Glock 19 or 26 for IDPA and cc???

Guest JCM

Hey Guys,

I've been shooting pistols regularly for the past couple years and I'm really getting interested in IDPA comps. I'm looking for a good cc weapon that I can also be competitive with at competitions. I've never had a concealed carry weapon that I've been totally happy with. I currently carry a Sig P6, but I've been working at the range with my Glock 22. I'm much more accurate with 9mm handguns, and I like the opperation and feel of my Glock, so I want to buy either a Glock 19 or 26 and use it as a competitive gun as well as my primary cc gun. There are obvious advantages to both models. I'm not sure I want to carry anything larger than the 26, but the 19 sounds more appealing for competition.

You may suggest carrying something small and competing with a G17 or 19, but I really want to compete with my primary carry.

I guess my question is, which gun would be a better overall gun for cc and competition?

As I type this message, I realize I sound a little like my wife :D

Any advice is definitely appreciated.

Jason

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abailey362

it depends on many factors. do you carry IWB or OWB? are you a small guy or a big guy. will you be competing for fun and trigger time or to win?

i am comfortable most of the time with a sig p229 as my carry piece and shot idpa with it for a while. as I get more into the sport, i realize that to be more competitive i will need something more suited for the game, as you probably will once you start shooting matches

it depends on many factors. do you carry IWB or OWB? are you a small guy or a big guy. will you be competing for fun and trigger time or to win?

I usually carry IWB. I'm average...6', 200 lbs. I will compete for fun at first, but I mainly want to be proficient with my carry gun and have fun shooting. I'm currently building a small, private steel range to practice.

I just don't want to buy the smaller 26 and realize it sucks as a competitive gun.

Nothing wrong with the 19 at all. I carry mine sometimes and its awesome at the range with a good set of sights.

The compensation really makes follow up shots quick and accurate... though i wouldnt advise carrying a ported gun at night for obvious reasons.

I have competed three or four times with my G27, and did suprisingly well. That said, you will be much better off with a 19 over a 26 if you want a CCW that doubles as a competitive IDPA gun. With your size, it will be easy to conceal (especially with an IWB holster), and it is easier to shoot. I used a 19 in IDPA for a year and a half, but finally gave in and got a 34. I still shoot the 19 in matches now and then.

Thanks guys,

After much discussion with friends, it seems like the difference in size is minimal and most people can conceal the 19 just as easily as the 26. I'm going with the 19.

I agree that a G19 is a good multi purpose size but I no longer believe that a multi purpose gun is the route to go....

I think if you like Glocks :) you need

1 to carry, The smallest G26/27

1 for the house/Bedroom, Med/Lg G17/22

1 to shoot/compete with, Lg G34/35

Of course you will need more than three but you get the idea.

I also like to keep my Carry and House guns clean and ready to go which gets to be a PITA if you do much shooting... YMMV

The 19 is the best choice for what you want.To me the 26/27 is about useless.Too big for pocket carry so if you belt carry then the 19/23 allows a full hand grip to draw.

Like the others said 19. If you can try the 2 sizes see what you like that helps.

Will add that what see a lot with 26/27's people add finger ext or +1 +2 pads and make the grip as long as the 19. Why not just buy the 19 etc.

Know lots of LEO's that bought back up 27's for there G22 duty guns and they all have the extended pads for there last finger. If your looking for ankle gun get 26 you can add grip sleeve and run 19 mags or 17 mags in it.

The 19 is the way to go. As previously stated, if you can conceal the 26 you can just as easily conceal the 19. You are not giving up anything with the 19 and can be just as competitive with it as you would be with a larger pistol. Gallatin Gun Club has the IDPA classifier in Feb. Come out and give your new 19 a try.

thanks for all the good advice. The 26/27 are slightly smaller and easier to conceal, but with 10 round mags I will feel compelled to carry an extra mag. I think the 19 will work best for me.

thanks for all the good advice. The 26/27 are slightly smaller and easier to conceal, but with 10 round mags I will feel compelled to carry an extra mag. I think the 19 will work best for me.

Carry a spare mag anyway, the only time you can have too much ammo is when you're swimming.

You should harass Poak about his that he has up for possible sale.

Its a good price and he's a cool dude. :(

Guest Todd@CIS
The 19 is the best choice for what you want.To me the 26/27 is about useless.Too big for pocket carry so if you belt carry then the 19/23 allows a full hand grip to draw.

