Sig Mosquito vs. P220 .22lr?

BrandonTN

Alright, I have decided that I want a .22lr handgun to plink around with at the range. I have narrowed it down to the Mosquito or the P220 in .22lr. Any opinions on these 2? I have heard the Mosquito can be picky on ammo, but maybe some of these issues have been fixed with later generations...? Cost is another factor and the P220 will run a bit more (prob. $50-$100).

:lol:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a mosquito, and it is not picky on the ammo at all. I've had 4 FTF (and that was in the first 40 rounds).

My only complaint is that the one mag that came with the gun has an issue when shooting the recommended CCI Mini-Mags. When the 9th round fires and the case is ejected the 10th round ejects as well and the slide closes like it chambered the 10th round. I bought 2 magazines, and neither of them do this.

Mine has the threaded barrel for a future suppressor :lol:

Humm, this thread seems familiar,,,,,

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15491&highlight=Mosquito+Walther+Sig+P22

Just to add to the link, I own a P22 and my buddy owns the Sig. They both shoot great however here as of late, the Mosquito keeps "coughing" (FTF's) when using the Remington 550 value pack from Wal-Mart (read=cheap stuff) where as the Walther eats them like candy. Both Guns are kept exceptionally clean and are well past their break in. We can't figure it out. It seams to be getting worse as there as always been a hiccup or two with this cheap stuff but now it seams to be getting more consistent. CCI's perform flawlessly 100% of the time. Either way, you won't go wrong.

I have a mosquito, and it is not picky on the ammo at all. I've had 4 FTF (and that was in the first 40 rounds).

My only complaint is that the one mag that came with the gun has an issue when shooting the recommended CCI Mini-Mags. When the 9th round fires and the case is ejected the 10th round ejects as well and the slide closes like it chambered the 10th round. I bought 2 magazines, and neither of them do this.

Mine has the threaded barrel for a future suppressor :lol:

Did your Mosquito come with Two Guide Rod Springs?

I have a P22 and I have not got through the breaking in stage.

At the range Wednesday before last, I had two CCI mini mags "hang up in the chamber. The slide stopped halfway and the bullet was jammed into the chamber. I stopped and went got one of the guys behind the desk to help me. (I have gotten in trouble in the past for holding two guns side by side, slides locked back, pointed down range, comparing the two, by a young range worker :lol: so I didn't take a chance of getting into more trouble by shoving a rod down the barrel).

The guy came out and shoved a rod down the barrel, and it looked like the round went in "cocked" and caused the bullet to deform.

I unloaded the mag of mini mags, ran three mags full of that "Remington $19.99 for 500 rounds" crap ammo and no problems. Loaded the mag back up with mini mags and the third round did the same thing.

I unloaded the mag again of the mini mags, reloaded with the crap ammo, an shot 60 flawless round.

So I think my P22 doesn't like CCI Minin Mags.

It also has the "taller" front sight installed on it. I am going to replace it with the "shorter" front sight that came with the gun. They are cheap little plastic sights, and I think the one on the gun might be bent, because I am constantly shooting to the left.

Thanks for all the opinions on the P22, but I was actually asking about the Sig P220 that now comes in .22lr. It also comes with a coupon to get the slide of your choice (.45, 9mm, etc) for like $400 more.

OHHHHHHH, you did mean P220 in .22 LR. :P In that case, I'd go with the P220 hands down purely because of the fact that you would be able to purchase an additional Barrel and slide. Plus, it is a full size gun whereas the Mosquito is like 90% of a P220. Just my :lol:. Sorry I went off on a tangent in the wrong direction. :P

No worries...just had to set the record straight. :lol:

The one thing I do like about the Mosquito I am looking at is the already threaded barrel for a future suppressor add-on. The P220 slide add-on is nice, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra $ since I have a 1911 I am in love with.

The P220 is a GREAT gun.

I dont have any of the P-22LRs but I do have all 4 of 22LR conversion kits.

Each of the kits work just fine and I would much rather have any of them over the Mosquito.

Id have to join in and say get the P229 22LR for facts already stated.

have you considered a conversion for your 1911?

Its an officers size...I know Ceiner used to make a conversion for them, but I can't find one anywhere.

On another note, I got to fondle a desert camo Mosquito w/ threaded barrel today and liked it a lot. I'm not a huge fan of the DA/SA (probably b/c I haven't shot that action much and it always feels kind of odd). I may look into the other .22LRs that Sig offers.

My other thought is to pick up a cheap full-size 1911 (RIA) and add on a conversion. :P

Adam, I left you a message about the BDM mags...they've got your name on them.

Edited by BrandonTN
Id have to join in and say get the P229 22LR for facts already stated.

After some more research, I am kind of leaning towards that now. I like the fact that with the 229 I could have a decent carry size in 9mm and also a .22lr to train with. I would like to find one around town to play around with first to see about overall ergonomics. I have somewhat small hands and have heard the grip on the 229 is rather large. I suppose that over time I would get used to a DA/SA trigger.

Guest abailey362

yeah, i got yer msg about the mags, thanks.

i have a 229 in .40 that you are welcome to anytime. The factory grips didn't feel that great to me, but I put on a set of hogue wrap arounds and it feels great now.

Guest HexHead
The P220 slide add-on is nice, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra $ since I have a 1911 I am in love with.

In that case I'd just get a 1911 conversion kit.

In that case I'd just get a 1911 conversion kit.

As mentioned earlier, my 1911 is an officer's size...I can't find a conversion kit that is still available. If I had a full size I would do that in a heartbeat.

Anyways, after playing around with some various Sigs today I have decided on the p229 Classic 22 and then using the coupon to get either a 9mm or .40 upper. The fact that I can cheaply train with and carry the same gun (aside from changing the slides) is very appealing.