Ready to order my reloading stuff

I've been thinking about reloading for a while, looking at various kits, reading, etc. I'm almost done with my reloading room, and am ready to order my first equipment. I wanted to run it by y'all first to see what I might want to change. I plan on loading mostly .45 and .30 carbine, but eventually moving on to .308 and .223.

I'm looking at the Lee Turret Press Deluxe starter kit. Is there any reason to purchase the four hole over the three? I understand the scale is rather disappointing, what would y'all recommend to replace it? I'm looking at the Hornady 7th edition manual, what are some good companion manuals to go with it? I already have the ABCs of Reloading.

What else, aside from dies and a tumbler, am I missing? I believe I can prime the brass on the turret press, but does a hand primer really make that much of a difference?

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would probably go with the 4 hole over the 3 hole. That fourth stage gives you options that you may or may not ever use. For instance, some die sets have four dies, others three. Dillon believes in seating and crimping bullets on seperate stages, thus their dies usually require four. You may also decide to add a Lee Factory Crimp die down the road. With four holes, this is not a problem. You may someday want an EGW U-die, which sizes cases basically down to the rim. I have a friend with a Dillon 650, and he plans to start using the U-die AND the Lee FCD. Dillon makes a case trimmer that uses a die hole and adds a stage in the reloading cycle. My Dillon RL550 has four holes, and I wish it had five, like their 650.

There are all kinds of scenarios where a fourth hole would be handy. If it doesn't cost much more, I'd definitely go for it.

Other things to consider are a case trimmer, a caliper for measuring OAL, an inertia-type bullet puller (looks like a clear plastic hammer), and a cartridge gage for each caliber you plan to load. You will probably also want to spend the extra $10 and get carbide dies for your pistol calibers (no need to lube cases w/ carbide dies).

Edited by deerslayer

I got the 4 holer before all this fun began while they were still available and would not go back on anything.

Here is the scoop.

I ordered my 223 dies direct from Lee. Paid a few bucks more but I got them a lot faster.

For auto loading rifles use a full length sizing die. Bolt action and most lever action can use a neck sizing die. The full length die for autos make feeding more reliable because the case expands after being shot.

Get the Lee factory crimp die. That will fill the 4th hole and it is the best way to crimp a bullet head to the case. It is not dependent fully on the length of the case like a roll crimp die is.

Get the Lee case trimmer, length gage for the case caliber you are reloading, shell holder and lock stud that can be chucked in a drill. This set up will keep the case lengths to factory specs. being that they stretch a bit when fired. This item is not the shell holder that goes into the reloader but a stand alone shell holder and lock stud.

The lock stud is the part the chucks into the drill and the case holder that comes with the length gage screws into the lock stud. The length gage screws into the case trimmer. The tip of the length gage goes through the de-primed case and touches the base of the lock stud and prevents the trimmer from cutting the case too short. The drill spins the case and allows the cutter to do its work.

This link will get you into the case length gage area.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#lee%20shell%20holder__9315__-_1-2-4_8-16-32

This link will show you what the lock stud looks like.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#lock%20stud__9315__-_

You don't have to get this stuff at Midway, the links were added to show you what this stuff looks like.

The Lee reloader's instructions are pretty good but allow some time to set things up.

Thanks for the advice. I've ordered two manuals, along with the Lee 4 hole turret press kit. I believe the kit will come with a case trimmer, though I'll probably upgrade at some point. What would y'all recommend for a scale, to replace the one in the Lee kit? What about a good, reliable caliper?

I'm still in the process of setting up my loading area, so it will probably be a few weeks before I'm ready to turn out any loads. That oughta give me time to read through the loading manuals before I even set up the press. I'm planning to start out loading .30 Carbine, are there any particular things I need to know about loading that caliber?

Thanks!

The loader comes with a case trimmer but NOT with a case length gage or shell holder set up. That is where the links I posted come in. You could do it without the length gage but you would have to make careful measurements with a dial gage.

Primers have lead compound that are toxic so keep the loading area clean and if you tumble your cases, the media gets contaminated and if you kick up dust when separating the media from the cases, it could get into your system. Be careful of that.

Start off with the least amount of recomended powder charge and work your way up if you need more umph.

Guest abailey362

I just got one of these kits and will be setting it up over the next few weeks. gotta go and get my work bench this weekend so I have a place for it all.