Summertime carry

I live in Shelby County. In the heat of summer (Which really isn't hot nor humid compared to Mobile Alabama, where we moved from in 2005) I carry the same way I do in the winter. OWB, Blackhawk SERPA holster on my right hip. The only difference is, in the Spring/Summer months, I open carry. There is no need to conceal in Tennessee. 100% legal to open carry and I do.

I'm not the only one either, open carry is fairly common in Shelby County. No one has ever freaked out, made any bad comments not asked me to leave. It is just normal here.

That's the same setup I have. Blackhawk Serpa at 3:00-4:00.

As for open carry, I haven't seen anyone carry openly. Maybe I just don't get out much. I know that we're able to, I just haven't seen anyone do so.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in Shelby County 37 years and have seen exactly two people OCing. One had a SIG in a Delta Force wannabe thigh rig--a friend and I literally laughed out loud at the guy. I think we pissed him off.

Wal-Mart will supposedly ask you to conceal or leave. I haven't tested them, and don't plan to (I'm all about discretion).

Edited by deerslayer
Guest TN_Mike
I've lived in Shelby County 37 years and have seen exactly two people OCing. One had a SIG in a Delta Force wannabe thigh rig--a friend and I literally laughed out loud at the guy. I think we pissed him off.

Wal-Mart will supposedly ask you to conceal or leave. I haven't tested them, and don't plan to (I'm all about discretion).

I've lived in Shelby County all my life and I might have seen two people carry open, one being my dad. I prefer to keep it somewhat hidden as to avoid all the stares.

Sorry you guys haven't seen all of us. I know of 14 people out here in Arlington who OC. It is quite common.

And as for Walmart, they do not ask you to conceal or leave. I have OC'd at the following Walmarts: Highway 64 in Bartlett, Highway 64 in Oakland, Germantown Parkway in Memphis, the Walmart Neighborhood Market on Memphis-Arlington Road, The Sams Club in Bartlett on 64, The Sams Club on Getwell by I-40, the Walmart in Millington. I have also Open carried at the Costco on Germantown by I-40, the Target on Germantown across from Wolfchase Mall and at Wolfchase Mall itself. The Bed Bath and Beyond there, the Book Store there outside the Mall, the Lowes on 64 in Bartlett, the Home Depot across from the Mall, and at nearly ever single Subway resturaunt in the County. Obviously the Kroger in Arlington and pretty much the whole town as far as Arlington goes. I ride a bicycle in the summer for exercise all over the area of Arlington and I OC while I ride. Never a bad comment, never a call to the police.

Walmart Corporate Policy states that the stores are to follow the law of the state they are located in. Thus, since Open Carry is legal in Tennessee, it is OK in Walmarts in Tennessee. If they ask you to conceal or leave, get the managers name, store number and call Walmart HQ in Arkansas. They will rectify the problem.

This has been discussed at length on opencarry.org

And as for discretion, that's fine if that is what you are really about. But Open Carry is 100% legal in all of Tennessee. It is why our permit is a Handgun Carry Permit and not a Concealed Carry Permit. So be discrete, just don't be ashamed or embarassed that you carry. Open carry gets the sheep more used to the fact that mere citizens can carry a gun to protect themselves. Open carry is a good thing for gun rights.

Edited by TN_Mike
Sorry you guys haven't seen all of us. I know of 14 people out here in Arlington who OC. It is quite common.

And as for Walmart, they do not ask you to conceal or leave. I have OC'd at the following Walmarts: Highway 64 in Bartlett, Highway 64 in Oakland, Germantown Parkway in Memphis, the Walmart Neighborhood Market on Memphis-Arlington Road, The Sams Club in Bartlett on 64, The Sams Club on Getwell by I-40, the Walmart in Millington. I have also Open carried at the Costco on Germantown by I-40, the Target on Germantown across from Wolfchase Mall and at Wolfchase Mall itself. The Bed Bath and Beyond there, the Book Store there outside the Mall, the Lowes on 64 in Bartlett, the Home Depot across from the Mall, and at nearly ever single Subway resturaunt in the County. Obviously the Kroger in Arlington and pretty much the whole town as far as Arlington goes. I ride a bicycle in the summer for exercise all over the area of Arlington and I OC while I ride. Never a bad comment, never a call to the police.

Walmart Corporate Policy states that the stores are to follow the law of the state they are located in. Thus, since Open Carry is legal in Tennessee, it is OK in Walmarts in Tennessee. If they ask you to conceal or leave, get the managers name, store number and call Walmart HQ in Arkansas. They will rectify the problem.

