Made "the call" today about my HCP ...

... I found it interesting how things were phrased on the other end of the phone:

quote (more-or-less):

"I see we have all your background-check information back and everything looks good ... I'll go ahead and issue your permit today, just allow 7-14 days for it to arrive"

I've been putting off 'the call' all week, trying not to be a burden to the system ... I didn't understand that it was actually (apparently) an important part of the process!

So if anyone else is like me & not making the call to check-up on your HCP application - thinking it will come when it comes ... pick up the phone!

(615)253-5221 & follow the menu.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... I found it interesting how things were phrased on the other end of the phone:

quote (more-or-less):

"I see we have all your background-check information back and everything looks good ... I'll go ahead and issue your permit today, just allow 7-14 days for it to arrive"

I've been putting off 'the call' all week, trying not to be a burden to the system ... I didn't understand that it was actually (apparently) an important part of the process!

So if anyone else is like me & not making the call to check-up on your HCP application - thinking it will come when it comes ... pick up the phone!

Look for it next Thursday. :tinfoil:

Did the application & fingerprints on Dec. 24th ... Merry Christmas to me!

So today makes three weeks.

I'd applied for armed guard certification a few weeks before that - so my b/g check & fingerprints had already been run through some state system somewhere not long ago ... the girl at the fingerprint place told me that would help speed things along.

Edited by R.Z.
Did the application & fingerprints on Dec. 24th ... Merry Christmas to me!

So today makes three weeks.

I'd applied for armed guard certification a few weeks before that - so my b/g check & fingerprints had already been run through some state system somewhere not long ago ... the girl at the fingerprint place told me that would help speed things along.

I turned mine in on the 22nd so maybe mine will come next week too. I called on 1/09 for the follow up call. I was told that everything was back except the BG.

I turned mine in on the 22nd so maybe mine will come next week too. I called on 1/09 for the follow up call. I was told that everything was back except the BG.

When I called about mine I was told waiting for the background. I actually got a call from Nashville a week later telling me that my permit had been processed. It was processed the day I called.

I'm not sure, but I think the main reason for this is the 30 days your sheriff has to report back on your application. The sheriff doesn't have to report back, so I guess sometimes the DOS waits the whole 30 days for him/her to get back to them. If you got your permit quick, maybe your sheriff reported back quickly. If you call, knowing many sheriff's don't ever report back, they go ahead and issue it. The law says if one is issued before all background checks comes back, it can be revoked if disqualifying background information comes in later. So I guess they are sort of just taking a gamble.

**This is not based on any information received from any agency or a representative thereof, just my observations of what people have posted on different gun forums.

I got the exact same reply when I called them after waiting 90 days. While I was on the phone with them I asked about my wife's too. She had done her fingerprint thing two weeks before I did mine. Same response.

I'm thinking they must be way too overworked to just issue them when they are ready......(If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you..)

Guest big silver

quote (more-or-less):

I did the samething today. Will be going to walmart in the next 7 to 14 days. Congrats

Guest oldhack62

Well, okay, but mine was STILL issued in three weeks without a phone call!.. (Well, okay, I'm braggin' a bit, too, without any legitimate reason, because I don't have any idea why it happened...)

I am in my 2nd week waiting on the state. I did my class 12-28-08. Got a certified copy of my birt cert 12-29-08. Went to the drivers license place 12-30-08. Got fingered printed 12-31-08. Now the wait is on. How long should I wait before calling about it? Thanks, gearyr

I just called about the status on my HCP. They told me I would get it in 7-14 days! And I was going to wait till next Wed. before I called about it. So I have got to get busy and find good holsters for my Ruger P89 &P90. I have a ACE that fits both of them. It has the pouch on it for a extra magazine. A lot of weight with the P89 with 2 15 round mags. So I am really happy that my HCP will be here soon!!!! gearyr.

Edited by gearyr
addin more info

I had mine renewed early last year and it was pushing up on the 90 days. I've got the email addy of one of the ladies who helps and she was very helpful, said mine was still processing and that if it wasn't done by the end of the week she would send me a paper saying i was still valid or something like that, emailed her later that week and said she was going to go ahead and issue mine, had it a few days later.

Very nice lady

I can't imagine what it's like now. I bet they are super swamped. I was thinking about buying a handgun but heard even NICS was running slow on them