Most popular deer caliber?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88

Last I heard the .270 was for east of the mississippi, and the 7mm was for the rest of the country. That was from a gun salesman. personally around here i would say it is the 06 also.

Different sites will lead to different conclusions based upon the topography of the areas. Some are more suited for brush (30-30 or .35 rem)...some for greater distances and more open (30-06 0r 7mm). The results will vary. Around here, I think most shots are taken inside of 75 yrds...a few are longer than that. I use a .270win...for me it will serve both and I appreciate the less recoil...makes for better shots when not anticipating the kick to get your attention.

I would say the 30-30 and 30-06 are the two top calibers for deer taken over the last 100 years. Not sure which is #1 though.

That would be my guess as well. I always used a 30-06. One of my good friends bought a fancy new .270 back in the early 90's

I think different geographical areas require different types of hunting rifles. I use a Browning Lever Action 308. It is short so I can use it as a "brush gun" or a long distance gun. I have shot it out to 400 yards at a paper target and the results were awsome about a 3 or 4 inch group at 400 yards not bad considering I was using a coat and the hood of my truck as a shooting rest. As far as top guns I would also say 30-30 or 30-06 then 270 my top 3.

Edited by Hunting101

i still hunt with my grandpas old winchester 30/30 its kind of sentimental to me so i take one a year with her,i also have a 7mm but it really does to much damage for my taste. i have also taken a few with a 22-250. i would say the 30-30 probably still ranks way up there it might even be the top pick around here.

at close rang a 7mm will not only field dress a deer it will half cook them for you, i shot a nice six last year he faced away from me at about 30 yards i tried to pull my shot back up his ribs to get a heart shot i think he shifted as i pulled the trigger, or i just pulled a bad shot one, it went in his back left leg and blew it off completely exited his right front shoulder and tore it all to pieces and everything in between was destroyed, i got one ham and one shoulder from the deer, and im a meat hunter i never leave any meat on the deer ,if i leave anything it is the horns.

Guest Mugster

Lol, a 7mm. I took a shoulder shot at a buck some years ago and sorta missed. Blew his front leg off above the knee. The followup shot caught him in the back between the shoulders and made a big mess. So, I gave up on 7mm unless i need something to take a long shot. I mostly hunt for sport now i guess, but i do like the meat.

From whats on the shelves, .30-06, .270, and 7mm bolts look to be the most popular. Back in the mid 80's in the days of my misspent youth, the .30-30 ruled. That and a 4x scope mounted high so you could see the iron sights. The remington 742 self loader was the THING back in the 90's. That and a redfield scope. I think a mildly loaded .308 or a .243 is a good deer round, but its on the outs for some reason.

When I started deer hunting in the early 1950s the high camp hunters in the area just about all used model 94 winchester in 30-30. It was a poor area and many hunters could not afford a rifle so we always thought more deer were killed with punkin balls or buckshot. My dad bucked the crowd with a model 94 winchester in 25-35 cal. I still have that gun today. Yep, it has killed a few.

ray, the oldogy

Guest Mugster

You don't hear about deer camps so much anymore. Our old neighbors used to get together and put up a big tent for a hunt. Have a good time and cook up some good food. Break out the homemade wine.

You don't hear about deer camps so much anymore. Our old neighbors used to get together and put up a big tent for a hunt. Have a good time and cook up some good food. Break out the homemade wine.

Growing up, we had leased land in Fayette County, along the northern edge of the Aims Plantation for those that are familiar with that area, National Bird Dog Trials are held there, anyway, we had a old, old "haunted" in my opinion old, log cabin that we stayed in, it was more of a shelter with a pot belly stove in the middle of the floor. We were not allowed to go into some of the rooms, which was fine by me. We then bought a single wide trailer and pulled up there, that was camp for many years. Ahhh memories.

At close range, won't a 7mm field dress the deer too?

I hunted many years with a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm and I have shot alot of deer at close range and never had a problem with the bullet doing that much damage. Yeah it was a little more but my 06 and 270 have done worse. I guess it depends on load/bullet and what angle.

There is a youth hunting club in Perry County were young hunters can win prizes such as guns, etc...Well I think it is still there.

30-30 Winchester has supposedly killed more deer than any other cartridge. I believe the best deer cartridge and rifle set is the one you shoot best...whether that be a mild on the should 243 or a 300 winchester magnum. It's the man behind the gun that counts!