And as for discretion, that's fine if that is what you are really about. But Open Carry is 100% legal in all of Tennessee. It is why our permit is a Handgun Carry Permit and not a Concealed Carry Permit. So be discrete, just don't be ashamed or embarassed that you carry. Open carry gets the sheep more used to the fact that mere citizens can carry a gun to protect themselves. Open carry is a good thing for gun rights.

I think ConditionThree at Opencarry.org said it very well

By repeatedly and successfully carrying an exposed handgun, I am calling the anti-gunners tactics.

1) It defeats their assertions that blood would run in the streets.

2) It dispels the myth that only police can or should carry a weapon.

3) It does not create great stampedes, riots, or widespread social discord.

4) It disproves their theory that the presence of a gun increases the incidence of crime.

And the really great part about this demonstration is, I don't even have to respond to their rhetoric.

Guest bkelm18

I'm thinking not likely. I do recall reading somewhere of someone doing this very thing and HQ said it was the manager's discretion or some such nonsense. That was some time ago so things may have changed since then. If they want you to leave, you gotta leave.

I'm thinking not likely. I do recall reading somewhere of someone doing this very thing and HQ said it was the manager's discretion or some such nonsense. That was some time ago so things may have changed since then. If they want you to leave, you gotta leave.

Yes, if you are asked to leave, you must or face the possibility of criminal trespass charges. That in no way stops a person from contacting corporate and making a complaint. Walmart will rectify the situation as long as open carry is legal in the state (and only 6 states forbid open carry).

There are many recent cases detailed on OpenCarry.org about this happening around the country.

I have only seen two. One was coming into the range, he might have been OC'ing just coming to the range, but the HCP Badge said otherwise. He was carrying a revolver.

The second was at McAllisters by the Paradiso movies. This guy was wider than he was tall, was driving a retired dark blue Impala, with tinted windows all the way around, still had the spot light on front windshield, no hubcaps, personal license plate. He was carrying a Glock in a Blackhawk Serpa holster.

I have on occasion, but usually concealed. But as I said, I do print a little in the summer, with shorts and a tshirt on, usually I wear it in my CTAC at a 3 oclock position so that I print less. Of course the color of the tshirt matters, the a white cheaper shirt prints more than a good quality dark color tshirt.

Hah, yes the dark shirt in the summer. This has actually become a joke to some of my friends. "Why are you wearing a dark shirt in the summer? Arent you hot?"

My response: " I just like black."

Hah, yes the dark shirt in the summer. This has actually become a joke to some of my friends. "Why are you wearing a dark shirt in the summer? Arent you hot?"

My response: " I just like black."

Hey, wear an undershirt under your tshirt and see what kinda comments you get....You can always counter that with "arm pit stain" protection!!:tinfoil:

Bed Bath and Beyond. haha.

I was in there once because my blender broke... had to reach up to get one off the help above me and my shirt lifted. The very attractive blond associate saw it and proceeded to comment "Thats sexy" in a very seductive tone. :tinfoil:

When I was growing up in Ohio, it was cords off and into the drawer, khakis (Dickies) out and on. Now it is 640 and OWB into the Gun Safe with 642 and pocket holster out and on.

The 642 was designed to be the consumate summer gun, IWB or pocket, it just disappears into summer clothing.

When my wife sees the 642 on the nightstand she knows summer is really here!

Guest johnmattwill
Just ordered my first real attempt at a cc holster. It looked good, got great reviews. I should have it next week, I will see how it looks with a t-shirt and summer shorts, and let you all know.

What "d you order??

Hmmm...I live in Bartlett and have never seen anyone OCing in any of those places. I'll have to pay more attention.

I suppose many see a guy OCing and assume he's a cop (or maybe they just avoid the guy wearing the gun on his hip). I have always liked to blend in and not draw attention, so I don't open carry. I don't think there is such a thing as being discreet while OCing. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. I've never understood why fans of open carry believe they are doing gunowners such a favor.

Hmmm...I live in Bartlett and have never seen anyone OCing in any of those places. I'll have to pay more attention.

I suppose many see a guy OCing and assume he's a cop (or maybe they just avoid the guy wearing the gun on his hip). I have always liked to blend in and not draw attention, so I don't open carry. I don't think there is such a thing as being discreet while OCing. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. I've never understood why fans of open carry believe they are doing gunowners such a favor.

