OK your opinion how dumb are some of the HCP instructors?

Guest Rando

You can always learn something...even if it's what NOT to do. I've taken a couple of classes from my counselor and from CIS, and I always come away with something new that I can work into our basic pistol classes.

I appreciate the kind words Todd...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdog

I don't disagree with you at all. But I do spend my money wisely. I have extensive military experience including a lot of combat. I like to talk to folks and get a feel of what they can offer. Todd does sound like a good source may have to get with him. I was not trying to put down training, but ****ty training can get you a pretty box with an air tight lid.

"Action wheel" ? :)

School me please.

Phantom, Shadow, and I were looking over a Firearms Policy for a company that had been written by.....well someone not very knowledgeable, to be kind. In part of the policy he had included a section that involved the "action wheel" i.e. the revolver cylinder. At no point did they call it a cylinder, just the action wheel. :screwy: This was what the armed officers were supposed to use to identify their firearms parts with. It was retarded, just like the guy who wants people to point their guns at him and pull the trigger. Its an inside joke between all of us down there now.;)

Guest Mugster
You may be right.

From what I've seen, I'd say that we have a pretty good collection here, though.

I agree, I should have said something. I don't agree with all your ideas, but it seems like you guys are reasonable and use decent training techniques (from what I read on the reviews of your training) and trying to give something back. I don't get that impression across the board.

And that generally applies to the other vendors on here.

Guest Schwarzgebrannt

My personal moment of red anger was when a chunky trainer (one of a few people in the room as instructors- this wasn't a HCP course but the same guys do HCP) who will go nameless was trying to hammer home the "all guns are loaded all of the time" concept, apparently of the "teleporting phantom bullets" flavor. If anyone in the class turned their head while their gun was out during this section, well, in my case although I was far from the only victim, the blubberous ass was fingerbanging my Hk to put snapcaps in it so that I'd get a "surprise" next time I cleared it.

Without.

Permission.

I nearly tested how well a USP holds up knocking out teeth.

From my first HCP course (not the one I got it with) I'd have to go with Leo Torrez as a true blue estúpido gordito, based on pretty much everything that came out of his mouth.

Edited by Schwarzgebrannt
Guest Matchguy
Most of the "professional firearms" instructors are idiots, hcp or otherwise. News like this reinforces my general opinion. There's some good guys out there, no question, trying to do an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. They are few and far between from what I've seen.

Having been a firearms instructor most of my adult life, much of it in law enforcement, I agree with Mugster's comment.......you can usually find these "professional" guys in courses that are easy to teach and come with ready-made lesson plans and course outlines, and for which there is little supervision or peer pressure, and which involve mostly novices they can intimidate easily. The tipoff comes when he refers to himself as a "professional firearms instructor." Like a combat Marine, firearms instructors worth their salt don't blow their own horns. When I hear of guys like this I'd like to get a copy of the application they submitted to the THP to get their certs as a "State Certified Handgun Instructor" and see how many false statements they gave them in order to get the cert.A few would probably go to jail for perjury.

There are only two kinds of ranges as far as a good instructor is concerned.....hottiredanddirty and coldtiredanddirty, and it takes a dedicated guy to tolerate all the tension, risk, liability, and absolute exhaustion it takes to put on a good class, and to continue putting them on despite all this. I haven't heard of anyone around the Tri-Cities who is less than very good, and the few I have contact with are excellent or better, but I've heard some real horror stories from other parts of the state and don't doubt the story about the instructor who had his students point their guns at their heads. Almost makes me wish the Legislature would expand the state's reckless endangerment laws to include such idiots. Best wishes.

MG

Guest frankcostanza

I really enjoyed my instructors. They had a great sense of humor, and the class was very laid back making for an enjoyable 8 or so hours. I was a little disappointed at the amount of new information I received though - there was really nothing presented that hasn't been discussed at length on any number of gun forums. I also was kind of surprised at the fact that they had CCW badges for sale... I was under the impression that most folks (especially LEO's) think the badges are not such a good idea. All in all though, my class was definately worth the money I paid.

The people you can learn a lot from aren’t always “Instructorsâ€.

Get to know some people at your range. If you need some help; ask around. Join in on some competitive shooting; there are usually guys around willing to help.

Everyone needs to be properly trained. And I’m sure there might be some good instructors around, but the pricing I have seen is just ridiculous.

The class I took was run by two Police officers that were the firearms instructors for there department ( one has since died from a long battle with cancer RIP ) I have a friend that took a class from a dude ( dont know his qualifications ) and one of his requirements was each student had to hold there firearm to his head( the instructor) and pull the trigger to get an idea of what it was like to shoot someone as he put it. Dude wouldnt do it said it went against everything he had ever been taught, of course the guy told him he would fail if he didnt so he told him he was dropping from the class and made him refund his money. What would you have done? I say my young friend was correct and he has since taken the class again and now has his permit. What do these people have to do to be qualified to do these courses? I remember back when I first got mine, I was sitting in the DMV and listening to others talk about there classes and what they were told I didnt like it and was afraid of what my family might be in the middle of out there but thankfully I have yet to hear of any bad things happening with a HCP holder.

What is your 10 cents on the subject?:hat:

I hope he comes around here and teaches a class on how to use a baton :shrug:

Guest Phantom6

Someone ought to drop a dime on these fools that do retarded stuff like this. That stuff ain't in the lesson plan and one of these days some stupid half witted new carry permit holder is going to do that demonstration to show off what he learned in that ass-hat's course and pull the trigger with a live round in the chamber. That s**t needs to be STOPPED NOW! Have your friend contact Lisa Knight, Manager of the DOS Handgun Carry Permit Unit at 615.253.5221 or 866.849.3548 (toll-free)

The class I took was run by two Police officers that were the firearms instructors for there department ( one has since died from a long battle with cancer RIP ) I have a friend that took a class from a dude ( dont know his qualifications ) and one of his requirements was each student had to hold there firearm to his head( the instructor) and pull the trigger to get an idea of what it was like to shoot someone as he put it. Dude wouldnt do it said it went against everything he had ever been taught, of course the guy told him he would fail if he didnt so he told him he was dropping from the class and made him refund his money. What would you have done? I say my young friend was correct and he has since taken the class again and now has his permit. What do these people have to do to be qualified to do these courses? I remember back when I first got mine, I was sitting in the DMV and listening to others talk about there classes and what they were told I didnt like it and was afraid of what my family might be in the middle of out there but thankfully I have yet to hear of any bad things happening with a HCP holder.

What is your 10 cents on the subject?;)

8819525576.jpg