How many rounds?

This has probably been hashed out before, but lets do it again.

How many rounds do you carry when you leave the house?

Why do you carry that many?

If I have the SP101 I carry 5 in the gun, and a speed loader with five more in my pocket. Full box of twenty in the truck console.

Now that I have an XD45 I will carry 14 in the gun plus a mag of 13 in my pocket depending on where I am at. In the warehouse at work I think the loaded gun is plenty. In Walmart or the bank etc it will be 14 in the gun plus a spare mag of 13 in the pocket.

And of course the .25 with 7 rounds as a bug.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I carry 13+1 in the gun plus another 13 rnd mag in the pocket. Its not so much for the extra rounds but just to have an extra magazine in case the one in the gun malfunctions.

XD 9 SC w/ 11, spare mag w/16.

When I first decided to get HCP, I really thought I'd just carry my SP101 with a spare speed strip or so...

But more and more, the likely threats I see are likely to be multiple baddies.

National news tonight with section on police departments across the nation facing cutbacks, fewer cops on the streets, etc. Folks getting more desperate with the bad economy. Maybe not the best time to depend on a wheelie or lowcap mousegun.

- OS

Guest Bronker

XD40 with 10 on board, the extended mag of 13 in the pocket, and a 9-rd mag in each of our 3 vehicles. If I go through 23+ rounds, we are likely at the conclusion of the event one way or another, good or bad.

OS mentions

multiple baddies.

See that is a great point I was not even thinking about when I posted originally.

There was a story at Knoxnews.com today about a guy in the Noog (I think, to lazy to go look again) who staked out his business and as luck would have it the place got robbed. He held one bad guy at gunpoint waiting for cops and he was found shot when the cops got there. the story lead me to believe another BG was there too.

Used to be I carried 15 in the G19, didn't bother to put an extra one in the mag after chambering a round. Now, w/ the USPc I carry 13+1. I keep a spare mag in my car, or my saddle bag if I'm on my bike, and sometimes in my coat if it's cold, but I'm not in the habit of carrying an extra mag in on my person... maybe I should get on that.

Guest Traumaslave

My .45 USPc holds 8+1 in the chamber and that is more than enough. "2 in the chest and 1 in the head":death: = 3, that is all that is ever going to be needed. There isn't going to be a fire fight so why would you need an extra mag?:up:

There isn't going to be a fire fight so why would you need an extra mag?:up:

Scenarios are plentiful. I agree, what are the chances of needing so many rounds. but what are the odds of needing to deploy a firearm to being with.

I dunno who it was but someone said "I never heard anyone say I wish I had less ammo"

Guest bkelm18
My .45 USPc holds 8+1 in the chamber and that is more than enough. "2 in the chest and 1 in the head":death: = 3, that is all that is ever going to be needed. There isn't going to be a fire fight so why would you need an extra mag?:D

Ok, so 8+1, so assuming you do your 2 to the chest and one to the head perfectly everytime even under extreme stress, what if there are 4 attackers? Or what if your mag fails? Or what if you can't land your shots? Or what if the BG(s) keep on truckin after taking a couple of your .45ACPs? Good thing you don't have an extra mag... :up: Thats your choice but making your assumptions can get you in trouble at the worst possible time.

My .45 USPc holds 8+1 in the chamber and that is more than enough. "2 in the chest and 1 in the head":death: = 3, that is all that is ever going to be needed. There isn't going to be a fire fight so why would you need an extra mag?:up:

4 young brudders who all could have fit in one pair of pants followed me for several blocks toward end of a long walk right at dark not long ago, even switching sides of the road when I did.

Worst happens, shoot one three times as you say and the others run?

Maybe. Maybe the other three are grabbing heat too.

Those thoughts entered my mind as I made it inside smallest gas mart in town and waited for them to (slowly and with lots of looks) to pass on by.

Same situation can play out at most any parking lot, anywhere, anytime, too.

- OS

AFAIC it's a balancing act between perceived need and practicality. So most of the time, in the area I live in (no violent crime to speak of), I simply carry my normal gun with 9 rounds in it (I keep two more loaded mags in my truck). Should I feel like I might need more (depending on the are I'm in), I'll grab a mag or two and carry with me, though that's very, very rare.

Sure, I know I'm not clairvoyant, but I think I have to be practical in my daily life. No point in gearing up like I'm storming Fallujah to run to the grocery store. I hope my decision doesn't come back to bite me, but I'm currently comfortable with my decisions.

4 young brudders who all could have fit in one pair of pants followed me for several blocks toward end of a long walk right at dark not long ago, even switching sides of the road when I did.

Good god Mac, next time you need a walk come up this way, a .22 is good enough to keep the coyotes away . I now picture the park you have mentioned walking in.

I think the NBR might be what you need for that walk.

Good god Mac, next time you need a walk come up this way, a .22 is good enough to keep the coyotes away . I now picture the park you have mentioned walking in.

I think the NBR might be what you need for that walk.

Well, I have no "proof" there was evil afoot.

This is actually a pretty good part of town for availability of safely walking without getting run over.

Unfortunately, about half the inhabitants make it not necessarily the safest part in other ways.

I think the NBR might draw too much attention...depending on XD and 15 knives.

- OS

Guest Revelator

Since I bought a Beretta 92 it's been 31 rounds of 9x19 sweet deliciousness. Two 15's with room for a friend in the chamber. Before that my carry was a 10-round .40 caliber, and I've got to tell you I'm loving the high-capacity life. I'm not sure what to think about the number of rounds to carry. On the one hand, the average gunfight is something like 3.4 shots per participant. On the other, handguns are nothing more than really powerful slingshots and a human body can take lots of hits from one and still keep going. I guess I'd rather have more than less, and it's no extra trouble to do so.

On a sort of related note, I recently stopped carrying a magazine pouch. I used to wear one on the opposite side and practice speed reloads, then I just quit doing it one day. Just decided that I didn't need it, and that pocket carry would be fine for the spare. Plus my wife tells me I look a lot less like a dork without one.

Guest abailey362

whenever I carry my kahr, I had 6+1 in the gun and an extra 7 in a spare mag either on my belt or in the mag pocket on my 5.11 pants.

I need to get an small mag holder to carry when i have my sig on

Guest johnmattwill
Plus my wife tells me I look a lot less like a dork without one.

My wife usually tells me I look like a dork regardless....but she loves me anyway!!!!!! :up:

Guest johnmattwill

My carry .45acp is a single stack 8 rounder.... +1 for 9 rounds total... I have an extra 8 round mag and have been contemplating whether to buy a mag pouch for it to carry......

Im leaning towards buying one.... so ultimately 16+1 for me of Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP....

Guest mikedwood

I usually carry the Taurus 905 loaded and then 2 moonclips full 0' fun in my pocket. Lately I have also been dragging around the G26 with a full mag, but no extras.

If it's a nice cold day I wear the G19 with 2 extra mags and the 905 with the 2 extra moonclips. If I'm out gunned with 3x14 and 3x5 I think I was somewhere I had no business being.

Guest JeepMonkey
This is huge.
That's what she said. :up:

Anyways, SP101 stays with 5 in the cylinder and a speedloader in my pocket. I also have 12 in a pouch that is not much wider than my belt and is unnoticeable under my shirt.

Guest bigsack

im very very new to carry but i keep with me 8+1 in my sig P6 plus an extra mag w/ 8 more.

with the P6 being a single stack the mags are pretty small. and i actually found an old nylon generic multi-tool sheath that holds my spare just perfectly i don't think it "looks" like a mag pouch but it serves the purpose just fine.