I think it's a to each their own kinda thing, but literally the only reason I don't personally OC is to have an advantage and a choice to deploy or not.

I think OC is great and I think we should all fight to retain the right. It's just like 44M doesn't see the need for "assault weapons", if you don't support OC you're not part of the solution.

As gunowners we have to stand together even if the other person's choice isn't something we choose to exercise ourselves. Not being heavy handed, but just because one person chooses OC over CC or vice versa it does not make one party better than the other.

I think OC is great and I think we should all fight to retain the right. It's just like 44M doesn't see the need for "assault weapons", if you don't support OC you're not part of the solution.

I do support open carry, but only for two reasons: to keep the concealed carry crowd from going to jail for printing or accidently exposing their weapon, and to maintain some type of unity with gun owners. It has nothing to do with wanting to protect someone's right to walk around in Wal-Mart with a .44 mag on their hip for everyone to see. I also support everyone's right to smoke five packs of cigarettes a day, but don't think it's prudent to do so.

Please don't compare me to 44M. I'm not :bow:

Here's a link to another thread relating to OCing at Wally World:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12834&highlight=wal-mart+open+carry

Edited by deerslayer
Guest johnmattwill

When I first got my HCP, I saw at different times 2 people that open carried at our local Walmart....

I too am glad for open carry, mainly for the fact that I dont have to worry about printing or exposing by accident....

Im fairly new to carrying, so I would probably be too anxious at this point to open carry... Im just getting confortable with concealed carry....

Perhaps I don't get out enough or I'm not as observant as I should be. :bow: I'm glad this is an open carry state, I just don't open carry all the time. I don't get worried if I'm printing or if my gun/holster shows if my shirt raises up if I raise my arms. I haven't had any problems so far.

When I first got my HCP, I saw at different times 2 people that open carried at our local Walmart....

I too am glad for open carry, mainly for the fact that I dont have to worry about printing or exposing by accident....

/quote]

The most important point of all. I would never open carry in public, but I need the Open Carry provision to keep from getting in trouble with an inadvertant flash of my holstered revolver. Therefore, I have to support open carry as hard as I do concealed carry. Tennessee has it right and we have to keep it that way: You can carry a handgun, PERIOD!

Guest TN_Mike
I think it's a to each their own kinda thing, but literally the only reason I don't personally OC is to have an advantage and a choice to deploy or not.

As gunowners we have to stand together even if the other person's choice isn't something we choose to exercise ourselves. Not being heavy handed, but just because one person chooses OC over CC or vice versa it does not make one party better than the other.

If I have been misunderstood, that was not my intent.

I have no problem at all with concealed carry. I do it too. But I choose to open carry a majority of the time in the warm months. Either way is fine.

As for any tactical advantage you may thing you have buy carrying concealed only, you would be fooling yourself there. Experienced gang members and other street criminals, of which Shelby County has an abundance of, can spot someone who is CCW from a mile away. In fact, they are far better at it than any police officer I have ever met. It isn't hard. It's 95 degrees and there is a guy walking across the Kroger parking lot with shorts on but a T-Shirt AND and unbuttoned button up style shirt? Pretty good chance he is CCW.

You aren't concerned that your gun prints or that you expose your holster while reaching for something on the top shelf with your dominant hand at Walmart? You may as well be open carrying because any punk watching you now knows you have a gun. And people who CCW and think they conceal it well tend to be less observant of people around them than a person who KNOWS his gun is out in the open.

OC tends to make you much more alert and observant than your run of the mill CCW'er.

But I have no problem with those who want to CCW only. As I said, as long as you do it because that is what you prefer and not out of some sense of shame or embarassment that you carry a gun or because you are worried about freaking out the sheeple.

What "d you order??

I ordered the Comp-Tac undercover pro for a Ruger P90. I will post pics when it comes in. I wear alot of shorts, beach style shorts, and tank tops as well as t-shirts. I wanted something that would just "clip" onto my shorts, but ride IWB style. I hope I like it, I read some reviews and folks said it worked for them just fine in warm weather.

My .02 on OC, is the same as the 1st Ammendment. You have the freedom of speech, and must decide when and where to inteligently use such freedom. OC is fine, and has a place. Choose your places I say.

When pulled over by the Police, you sure do have the right to fire off at them with a bit of attitude, but then.....the warning turns into a ticket or two.

Choose your battles wisely....