JURY DUTY Again! Need Advice please!

Guest slim

In Hamilton County it is impossible to get out of J.Duty...

Yeah, looks rather tough. But not impossible.

"You may be excused from duty if you:

- have a mental or physical condition that causes that person to be incapable of performing jury

- show documentation that such service will constitute an undue or extreme physical or financial hardship"

(I was able to show "extreme financial hardship", since I wouldn't be paid at all as contractor.)

Incidentally, jurors are selected from "Licensed drivers in Hamilton County"

Compensation is $13/day

Parking is free after first day (ticket is validated).

You can postpone your date to serve (once).

If your employer has less than 5 employees, or if you've been employed there less than 6 months, he doesn't have to pay you for time not at work (this would be grounds for "extreme financial hardship".)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, i can ask to have my J.Duty postponed, but i would rather get it out of the way asap. There is no mention of free parking anywhere, it was always hard to find a park space anywhere, the paper does say, one may Park at the Choo Cho and ride the bus to the Bank next to the Courthouse, i guess i will just have to go like always and do my civic duty,

like i always have done in the past!:koolaid:

.. There is no mention of free parking anywhere, it was always hard to find a park space anywhere, the paper does say, one may Park at the Choo Cho and ride the bus to the Bank next to the Courthouse,..

I assume there is a city garage, or any of several parking lots around there that will accept the validation which they claim to give you?

http://www.hamiltontn.gov/courts/Juries/Grand/default.aspx

- OS

Thanks for that link, Ohshoot, there is info on free park after the first day, which my letter did not mention and i guess it is something new, since everybody used to always have to pay,since one could not in past find a free spot! Thank again, James :koolaid:

I got called to serve jury duty right after I turned 18. In fact one week before I was going to ship for basic. I was told that under no circumstances was I to miss my appointment, even though I tried explaining that I was to go to AD. I pushed my ship date back and showed up.

*please no one take offense to what is about to be said, I'm not actually racist*

I had heard about the case, and when asked if knew the person being brought to trial. I replied "This ain't one of them colored fellows is it? Cuz I'm sure he did it."

Told to leave, and I got to go to basic.

Haven't tried to not sit, in fact I WANTED on the trial quote]

Be careful what you wish for.

I was an alternate juror for a murder trial of an 8 month old baby.

I'm glad I don't have kids.

Getting called multiple times, or never, is just a matter of luck of the draw. Serving on a jury is part of being a citizen. You may never be called, you may be called 10 times. When you're called, you go serve.

And yes, I've served on Grand Jury duty. It wasn't that big a deal.