AR-15 optics

JW3Percent

I'm lost... I just bought a new AR15 with a flat-top receiver/picatinny rail and a Midwest front stock (w/rail).

It has the stock unmovable front sight and nothing else. I have found a couple of BUIS options that I like, but I'm having trouble choosing from the oodles of optics available.

Any insight? Opinions? I know this is sort of a noob question, but searching yeilds too many scattered responses that are not exactly on target.

Also, I've seen a few "scopes" that have a magnifier or something behind it... can someone explain this setup to me?

Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EasilyObsessed
pesonally if u wanna fork out the money an acog by trijicon would be prefered but wanna go a little cheaper an eotech with maginifier will do the job

If you buy the eotech magnifier, it isnt really any cheaper than picking up an ACOG.

I have an aimpoint you can try out if you like.

You can get a 3x magnifier to put behind it. But on my rifle I thought it would be slightly pointless.

Also, one thing you want to look at in optics is the co-witness, Whether you want absolute , lower 1/3rd, etc.

-Mike

I guess it really depends on what you plan on using the AR for.

I figured that I probably wouldn't be doing much shooting over 100 yards, so I went with the EOTech 511.A65/1 (shorter model). Plus, it's small enough to place a rear BUIS behind it, without moving the optic too far onto the handgaurd. On top of all that, I wasn't interested in spending the big money on some of the other more expensive options. I didn't care for the ACOG at all.

In the slight chance that I find myself wanting to shoot much more than 100 yards, I always have the option of buying a magnifier. The magnifier simply magnifies the view through your optic. You're basically looking through the magnifier and the optic at the same time.

Edited by TripleDigitRide