16" .308 battle rifle PTR91 or Imbel FAL?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PTR's are really nice. Just kind of hard to find. I'm picking up my PTR-91SC on Monday. Every PTR I've ever shot was a great shooter. Plus they're mostly American parts, and assembled up in Connecticut, so you get the extra bonus of stimulating the American economy when buying one. :)

Guest Todd@CIS

Upfront, I'll say that I'm not an authority on either rifle.

Based on my limited experience, I'd probably go with a FAL.

1. Ergonomics. FAL has it all over the H&K/PTR. The H&K safety was designed for racoon claws.

2. Recoil. FAL has less. This point isn't a biggie, though.

3. Are you a reloader? Don't bother with the PTR then.

4. FAL has last round bolt-hold-open. PTR does not.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest Mugster

I like the .308 ar-10 designs better than either. I think they are more accurate, better ergonomics, and lighter in weight depending on the barrel than other .308's. I dunno how long they will hold up, but mine seem well built.

Guest malbolja

I owned a 16" FAL for a while. I really didn't care for it. 4-5" was the best I got out of it (with a scope - the irons were awful even with a hooded peep) after trying several different kinds of ammo. Couldn't reach the safety with my thumb without drastically changing my grip. OTOH it's a very simple, reliable mechanism and never hiccuped during the several hundred rounds I fired through it.

I ended up with a SOCOM and never looked back.

Guest Traumaslave

I have a PTR full sized, and have shot FALs. I am all about the PTR. Correct are those about reloading, the ejection process is violent and puts a big dent in the side of the cases. That being said, I have reloaded those cases twice. As far as ergonomics, I don't see a big difference since every gun is different. I think the SOCOMs are great but, they are a battle axe, they weigh a ton. I would reserve .308 for a full sized rifle and go with a smaller caliber for a "carry". (not trying to get on an AR thing) You can have so much more that is easier to carry.

I have the PTR and a DSA SA58. The FAL is much more ergonomic and balanced than the front heavy PTR, but the PTR is less picky on ammo including Wolf and other steel cased ammo. The FAL is probably the better choice, but neither would dissappoint you.