Handgun mags(reading material)

Guest yankeegonesouthern

Guest yankeegonesouthern

I bought one today(Guns&ammo Handguns). Just something to get ideas from. What are some of yalls favorite mags to read?

Thanks, dan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get Guns & Ammo, American Rifleman, and Shooting Times.

I usually don't have time to sit down and read through them. I just read a few articles here and there while I'm on the can.

If you're thinking of subscribing to any magazine, check ebay first. Search for the name of the magazine and then the word subscription. You can usually get a HUGE discount. I got 2 years of Guns & Ammo for $8.

Good tip, thanks.

As a dealer I really need to read a lot more of them to see what customers are seeing.

Typically I look at Shotgun News, America's First Freedom, and IDPA monthly.

After a while I think I will get tired of reading about "the greatest achievement in firearms this century".

And yeah, I also tend to look at them in the can.

I really can't recommend any of them. They tend to not bite the hand that feeds them, which means that if a company advertises with them, they don't say nasty stuff about the gun. See this from a bio of Dean Spier, who was fired for his views of Glocks. As I understand it, Gaston made it clear that if Spier wrote for a magazine, their advertising dollars would be pulled.

Dean Speir, who once wrote in the gunzines as "Waldo Lydecker," and has also been assigned such bylines as "John D. McGee," "M.R. Tibbs," "Floyd Thursby" and sundry others by an Editor terrified of the wrath of Glock, Galco and SigArms, has authored over 600 articles in periodicals such as Guns Magazine, Combat Handguns, Petersen's Handguns, American Handgunner, The New Gun Week, Gun & Shooter, Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement, Shooting Industry, American Firearms Industry, Machine Gun News, Practical Shooting International, Law Enforcement Technology, Police Product News, the late lamented The American Guardian, The Shotgun News, Germany's Visier, various DBI Books, and, in a misguided moment, even Women & Guns. He is a multiple graduate of John Farnam's Defensive Training International, plus courses by Ken Hackathorn and Pat Rogers' E.A.G. Tactical, as well as Gunsite, and Mas Ayoob's Lethal Force Institute. He is a Life Member of the National Rifle Association, with which organization he has been unsuccessfully engaged in battle for the past dozen years. In August 2001, in what must rank as one of the great ironies of the 21st Century, he was awarded a Lifetime Membership in the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation!

I would recommend Gun Tests, which accepts no advertising, but some of their "tests" are just plain flaky and wacko.

So, I get a lot of information online or from knowledgeable friends and generally pass on the magazines.

Guest yankeegonesouthern

I do most of my reading online so most of my non-computer read time is also "on the throne". Bassin and TNsportsman for now. I have looked at so many guns. :) lmao

Guest Fuel
I get Guns & Ammo, American Rifleman, and Shooting Times.

I usually don't have time to sit down and read through them. I just read a few articles here and there while I'm on the can.

I subscribe to Guns & Ammo for the same reason. :devil:

Since I don't try to buy the "latest and greatest" of anything, I subscribe to Handloader, which has a lot of information on older guns and cartridges. I also get American Rifleman from the NRA, which I believe every gunowner should belong to, whether you agree with everything they do or not. If you are into really accurate rifles, Precision Shooting is a good magazine. While it is primarily aimed at benchrest shooters, there is a lot of good stuff there. Rifle magazine by the same publisher of Handloader is also good. I don't expect many here will be interested in some of these since the primary focus by posters here is semi-auto handguns (bottom feeders). While I have my share of these, lately I have looked more at revolvers and I don't find much on these, except for the new S&W super lightweights, which to me are overpriced and ugly.

John

• 6 months later...
Guest tbreed725

handguns,handgunner,guns and weapons for law enforcment,combat handguns, anything with dave spaulding,clint smith,mike boyle,rich grassi,paul markel, patrick sweeny in them.

I read American Handgunner,Combat Handguns and Guns.The worst mag is the Tactical Journal that IDPA puts out 4 times a year.The only issue I look at is the one covering the IDPA Nationals with the numbers on the equipment and guns/ammo used.