H&K P2000

56FordGuy

Anybody have one, shot one, etc? I'm looking for a new carry gun, and I looked at the H&K in .40 the other day. It really seemed to fit my hand well, but you can only learn so much without shooting one. Do y'all have any opinions on them, or know of any ranges in the Middle TN area where I might be able to rent one?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

had one in .40 and sold it after a month and a half mainly 'cause i figured out i'm not a fan of the .40 (and almost got back what i paid... h&k's hold their value, that's for sure).

really great gun, but i never felt like it was worth what they cost or that all the hype out there about h&k's was 100% justified.... you can get 2 guns about as good for what they go for, but if you're looking at h&k's you're probably not worrying about the price tag.

on occasion, while not very many, i had some malfunctions (stovepipes) when dirty after a lot of rounds, based on h&k's reputation and the price, i expected none... overall and comparatively though i'd say more reliable than most out there, almost as reliable as a glock, ...almost.

that said, very un-glock feel-wise... feels awesome in the hand and it does almost everything well (ergos, carry, accuracy), the negatives are that it's on the thick side and kind of top-heavy with a higher bore axis than many, and h&k calls it a compact, living with it, it's really closer to an average 4" full size.

all in all, great pistol that i'd most likely still have if i'd gotten it in 9mm...

i really like h&k's, and the snob in me is pinning for an P30L.

from time to time i've seen used USPc's going for around $500 (i had one of those too that i should have kept, except for the wierdo rail and no de-cock button, almost the same gun as the p2k, even uses the same mags). i'd get another one if i saw one in 9mm at a more realistic price than what they're usually going for...

Edited by CK1
Guest 153blue

almost reliable as a glock? you can keep wishing the glock was up to par with the H&K. the p2000 like most H&K pistols, have the option to change between different variants. u can choose to carry it SAO or DAO, safety or no safety. i like to carry my USP in double action incase of a light strike if shtf. there is even a variant for no saftey/only decock. can the glock do that? no i am not a glock basher as i own glocks also, but to compare the two is unrealistic. the design of the h&k pistols is years ahead of the glock.

Edited by 153blue

To date I have had virtually no reliability issues with my USPc.

I'm fast approaching the 2k mark. Granted it's .357 sig so the bottleneck

design is a definite plus when it come to reliability.

To compare the two seems a tad unfair, they each perform well and have their good points and bad points. It's really up to the end user on which they would rather have.

Only they will be able to determine if it will meet their personal needs. Just my two cents...

(I have nothing against glocks, and hope to own a couple one day.)

I love my P30. The trigger is kind of weird for a minute or two until you get used to the travel. Not only are they tack drivers at the range but they're pure sex. :D

The P2000 is the same weird... plus they retain their resale value well.

I am not a fan of the 40. At all. In fact.. i hate it.

It has a ton of muzzle flip.

My only gripe with my P30 is it doesnt like lightly loaded rounds (hydrashocks). The guide rod spring is somewhat heavy and would stove pipe the spent casing. Anything else and i'm golden. I'm sure it will loosen out with time .

On a side note...

I think Tungsten used to own a P2000sk in 40.

Edited by sling

I used to own one. Its a great pistol. Make sure you try out the LEM if you haven't already. That being said I dropped the P2K in favor of a G19, which has now turned into a S&W M&P. There a couple of others here that have done the same. If you like the P2K, you'll have a great gun.

I used to own one. Its a great pistol. Make sure you try out the LEM if you haven't already. That being said I dropped the P2K in favor of a G19, which has now turned into a S&W M&P. There a couple of others here that have done the same. If you like the P2K, you'll have a great gun.

funny coincidence... my p2k turned into a g19, then an m&p9, and than a steyr m9a1... my sr9 just turned into ammo.

Guest malbolja
almost reliable as a glock? you can keep wishing the glock was up to par with the H&K. the p2000 like most H&K pistols, have the option to change between different variants. u can choose to carry it SAO or DAO, safety or no safety. i like to carry my USP in double action incase of a light strike if shtf. there is even a variant for no saftey/only decock. can the glock do that? no i am not a glock basher as i own glocks also, but to compare the two is unrealistic. the design of the h&k pistols is years ahead of the glock.

Would you like some chips with your kool-aid?

I keed, I keed! :D

Guest 153blue

seeing as the op stated that he was looking for a carry weapon, i wouldn't recommend a glock as it is single action. if you had a light primer strike, you'd be done for. simple as that. sure you could just rerack the slide, but by the time you rerack your slide, the bg would have already put 2-3 rounds in you. not to mention the stunned look you'd have on your face when u draw and no bang. :D if you do go with a p2000 you will probably be happy, if you aren't then you can probably get your money back out of it. HK's do keep their value pretty well.

I appreciate all the input. My current carry gun is a Glock 36. I haven't had any real issues with it, but I'm looking for something different. I'm not sold on the .40 caliber, either. In fact, my only handgun experience has been with .45, so I really want to shoot whatever type of gun I wind up with before I buy it.

I've not yet looked at any HK other than the P2000, because that was all the shop had in stock. I'm going to try and get up to Guns N Leather sometime next week and see what they have. What impressed me with the P2000 was the fit in my hand. It was great. Likewise, I really liked the length and overall size of the gun, though I don't recall how it compared in width to my Glock. I'm a lefty, so I could get used to the ambi slide and magazine release pretty easy, too.

I appreciate all the input. My current carry gun is a Glock 36. I haven't had any real issues with it, but I'm looking for something different. I'm not sold on the .40 caliber, either. In fact, my only handgun experience has been with .45, so I really want to shoot whatever type of gun I wind up with before I buy it.

I've not yet looked at any HK other than the P2000, because that was all the shop had in stock. I'm going to try and get up to Guns N Leather sometime next week and see what they have. What impressed me with the P2000 was the fit in my hand. It was great. Likewise, I really liked the length and overall size of the gun, though I don't recall how it compared in width to my Glock. I'm a lefty, so I could get used to the ambi slide and magazine release pretty easy, too.

if you're heading up to guns n leather and want to shoot before you buy, i'd recommend shooting the m&p45 that they have for rental (think they might have a 9 and a .40 too) as well as the h&k (IF they have a used one, they might let ya shoot it...), if good fit in the hand is what you're after, and you dig the h&k's feel, an m&p won't disappoint... plus it's got an ambi slide release and their mag release can be flipped over for you lefty's...