What methods of less-lethal self defense are legal in TN?

• Administrator

I gather that pepper spray / mace and tasers are. What about collapsible batons?

Granted a baton could easily turn deadly depending on how you employ it, so training would seem to be an absolute must before one started carrying one of those.

Eagerly awaiting feedback on the subject. :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
I find that fashing one of those CCW badges like they sell at the gun shows is a great less-lethal defense. People usually cower away in fright when you flash that bitch.

Yep. I've come upon a couple people with the CCW badges and a couple security guards wearing thier badges on their belts. Makes me fear for my life right there on the spot.

I had one guy ask me where I got my badge at when my shirt blew open one day. It was different than his and he liked it, well until he took a closer look at it and figured out that it was real :D

CCW Badges seem a bit goofy, to me, but with all due objectivity there might be some situations which you might benefit from a quickly identified 'good-guy' badge.

There are a few reasons why I don't own one:

- I've never heard of a success story involving CCW badges.

- Wearing them in plain sight pretty much goes against the whole idea of carrying concealed.

- It could possibly be construed as impersonating an officer, depending on how you conduct yourself.

- In my mind, since any criminal could buy one and wear it while accosting someone, there's no 'value-added'.

- In any situation which requires you to identify yourself as a legally-armed citizen, the badge would mean nothing until you pulled out your permit as well... so, why not just carry your permit in a holder?

I don't know how such a thing would be recieved by LEOs... but I do know that some LEOs who teach TN HCP classes, sell them. So, it must be somewhat accepted as reasonable in some circles.

I doubt that wearing or carrying a CCW badge is un-safe... provided that you conduct yourself in a manner which is above reproach.

I thought about buying one of those, but I agree, it kind of defeats the purpose of being concealed. Not to mention that I didn't want to be thought of as LE when I am not. The only time I might would reconsider is if I was open carrying. People tend to be a little less apprehensive when they see a badge, and most people don't know the difference between security officer/ccw/le badges until they get right up on top of them.

Guest RN MEDIC

Folks, PLEASE DON'T display that badge. First, LEO's don't like them. Not that this makes it illegal, but we want to maintain good rapport and cooperation as law abiding citizens. Second, and one that might just involve saving your life, open carry with the badge implies a mindset that must include firearm retention. Got to watch for the guy who will slip up, take your gun, and shoot you with it. Also, EVERY firearms instructor I've ever spoken with or been in their class taught the great advantage of concealed carry with the element/advantage of surprise. MANY times I've reviewed stories/accounts of how staying stealth allowed the good guy to finally pull his concealed piece and fire killing the bad guy when the opportunity finally presented itself. NOT ONCE have I seen a time in which open carry with the badge ever did.

Also, sometimes people tend to want to wear the badge and carry openly to "show'em I'm bad". Without the level of maturity needed for carrying a firearm with wisdom, this can lead to "glaring contests" (other terms could be used here, but this is a clean forum. I for one would like to see it STAY that way.) the permit holder and some thug or group of trolls. That glaring contest can and sometimes does lead to more than glaring or words. Best stay out of fights. As an RN of many years, intensive care experienced, and paramedic of some years experience in a busy service with a LOT of gun shot wounds, YOU DON'T WANT TO GET SHOT. IT HURTS! I see what happens to gsw victims "behind the curtain" and it can really be tough.

Folks, it's tempting sometimes to put on that nice shiny badge and show that gun one may be so proud of and walk around in town to see who will give an admiring look our way, but you'll gain a lot MORE respect from others when they learn that you've been a qualified gun carry citizen for years and kept concealed in public. For example, the church where we attend is on a major U.S. highway coming through a fair size town where there are all types walking by during services. We often have requests for help which are looked into and dealt with accordingly, but more than once someone under the influence has become belligerent. More than once, our leadership has been very thankful that myself and another member there (the other guy is a city patrolman who know I carry and approves heartily) were present, armed, and alert to trouble that might present itself. I wouldn't openly carry there and offend or scare one of those little elderly people or others for the whole world, but I am armed and always that way over there.

Forgive an old guy for rambling on too long. Must be that anesthesia that they keep giving me every year with the surgeries that just keep adding up. Just hope I've said something helpful to someone.

Most Respectfully, RN

Thanks for the input, RN. Like I said on my other post, I don't intend on getting one, I was just interested in the thoughts of LE on it.

Come to think of it, the person I heard about it from was a security guard at the local grocery store. I'm probably not the brightest bulb in the pack for even thinking about it.

Most of the time when I'm carrying off duty, I don't have my badge on my belt. The only time that I wear my badge is when I want my presence as a LEO known in certain circumstances. I keep it in my pocket just in case, but for the most part I CCW just like anyone else.

Personally I think that the CCW badges are not a good idea.

Picture this - You're walking out of your local grocery store and some old lady just got her car jacked. Her car and the assailant are already out of the parking lot and speeding off. She sees you with a badge and a gun and automatically assumes that you are a LEO. She wants you to help her, but all you can do is give her your cell phone and tell her to call the cops.