Hi

Guest yankeegonesouthern

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dan, why don't you tell us about yourself.

What do you like to shoot? Where you from up north? What brings you here?

All that would be good for starters.

What I really want to know is did you take the last train?

Welcome aboard dude!

Guest Terry J

Well I was born in CA lived in NE for 12 years moved to DC/MA for 3 then wound up her in BFE TN for the last 18. Talk about confused.

I would have never guessed that you were born north of the Mason-Dickson line Eddie, well maybe if it wasn't for that accent. I was raised by rednecks in Indiana myself.

Oh, and welcome.

It helped that I only lived in NY until I was 2 y/o...

I grew up in Arizona and TN...

I am not 'of' the south, but I love it just the same.

Welcome to the loonie-bin (but you've figured out where you are by now) :)

I was born in the only county in northeast Tennessee that voted for secession (Sullivan) to Georgia parents. ALL of my ancestors fought for the Confederacy and I'm proud of that. But I did finally find one distant cousin in Nashville who served as a Union surgeon on Thomas' staff at Chicamauga. He returned home victorious and went bankrupt because the local people would have nothing to do with him since he supported the yankee (small "y") cause.

But these days I have a lot of Yankee friends. I even will talk to people from DC. Jack Kennedy once described Washington as a town of northern charm and southern efficiency. I've found that to be true. :up:

Guest Terry J

Ive found DC to be nothing but a head ache. But now that I live here its become home and wouldnt think of moving unless it was to a bigger house in my same area. Nebraska is not a whole lot different just friendlier people and lots less crime.

I did not realize there were so many damn yankees on this board.

Glad I am not alone. Ohio originally, well after the womb that is.

Oh you all know what a damn yankee is, right?

I might have been from Ohio but half of my people were country folk farmers from KY. anyway I am a redneck at heart :up:

Guest Phantom6

Welcome Dan. To the board and to the South, particularly Tennessee.

My family also fought for the Southern Cause in the War of Northern Agression.

At this point however I'd like to take advantage of the opportunity to congratulate all of you who are of Northern heritage. The fact that though you were not graced with the fact of Southern birth, you did make your way to the South as soon as you could. You are now blessed. :up:

Oh, BTW for Terry J, If Nebraska had anyone but cows that lived there (I jest because the population estimate last year was 1,768,331 but cows outnumbered the humans nearly to 6 to 1) there would be much more crime there. It just so happens that the population estimate for Tennessee last year was 6,038,803 wich is just a hair under the Nebraska cattle population.

These figures of course do not include the "Undocumented" ........people or cattle.:)

Guest Terry J
Oh, BTW for Terry J, If Nebraska had anyone but cows that lived there (I jest because the population estimate last year was 1,768,331 but cows outnumbered the humans nearly to 6 to 1) there would be much more crime there. It just so happens that the population estimate for Tennessee last year was 6,038,803 wich is just a hair under the Nebraska cattle population.

These figures of course do not include the "Undocumented" ........people or cattle.:D

Yeah well you got me there. Dont forget about the prarie dog population its just about the same as the humans but at least you can shoot them. :D Oh and another upside is you dont have to freeze your but off in a tree just to shoot a deer!!

Guest yankeegonesouthern

Lol, just great, I see the site has all kinds of characters. Trust me, there are rednecks in the north too. I would say I am red-neckish. I don’t mind being around yall southerns, yall make me feel smarter. Hehehe… I fit in down here just fine. Lol…

I was born and raised in eastern Maine. Joined the army straight out of HS. Retired from the army at a nice old age of 39yrs. I retired here in TN and ,well… I really love it here. I work at a distribution center now. I’m just a simple guy that loves anything to do with the outdoors and woods. My passion is hunting deer and turkey. I fish quite a bit too. I have a few rifles, 3 shotguns, a muzzleloader, two compounds and a x-bow. Nothing special, mostly a hunting arsenal. I want a handgun or two. I am not looking for anything fancy. Just something to shoot, maybe use to hunt with and home protection. I like to get as much info on things before I buy something because I get pissed if I get a bad deal. I am sure most of yall are the same way.

Anyways,,, I found this site while doing a handgun search and found it interesting. So here I am. Thanks for the warm welcome. I will visit daily but I may not post a lot but I will try to stay involved.

Dan

The Chamber of Commerce there put out a note saying that if you didn't like the weather right now wait 15 minutes and it would change. That's about the truth.

I have lived in three other locations before personally choosing east TN to put down final roots. The others were Chicago area, Cincinnati, and Boca Raton Fla. Every place I have lived I have heard that " wait 15 minutes" expression, and every place thought they had the market cornered on it, LOL.

I am pretty sure I had relatives fighting in the War for Southern Independence just not sure which side they were on. I have done checking and my maternal grandmother's name of McGuire was fairly common on both sides of the fence with people who joined up from where they lived in northern KY. I have always held out hope that they fought on the right side!

Are there really more cows in Nebraska than people in TN?

Terry J if you do not freeze your butt off in a tree to shoot deer where do you freeze it off at?

Dan you need handguns fer sure.

Guest Terry J
Are there really more cows in Nebraska than people in TN?

Terry J if you do not freeze your butt off in a tree to shoot deer where do you freeze it off at?

Dan you need handguns fer sure.

I choose not to freeze it off at all. In NE for one there are very few trees and what we usually do is drive around till we see one and then get out and shoot it and drive over and pick it up and go home. Now the law does allows you to shoot from your vehicle but it has to be shut off. Way easier than freezing your but off. With the canyons and hills and snow now that does not always garantee it will be and easy trip to and from and if you get stuck or worse roll you vehicle off into a ditch (happened twice to my dads jeep) then you still end up freezing your but off. Oh and I havent ever actually looked into the cow population but I woulnt be at all suprised if it were true.

Guest yankeegonesouthern
I choose not to freeze it off at all. In NE for one there are very few trees and what we usually do is drive around till we see one and then get out and shoot it and drive over and pick it up and go home.

Back in Maine, they call that "heater hunting". It also involved about a 6-pack per man. :D

"heater hunting". It also involved about a 6-pack per man.

Now I could do that kind of hunting :up:

It never entered my mind that there were not trees somewhere, and I never knew it was even legal to hunt from a car. Everywhere I have ever lived having loaded long guns in your vehicle can buy you lots of trouble.

Dan you picked out a handgun yet??:D