Summer Carry Weapon

SkWaShDeM

I'm starting the process of looking for a thinner, smaller pistol to carry in the summers. Thinner and smaller than my XD-9 4". I'm wondering if anyone's got some firsthand knowledge of any of these that they could relate:

Kel-Tec PF-9

Kahr K-9/MK-9

H&K P2000SK

Price isn't so much of a factor, I'll spend what I have to spend. Logic would dictate that I should get a 3" XD since I have extra magazines already, but I don't like the looks of the XD SC and want something thinner.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd already planned to get a P3AT actually, but as a backup gun, or something to be carried when wardrobe or location required something that hidden. I'm looking at those mentioned above as primary carry guns that are smaller than the XD I have, but still in 9mm.

I'm more worried that the P2000SK is going to be just as thick as my XD. Anyone had some trigger time on these that they could tell me about?

XDs aren't really that thick... They are blocky though. At the widest, the P2000 is about as thin as an XD (1.1"), but is far more contoured, so I wouldn't worry about it being difficult to carry. It will not, however, be as thin as the other 2 you mentioned.

Never fired a P2000SK, they do have a nice trigger though, I intend to own a standard size P2000 in the near future.

Guest sermon8r
I'm starting the process of looking for a thinner, smaller pistol to carry in the summers. Thinner and smaller than my XD-9 4". I'm wondering if anyone's got some firsthand knowledge of any of these that they could relate:

Kel-Tec PF-9

Kahr K-9/MK-9

H&K P2000SK

Price isn't so much of a factor, I'll spend what I have to spend. Logic would dictate that I should get a 3" XD since I have extra magazines already, but I don't like the looks of the XD SC and want something thinner.

I have a P-11 and its fine for pocket carry. the trigger isnt as nice as the XD or a 1911 but it goes bang when you need it too.

I shot a P7 one time and didn't really like it that much. It was interesting, but it just didn't suit me. I've never handled or shot an EMP, so I can't really say much on that score. So if I come across one I can shoot, I might look into it. 1911's in general are too big for my hands, so unless they've really carved some depth out of the grip on the EMP, it'll probably be too big in the grip. Same problem I found when I went to look at the Glock 36 as a possible carry piece.

Guest rockytop

I carry a Kahr PM9 in a Desantis Nemisis holster in my front pocket, and it conceals really well in slacks or jeans. I don't think it prints enough to worry about being made by anyone. About the only ones likely to suspect it was a gun would be a LEO or another ""concealed carry" American.

If the 1911 grip is too big for you, I dont see how any gun (short of a pocket gun) would fit your hands...

A single stack 1911 is about as thin as you will find in a "real gun"

That being said; I respect your grip concerns.

One thing I preach to prospective gun buyers is that the gun MUST feel right in their hands.

We normally put around 8-12 guns on the counter that range in size and grip angle for all new gun owners.

This will allow them to figure out what feels right, and what doesnt feel good to them.

Once we have an idea of grip preference, we then move to match caliber and price range.

Another suggestion for your carry gun:

Have you looked at the Taurus PT-111?

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=24&category=Pistol

Cheap and small :2cents:

It's easier to explain if you put a 1911 in my hand... but the biggest issue I have with a 1911 is frontstrap to backstrap is too big for my hand. Width from left to right is just fine. Every .45 I've ever picked up has given me trouble though with the grip. They either feel too big (Glock 36, 1911), or just feel strange in my hand (Kahr P45, H&K USP 45). My XD-9 feels perfect. Any Glock that's not in .45ACP feels fine to me, even the .45GAP ones. Sig P-series is fine. I haven't seen a P220 compact or P245 locally, so I don't know about those two.

I've come to a conclusion. One of the big things for me, is I want to be able to thumb the slide release with my grip hand. I can't do that on a 1911 without shifting the pistol about 15 degrees to the left or release the slide with my support hand. That's why I say they're too big. I can shoot one just fine. It's more of a personal quirk I guess.

Regarding the PT-111, I put about 50 rounds through my ex's step-dad's one time. The trigger was about the worst I've ever felt on a semi-auto.

Regarding the PT-111, I put about 50 rounds through my ex's step-dad's one time. The trigger was about the worst I've ever felt on a semi-auto.

I agree that the OLD PT-111 trigger was complete junk!

I was very pleased when I felt the new Mil-Pro 111. MUCH improved trigger feel.

It's easier to explain if you put a 1911 in my hand... but the biggest issue I have with a 1911 is frontstrap to backstrap is too big for my hand. Width from left to right is just fine. Every .45 I've ever picked up has given me trouble though with the grip. They either feel too big (Glock 36, 1911), or just feel strange in my hand (Kahr P45, H&K USP 45). My XD-9 feels perfect. Any Glock that's not in .45ACP feels fine to me, even the .45GAP ones. Sig P-series is fine. I haven't seen a P220 compact or P245 locally, so I don't know about those two.

I've come to a conclusion. One of the big things for me, is I want to be able to thumb the slide release with my grip hand. I can't do that on a 1911 without shifting the pistol about 15 degrees to the left or release the slide with my support hand. That's why I say they're too big. I can shoot one just fine. It's more of a personal quirk I guess.

The SA EMP-9 has a shorter (front-to-back) grip than a standard 1911... that might be an excellent solution, as Joe mentioned. Also, make sure that you try some 1911s with flat mainspring housings... arched housings do make the grip seem a slightly thicker and more awkward for some hands.

I can't manipulate the slide-release on a 1911 with my strong-side thumb from a shooting grip either... I almost always sling-shot the slide, but I have also found that I can very easily manipulate the slide release on 'most any pistol with the thumb of my weak hand, from a two-handed grip, as I bring the gun back on target.

Another gun to look at is the Taurus PT-745... It's a single-stack sibling of the PT-145 Mil-Pro. the trigger won't be impressive, but they have improved on the earlier Millennium models.

Guest utarch00

I would try the S&W M&P in either full or compact size. With the different backstraps, you should be able to get it to fit you.

...interesting discussion.

Kudos to Joe at Hero Gear for superior customer service in gun selection. That's the way it should be done. Gun fit is critical.

For a summer carry gun in 9mm, might I suggest the Glock 26? (Who here is surprised? Anyone?)

Pros:

9mm, per the user's desires

1.18" in width maximum (less than a J-frame for example)

Holds 10+1

Loaded weight is about 26 oz.

Its a Glock

Slide it in a nice inside pocket holster, and it will print less than most and not sag your pants as much either.

Skwashdem's hands fit it well.

Cons:

Not as thin and/or light as some listed here.

More expensive than some listed here.

Its a Glock.

If I'm in Winchester over the summer, I'll be stopping by. Maybe sometime in July, I know I have to be in the Chattanooga area in mid-July, and it doesn't look too far on the map for a quick trip over on my one off day for that job.

More suggestions are always welcome, the three I listed were just the ones that I'd been looking at the most. I'll shoot anything at least once.

And definitely a big plus for Joe is his customer service attitude. Could you come brainwash some of the FFL's here in Johnson City into thinking like that for me? That'd be swell.

If I'm in Winchester over the summer, I'll be stopping by. Maybe sometime in July, I know I have to be in the Chattanooga area in mid-July, and it doesn't look too far on the map for a quick trip over on my one off day for that job.

More suggestions are always welcome, the three I listed were just the ones that I'd been looking at the most. I'll shoot anything at least once.

And definitely a big plus for Joe is his customer service attitude. Could you come brainwash some of the FFL's here in Johnson City into thinking like that for me? That'd be swell.

Thanks for the kind words.

When you are in the area, make sure you stop by and we will take bunch of guns out and spend a few hours shooting.