What methods of less-lethal self defense are legal in TN?

Guest ProguninTN
Most of the time when I'm carrying off duty, I don't have my badge on my belt. The only time that I wear my badge is when I want my presence as a LEO known in certain circumstances. I keep it in my pocket just in case, but for the most part I CCW just like anyone else.

Personally I think that the CCW badges are not a good idea.

Picture this - You're walking out of your local grocery store and some old lady just got her car jacked. Her car and the assailant are already out of the parking lot and speeding off. She sees you with a badge and a gun and automatically assumes that you are a LEO. She wants you to help her, but all you can do is give her your cell phone and tell her to call the cops.

I am with demon. I actually had someone mistake me for a officer once. (I am a Security Officer and was on-duty at the time.) All I could do for that person was call the police. Therefore, I agree that badges are dangerous business.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any LEO or firearms teacher that sells CCW badges is a jackass and should have his permit revoked or fired or both. That is absolutely the worst idea anyone ever had. Wearing one is just asking for trouble, might as well put a bullseye on you forehead, or wear a sign "I have a gun":rant:;)

Guest canynracer
I do know, that when I am open carrying, I get some pretty horrible stares from people!

that is what the badge is for...if you open carry, and have a badge near your gun on your belt, the public is more at ease...nobody reads the badge, the "assume" its legit...

and no, I dont have one, and no its not impersonating unless you attempt to use it as if it give you authority...

Guest CrazyLincoln
BTW, you can get a badge for anything, and have it SAY anything as well...they are customizeable http://www.popguns.com/badge/custombadges.htm

I have one that says TOTAL BAD ASS...ROFLMAO...I am KIDDING people!!!

Actually I have a better idea. Instead of a CCW badge, you gotta roll Jules style and have a "Bad Mofo" wallet...

*R-rated warning*

http://www.bmfwallets.com

For those who haven't seen pulp fiction, here's the scene it came from:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd4VSkj0Wks[/ame]

Batons, blackjacks, and slappers work decent on someone, if you have that TN certificate. Be aware that they are not always legal in other states. You can use a good maglite just like a baton. I purchased a Surefire E2D recently to have a good small flashlight. It can also be used as an impact weapon (though not my primary purpose in buying). I do not think the TSA is making a stink of people carrying small flashlights on planes. Seems like a good thing if you have a wierdo in an airport bathroom and need to give him a knock upside the head with a little more to it than just your bare fist.

I think the best non lethal self defense is pepper spray, specifically a good brand like Fox Labs. You can keep your distance from an attacker, spray him in the face, and run for safety. They are good for folks who want protection, but do not have a desire to carry a handgun. You can spray pretty much anywhere. The problem with pepper spray is you cannot take it past the checkpoints when flying. You can only put it in your luggage that goes under the plane.

I saw a presentation of the taser gun last night on the Discovery Channel. It looks like a great option for law enforcement who deal with crazies all the time that want to kill themselves, but the police of course have firearms if the taser does not work. You only get one shot with the taser gun.

On a side note, i think it is pretty funny someone with a handgun carry permit would want to put a badge on their belt and openly carry a sidearm. I'm not in the business of arresting people, chasing down crooks, or breaking up fights. I also do not want people running to me for help thinking i am the police. The handgun carry permit is just a way to give you an exemption from the general prohibition to carrying a handgun with intent to go armed. That's it. A few people who are given permits get this idea they are now the police and can be the tough guy. Not a smart idea. The best path is to operate under the radar until you need to protect yourself.

razorback2003 are you talking about the 12g taster round?thet would be nice for home defense.load one taser and have the rest people shot just incase it did not do the job.

I do know, that when I am open carrying, I get some pretty horrible stares from people!

imagine the looks i get when i carry open.people see me in a chair,they look at my hg,and they know im not leo and they rack their brains trying to figure me out.i think one day someones head will just explode:mad:

btw what was in the briefcase?

Guest Cap and Ball

I have a ? If you chose a less-lethal weapon for self defense( baton , pepper spray or even rubber bullets) and a situation ended up turning lethal how would the prosecution look at this? Would using less-lethal method be beneficial to you in the eyes of a jury or would this hurt you? Just something that has crossed my mind.

Cap and Ball

I tend to agree with you regarding carrying less than lethal options and also carrying a handgun may mess you up with a prosecutor. A prosecutor is going to wonder why some guy is carrying a stun gun, pepper spray, baton, and a handgun. I myself would wonder is someone who has a whole range of toys to choose from on his belt out looking for trouble and trying to play police. I like to keep it simple and just carry a handgun. If i can run from someone, i will (yes i know this is a stand your ground state, but it's always best to not use deadly force if it can be avoided). If you are in a situation where you are cornered and being beat badly and you fear grave bodily harm, you would be justified in using your handgun to defend yourself. Say you have a stun gun, handgun, and spray, then a prosecutor could ask "Why didn't this guy who wants to play police use his spray instead of a handgun?" I personally want to look like an average Joe, who just cares to defend himself from death or bodily harm, not getting into fights with drunks on Beale Street and using my blackjack on one.

I see merit in just carrying spray when a handgun is not an option for whatever reason, or even a slapper (with the training card), but again many such weapons, especially impact weapons, are used to man handle crazies by the police. I would not want to be in a self defense situation and it be found out i had spray, stun gun, and a slapper to use when i used a handgun. A person who carries for self defense should want to have the appearance of a citizen who is peaceful, level headed, and avoids conflict...even when a drunk may be insulting someone.....not hey got a slapper and some drunk shoves i'll pop him upside the head a few times to straighten him up! It's not worth it. I'll stick to a snub 38 when i need it and let others get the fake police badges, slappers, blackjacks, and collapsible batons and try to figure out how to conceal all that under a jacket!

Well said.

The criteria for self defense is "CAN YOU GET AWAY FROM THE THREAT?" If you cannot, you are in self defense mode and rules do not apply. If you can get away and still use lethal force, you are in legal jeopardy.

If you spend $100K defending yourself in court when you could have backed or run away, you will regret it.

The bad thing about chemical spray, which I am credentialed to instruct, is often IT DOES NOT WORK! If the bad guy is on booze, crack, or meth, spray will likely not stop him, and you will be wearing it as well when he locks up with you! The spray WILL work on you. Count on it. I certify folks for it because many guard companies mandate its use. Do NOT make this your ONLY option.

I like the Mace Pepper Foam or Gel. Even if the person is under the influence, it will stick to him and obscure his vision long enough for you to have a chance to get away. Also, there is almost no overspray, so uninvolved bystanders are not affected. ;^)

If it goes to civil court, and the perp's attorney asks what you sprayed in his harmless client's face, you can smile and say "FOOD ADDITIVE". No dry cleaning solvents, or synthetic chemicals.