Rattlers in the Smokies...

Guest SUNTZU

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to fly fish a bunch in the smokies. One time I was in between tremont and metcalf bottoms and as I exited the stream on a rocky incline I heard rattlers and I about sh*t in my waders.I never saw the snake but I was moving on down.

Guest jackdog

I've found 5 of these suckers on my property in the 4 yrs. Incidentally they all died of some internal disorder. The largest was 3' 9" and 7" in diameter. Really weird thing is the first 6 years we were here we never saw one.

My first Backpacking trip in the smokeys I walked up on a Rattler.

Scaried the crap out of me. It sounded like a dry fly! After that I

saw them everywhere... or at least I thought I did! LOL!

Every time I fished after that I thought I heard them everywhere.

Guest Traumaslave
One time I was in between tremont and metcalf bottoms

I took my Mom on the short hike to the waterfall behind Tremont. On the way back we came across a small rattler, about 12", that was in the middle of the trail. Then, about 10 min later, we saw a 6' black snake. She hasn't gone hiking with me since.:D

Guest jackdog
Timber rattlers are delicious...especially after eating dehydrated food out of a backpack for a few weeks...a few small trout grabbed out of stream are also pretty good eatin.

have any good reciepes, I'm sure anothe one will drop dead around here this spring.:D

I have eaten western diamond back and must say it was pretty good, however the meat is extremely rich

Guest jackdog
That's why I always carry 2 chambers stoked with rat shot in my 357 when I go into the woods. You know, just to scare them off!:bat::(

I would think of no other reason:D

I took my Mom on the short hike to the waterfall behind Tremont. On the way back we came across a small rattler, about 12", that was in the middle of the trail. Then, about 10 min later, we saw a 6' black snake. She hasn't gone hiking with me since.:(

That area must be loaded with them. I was on the same trail a couple of years ago when a rattler came up to the trail and struck at my buddys ankle as he walked by. Missed him by about an inch. It would have been bad because we still well over a mile from the entrance.

Guest mikedwood

I have never seen one in the Smokys, but I have seen one sunning himself in the road in Crossville. He was about 3'6" long. I had no idea they in Crossville.

i have never seen one in the smokies. about 8 years ago on a 4th july outing about a mile behind my house we found 4 within about 3/4 of mi. one of them measure 47 inches long. the biggest one i have ever seen in this area. really was some good eating.:usa:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aBRG2far

Abrams Creek in the Smokies is the most snakey place I've ever seen. Once coming back from the falls I decided to follow the creek instead of the trail. As I traveled downstream I encountered snakes on almost every ledge or under some I had stepped over, they were even dropping out of the trees into the water.

Guest JeepMonkey

I was just at Cade's Cove last weekend...with half the state of Tennessee. I saw a few small black snakes and what looked like a copperhead (didn't get close enough to fnd out), but no rattlers.

• 2 months later...
Guest Big C

Sence I was a little boy I have hiked in the mountians, on the big trail. I have seen many snakes, and yes rattlers, mostly coperheads and king or black snakes. I have travled all over this great county and seen rattlers every where. I don't like snakes. the snake I hate most I ran across in Arkansas is a Blue racer, this snake you will know because it will chase you. Rattlers normly go thier own way, but you should alway respect them and use caution. Remember it is thier home, even if it is your yard too.