+1

Unless you pocket carry a G26, a G19 carries just as easily on a belt and (to me) makes the Glock subcompact series useless.

for IDPA comps i would not use a glock 26. the smallest i would use is the glock 17 with many changes to the gun. you might be able to use a glock 19, it depends on how well you shoot. the big problem is a IDPA gun does not make a good carry gun and a carry gun does not make a good match gun. now i am not saying that you can not shoot a match with your carry gun,, you can but you will be at the bottom when the match is over. the problem with pistols matches you will get up in the biggest $$$ gun is the best gun for the match and normal standard guns will not cut it.

g26 vs. g19... i've got g26 that i've had for a couple years, and honestly i could probably count on my hands how many times i've shot it with the stock mags, no fun, you'll only use the short one's when you absolutely have to, or if you really have got to have a glock and need that extra little bit less to keep it hidden.

i agree 100% with everyone else who has said the g19 will conceal almost as well (thickness matters far more than length IMHO).

while the g26 ain't that bad of a gun, 99.9% of the time i use g19 mags w/ mag sleeves or mags w/ pierce extensions... basically turning it into a short barrel 19, and now really the gun feels almost useless to me without the longer mags and/or add ons.

so... as a g26 owner (soon to be a g26 seller), i'd implore you to go w/ the g19... that is UNLESS of course you can find a Steyr M9-A1 that is (my favorite pistol by far, and the reason i don't have a g19 anymore... it's kinda like the g19's better built/looking/feeling cousin w/ a better trigger... yeah the one w/ the weird sights.... IMO they kick ass for fast shooting... i'd at least check 'em out before you get the glock if you haven't already... not everybody's cup o' tea, but those who like 'em, love 'em, and the quality is more like that of an $$$ H&K).

however, if you can only have 1 handgun, the g19 is hard to beat. the talo one's are good lookers too...

i have to disagree with the above post though... the Steyr is my EDC and performs as good or better than anything i've seen at a match. and i can almost bet no one else will have "big taco" sights!

Edited by CK1
for IDPA comps i would not use a glock 26. the smallest i would use is the glock 17 with many changes to the gun. you might be able to use a glock 19, it depends on how well you shoot. the big problem is a IDPA gun does not make a good carry gun and a carry gun does not make a good match gun. now i am not saying that you can not shoot a match with your carry gun,, you can but you will be at the bottom when the match is over. the problem with pistols matches you will get up in the biggest $$$ gun is the best gun for the match and normal standard guns will not cut it.

Hmmm...bring your 17 with all its changes and your paycheck; I'll bring my stock 19, and we'll see who's on the bottom...:)

my only change/upgrade for IDPA... the amazing TACTICAL BIKE TUBE!

IMG_0228.jpg

Guest cdsusong

I shoot a G19 in IDPA and I have also owned a G26. I would never take the 26 to a match unless I was going just to practice with it and spend some rounds. I recently sold the 26 for a Ruger SR9. Hopefully I will be using it in matches this spring. The 19 is very easy to carry, I only have a belt holster for it (Blackhawk Serpa) but with a jacket or untucked shirt, it is no prob. For matches I would go with the longer barrel for a better sight picture. For accuracy, longer is better. That is why some have recommended the 17 or 34. 34 is the bomb for IDPA and it fits in the "box".

I understand you want to use your carry gun for matches, but I feel a gun for carry and another gun for matches is the way to go. In the IDPA game accuracy is key and the shorter weapon will not yield the best results, again IMO

Guest VTCessnaPilot

For IDPA, get the biggest gun you're comfortable with... a 19 or 17.

For carry, I ended up choosing the 26.. and I love it. I carry in some places that require deep concealment, and the 26 is one of the largest guns your can still ankle carry. In hot months, I carry IWB with an MTAC, and could not love the setup more. I don't care what some say, the difference in grip size between a 26 and 19 is a huge difference to me when trying to conceal and not print.

Instead of getting a finger extension for my mags (and nullifying the 26's more compact size), I went with some of these replacement magazine plates:

http://www.concealablecontrol.com/

They don't add any extra length, but add a tremendous amount of control. Best thing I've bought for any gun in a long while.

I shoot my 26 better with the stock short mags in it than I do with 19 mags in it. I dont need my pinky to control the gun at all. I think not having my pinky on the grip helps me to be more even in gripping, instead of using too much pinky and "milking" the grip.