter luck, but think him a Moe-ron for scheduling this show on the same weekend as shows in Knoxville (60 miles north) and Dalton (60 miles south.) I know there is lots that goes into scheduling, but I think I'd rather have a show on Superbowl weekend than a weekend with 2 other shows nearby.

Edited by Spuds
Guest de Bear

Just happened to notice your observations about the gun show in Athens. I am the MORON who scheduled the show- back in September of '08. These other knuckleheads chose that same date, either by accident, or on purpose. Those promoters who are of limited vision, view other shows as competition, not allies.

As far as number of tables goes, we have COLLECTED the money for almost 80 tables so far and a typical guard armory will only hold about 90, eight-foot tables, or perhaps about 100, six-foot tables. So, we're doing okay so far, whadya think?

Mention this blog and you may come to the Athens show as my guest.

Edited by de Bear
correction, word omission
Guest Traumaslave

80 tables beats the dickens outta the last Knox show I wasted my $$ on. The big names from Knox won't be there but I'll bet there is a draw from Chatt.

How about giving some specs on the show. Times, address.

Just happened to notice your observations about the gun show in Athens. I am the MORON who scheduled the show- back in September of '08. These other knuckleheads chose that same date, either by accident, or on purpose. Those promoters who are of limited vision, view other shows as competition, not allies.

As far as number of tables goes, we have COLLECTED the money for almost 80 tables so far and a typical guard armory will only hold about 90, eight-foot tables, or perhaps about 100, six-foot tables. So, we're doing okay so far, whadya think?

Mention this blog and you may come to the Athens show as my guest.

Welcome to TGO, I'll be seeing you at the show, and love the avitar. :P

Hi, welcome to TGO. Did you read the first part of my message? The part where I wished you luck? I'm sincere in that. We've talked before, I've set up at a couple of your shows. I didn't realize you scheduled this show last September, and apologize for the MOE-Ron comment (not moron.) I'm excited you are doing these shows and hope they grow. Unfortunately, I have a regular table at the Knoxville show and will be at the Jacob Building on Saturday. I may try to drop by Sunday if I have a chance, but I'll pay my own way if so, and thank you for the offer. I'd rather support you in your efforts than to freeload. My pal Snap Lemon is setting up at your show and called to invite me, not knowing I had committed to Knoxville.

I'm looking forward to the Shriner's show you are doing in March, and hope it's not on the weekend of the 21st-22nd as that is the Alabama Gun Collectors Association show weekend.

Your point about competition is spot on. Eastman used to announce his show schedule a good bit in advance until RK came to GA, now he only announces one show date per venue at a time. RK is prone to put his shows in on top of others in the area, that is a fact!

You likely know more about this than I ever will, but I do have some observations that might possibly help:

RK will always do a show in Chattanooga on the weekend before or after Memorial Day and Labor Day. Schedule a show 2 weeks before and you should have no problem from him unless he schedules Knoxville. He always has a show the weekend before or after July 4 in Knoxville, so ditto, he won't schedule on top of you if you're 2 weeks before. Same for the end of the year, RK is in Knoxville, and also the week of Thanksgiving.

As long as you are here, the recent Cleveland show, it appeared to be put on by the guy in Sevierville, and not your club. Is that the case? I had thought you were to put on a show there in December or January.

I wish you the BEST of luck with the shows you are promoting.

Guest de Bear

No sweat guys. I was not offended by the nom de guerre. It was an accurate observation given the partial information at hand. I just wanted to set the record straight.

People often call me to ask about show hours or days. With few exceptions, all gun shows across the country are basically open to the public 9-5 on Sat and 9-4 on Sun. The only real difference is hours of access for dealers setting up. Some offer optional Friday set up (as we do) and hours will vary on Saturday morning.

In case any of you don't already know, the Athens Armory is located on Hwy 30, just east of town, towards Etowah.

I hope to see you gentlemen at the show. Buy'em while you still can!

Guest Traumaslave

So is this place on the east or west side of I-75? I'll be coming home from work in Chatt, might be the first one in the door!!:up: If ya can read my name, you can pick me out.;)