Nashvillians: Had Enough?

Is anyone tired of the Metro elections already? I honestly have not reviewed all the candidates or what they stand for, but I can already tell that there isn't anyone out there I'd care to vote for.

Can we get someone to stand up and say, "I'm tired of being bribed with my own money"? The function of city gov't is not to attract sports teams and other forms of low lifes to the city. Maintain and improve the infrastructure, cease doing things that Metro government has no business doing, lower the tax rates, increase efficiency of gov't and the rest of it will take care of itself.

Why is it in the middle of highly anti-union town the biggest unions are the public sector ones? What prompted MNPD members to join the Teamsters Union? I get a number of cops through my shop and I hear a lot of unhappiness. Why is that? Are any of the current candidates for anything going to address these things, or are they all going to mouth the same lines about security and funding?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're running? Rabbi '08?

I would. But I cannot imagine Davidson County voters pulling the lever for a middle aged overweight Orthodox Jewish gun store owner.

But darn someone in this state needs to get up and say those things. The state Republican Party has been an incredibile disappointment. You have one or two good conservatives like Marsha Blackburn or Mae Beavers but that's it.

Barring the unforeseen, Bob Clement will be the next mayor of Metro, and I for one will be disappointed. He's looking for a job, nothing more. The best candidates, the one's with vision and ideas, don't stand a chance since Clement is connected to lots of Nashville and Tennessee Democratic money.

Its a shame, since Nashville has a history of taking tentative steps forward, then stepping back. Nashville is at the top of everyone's list for a good business climate, a culturally rich and diverse population, and growth in wealth and stature. However, it seems to be on the verge of a step back. Nashville is at a crossroads, engaged in a tug of war between groups that want the "old Nashville" (provincial southern town) to stay and those who want to transform it into the new capitol of the new south, displacing the monstrosity 4 hours to our south. I fear the worst thing for our fair city is 4 (likely 8) years of mediocre at best leadership.

Dont even get me started on Metro council, perhaps the most inept group of 40 people ever to assemble in the same room. Its hard to imagine things getting worse there.

Better stop now, as I could go on for hours on this topic...

I would. But I cannot imagine Davidson County voters pulling the lever for a middle aged overweight Orthodox Jewish gun store owner.

But darn someone in this state needs to get up and say those things. The state Republican Party has been an incredibile disappointment. You have one or two good conservatives like Marsha Blackburn or Mae Beavers but that's it.

I heard there was dis-satisfaction with the prior CBU among some sworn officers, but was a pretty close vote whether to stay or join the Teamsters. Some union-related grief there, some Chief-related grief there from what I hear.

When I first heard that I thought it was a joke. As a former LEO I just can’t comprehend Police Officer joining the Teamsters.
When I first heard that I thought it was a joke. As a former LEO I just can’t comprehend Police Officer joining the Teamsters.

\

My impression is that the Teamsters are viewed as a more aggressive union. Why MNPD felt the need for a more aggressive union is an interesting question itself, one I have no answer to.

But it is indicative of the state of employee relations. I tend not to think it is an issue of pay and benefits but of working conditions.

I also tend to think things would work much better if both Metro Public Schools and MNPD among others were made an "open shop."