357 ammo question

res308

Shooting my Smith 586 6" 357 yesterday. I had bought some of the Federal C357B 125 JHP a few weeks ago. From what I've read this is still one of the top rated defense rounds. Also got some of the Hornady XTP 125 and one of my personal favorites - Speer Gold Dot 125. Now, first I ran some 158 grain soft points. The 586 seemed to really like those. Then I ran the Federal 125JHP. I couldn't pay 'em enough to fly straight. My Ruger SP101 likes the 125's just fine. I'm not sure what the twist rate is on the Smith 586, but I'm wondering now. I need to get back out when I have some more time and try the XTP's and Gold Dots. Anyone else had this experience? It's just got me curious.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kingtone

i have some federal 140 grain premium that i found to be rather hard to get right on target... but im firing from a 2" Ruger SP 101... im needing to test some others to get the ones that fly best for that gun. It could be just the muzzle lift killing my aim... i only got the gun 2 weeks ago so havent enough time with it to have hard data.

Hm... some guns just don't like some ammo. Those softpoints you shot first were jacketed, right? If they were lead I'd look into the possibility that maybe they leaded up the bore and led to decreased accuracy.

Also, what did the patterns look like? If they were vertical in nature that can sometimes mean an erratic powder charge weight leading to extreme spreads in velocity which would result in high and low points of impact. (I know, not likely with good factory ammo, but I'm jus posturing here)

Of course, the fact that they were fine in your SP101 has me thinking that your 586 and that ammo just don't get along well.

That's what I'm thinkin' too. Yes the 158 soft points were jacketed. Sorry, should have specified that. They were PMC. First of that brand I've really done any shooting with. Side note here: I noticed the PMC was hard to eject from the cylinder - brass swelled up more than the Federal. Had to pop the ejector rod fairly briskly to eject. Not something I want to contend with while fending off coyotes or rabid squirrels.:D

That's interesting. I picked it up and saved it out of normal habit when I was finished. I still consider myself to be a beginner on the reloading stuff (couple of years). What do I need to know about the PMC brass? Thanks for the info.

Shooting my Smith 586 6" 357 yesterday. I had bought some of the Federal C357B 125 JHP a few weeks ago. From what I've read this is still one of the top rated defense rounds. Also got some of the Hornady XTP 125 and one of my personal favorites - Speer Gold Dot 125. Now, first I ran some 158 grain soft points. The 586 seemed to really like those. Then I ran the Federal 125JHP. I couldn't pay 'em enough to fly straight. My Ruger SP101 likes the 125's just fine. I'm not sure what the twist rate is on the Smith 586, but I'm wondering now. I need to get back out when I have some more time and try the XTP's and Gold Dots. Anyone else had this experience? It's just got me curious.

I recently tested the Federal 125 grain semi-jacketed personal defense, .357 magnum (supposed #1 manstopper of all time) in water jugs. I will let the photo do most of the talking, but it fell apart and looked unsubstantial. It did penetrate very deeply (into the 4th water jug) but I will never carry it in my gun. Also, my first test is always accuracy. This ammo was all over the target and I could not get it to shoot straight. Just my thoughts and findings. Later, B

bulleta025.jpg

Guest Mugster

I'm not a fan of federal's ammunition for the reasons you point out. The inaccuracy is probably the velocity being all over the place which is also true of their .45acp offering. They lose their jackets and fragment in phonebooks too from tests i ran.

In terms of a factory .357 magnum round, I like the remington R357M2 or the R357M3, both are 158's, the M2 is a semi jacketed hp, and the M3 is a spire point. I give the nudge to the M3 in a 4" or greater barrel. That's what I run in my 4" K framed smith.

If you like the 125gr hp idea, stick with speer gold dots, imo. The XTP is a good bullet, but you'll play hell trying to find it on a shelf someplace unless you want to handload it.

Guest Mugster

That leverevolution bullet is supposed to be pretty good. I'd like to try some out, but I just don't need any more different bullets.

And what's an EDC{sp101}?

That leverevolution bullet is supposed to be pretty good. I'd like to try some out, but I just don't need any more different bullets.

And what's an EDC{sp101}?

Yea, the leverevolution is a good bullet design, but moreso for hunting rather than SD, I believe. It's made with that polymer tip so it's safe for loading in the tubular magazines of a levergun, and to provide a much better ballistic coefficient to reduce drag and therefore carry more velocity longer, leading to a flatter trajectory. While they may look cool in a cylinder, what with red tips pointing out and all, I'd much rather stick with a good standard HP design.

Good deal. I understand that. I think you're right in that there's so much opinion out there that any bullet could be either the very best or the very worst, just depends who you talk to. Pick what you're comfy with and go with that.

I recently tested the Federal 125 grain semi-jacketed personal defense, .357 magnum (supposed #1 manstopper of all time) in water jugs. I will let the photo do most of the talking, but it fell apart and looked unsubstantial. It did penetrate very deeply (into the 4th water jug) but I will never carry it in my gun. Also, my first test is always accuracy. This ammo was all over the target and I could not get it to shoot straight. Just my thoughts and findings. Later, B

bulleta025.jpg

That was informative. Thanks man. I've got about two boxes of these left and I've got a gooooood idea for them. Looking like I've got about two boxes of once-fired brass coming up!