My Kahr=crap

nolo

I just bought a new CW40. I was putting the recommended 200 rounds through it and it started malfunctioning around number 150. It was not loading the next round. It would not chamber the first round when I put the magazine in. The slide stop got bent during the firing and now the slide is just locked and won't move. The slide started to shave polymer off the front right slide rail too. It's on its way back to Kahr now. Think they will replace it with a new one or at least a factory refurbished one?

It's a shame because half way through the shooting I liked the gun as well as my Glocks. That's the last Kahr I will ever buy!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a new CW40. I was putting the recommended 200 rounds through it ...

That's really too bad...

I'm guessing there's about a 5% problem rate on new Kahrs, sorry you're in that percentage.

Folks are generally pleased enough with Kahr service, whatever they decide to do.

One complaint about the service is that you might have to be (politely) forceful about them paying for the shipping to them if you're going to send it yourself.

- OS

The gun shop is going to take care of all that. They said that Kahr will pay for shipping, but that adds about 4-5 days on the turn around time. So I'll probably have a Kahr for sale in a few weeks, along with the new holster I just purchased.

The gun shop is going to take care of all that. They said that Kahr will pay for shipping, but that adds about 4-5 days on the turn around time. So I'll probably have a Kahr for sale in a few weeks, along with the new holster I just purchased.

Oh, c'mon...

Shoot it again when it comes back...it'll probably be fine.

- OS

actually the shop should have taken the gun back and given you a refund in full... or at the very least let you pick out another gun to replace it with. Thats good customer service.

Anyway, if you raise enought hell with Kahr they will add night sights to that gun for free... they do it all the time, just a lil FYI.

That sucks. There is nothing worse than buying a new gun and having to send it back. I would suggest trying it again after you get it back. I bet it will function great for you. I love my Kahr's. I understand that once you lose confidence in a gun it is hard to ever trust it again. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I think they should have too, especially since I bought it 2 days ago. But I don't blame them. Kahr probably will try to repair the gun instead of replacing it. They would be stuck loosing money on a deal that isn't their fault. At least I am getting free shipping and it should be covered under warranty. If not that is when I will raise hell.

Guest Astra900

I would have certainly asked the store to take it back, and get something else. It might be perfect once they fix it, everyone makes mistakes, but a bad gun will leave a bad impression with you that is VERY hard to shake.

You could politely ask the shop to exchange it, most they can do is say no.

Guest KWW67
actually the shop should have taken the gun back and given you a refund in full... or at the very least let you pick out another gun to replace it with. Thats good customer service.

Anyway, if you raise enought hell with Kahr they will add night sights to that gun for free... they do it all the time, just a lil FYI.

That is the customer service I have been talking about. Just doing the right thing. Phil, I will come by your shop next time I need something. I will be a pleasure to meet you.

Guest JHatmaker

Good luck with everything. I was looking at getting a Kahr myself but went with a Glock. If they are willing to replace I would definately ask for a new one and not a factory-refurb. Even if there's no difference I'd be pi$$ed if I just paid for something new and after a few days it broke and they offered me a refurbed model.

I know all gun manufacturers are different, but when I first got my Baby Eagle it was doing something similar to your issue where the slide was not catching the first bullet and wouldn't close, and when I called their customer service dept, they sent me several different parts to try and replace to see if that would work, and said it they didn't they'd replace the gun with a new one at no cost (shipping etc).

Hope it all works out, but don't give up on the gun once it's fixed.

... If they are willing to replace I would definately ask for a new one and not a factory-refurb....

To my knowledge, Kahr doesn't do factory refurb route.

They just fix or replace whatever.

Might take just parts, or new barrel, slide, frame, whatever, but they make the original gun right.

- OS

Guest JHatmaker
To my knowledge, Kahr doesn't do factory refurb route.

They just fix or replace whatever.

Might take just parts, or new barrel, slide, frame, whatever, but they make the original gun right.

- OS

That's good news for nolo then. On his first post he was asking if they'll give him new or refurb if they can't fix it. So if they do offer refurbs, which looks like they don't, not to accept that as one of his options.

I called Kahr. They said, without looking at the gun, that their goal was to put new parts in to replace the defective parts and to not have to send out a new pistol. He said it was very rare that they shipped out a new pistol. They do make sure that the pistol is functioning at 100% before they send it out. It may work out okay.

I called Kahr. They said, without looking at the gun, that their goal was to put new parts in to replace the defective parts and to not have to send out a new pistol. He said it was very rare that they shipped out a new pistol. They do make sure that the pistol is functioning at 100% before they send it out. It may work out okay.

We have had to send back a couple of "CW" model Kahrs in the past couple of years. They always come back with the issues addressed and so far we've only had one problem pop back up and it was the dreaded 'operator error.'

That's a good way to look at it. It should be 100% the next time I fire it.

Good odds that it will be.

Kahrs, being so small and mainly thin, are right at the limits of engineering capability for the oomph, methinks, especially the PM series.

Point is, the tolerances are such that everything needs to be near perfect and if anything is the least bit hinky during manufacture, it can stop the gun.

Matter of fact, one of the differences between CW and other Kahr series, is that some parts are MIM instead of cast/milled. Matter of fact, the CW slide stop lever is MIM, and that could have been part of the prob.

Not saying that MIM is necessarily inferior, just that it's not perhaps as quality controllable, since a defect isn't necessarily observable and there's less "hands on" in fitting/milling.

- OS

I agree about the tolerances of the gun needing to be excessively tight, but I also say that is a bad thing. If dirt, gunk etc gets in there and messes with those tolerances, you are looking at a less reliable gun, period. I hope it isn't 100% a tolerance issue, just for the simple fact that if the gun is that tolerance sensitive you are in a world of hurt if you don't have an OCD to keep your guns spotless.

I dont see the injection molded metal as inferior at all, it should be fine because I have no doubt that Kahr sends those parts through a finishing processes to make sure they are within spec. I sure hope they aren't molding/casting those parts and just knocking the slag off and moving on. If they are, it is going to bite them in the arse and is probably biting already.

Milling of the parts, even CNC would require large high production, so I doubt the operator is doing any "hand fitting", it would be on down the line in assembly, which is where the cast parts should also be "fitted" so I really think it is more or less a coincidence with the CW series in general being the problem. They are cheaper guns, they are cheaper for reasons that are unbeknown to us and it is just how it is. They dont make as much money on the CW models, therefore they are not going to spend the time on them as with the higher end P models. Are the cast parts the problem? perhaps. Are there other underlying reasons for the issues? I think so.

I think Kahrs are a great idea and great concept, they just miss on execution just ever so slightly and unfortunately that is costing them business over the internet because rumors spread like wildfire. The best they can do is make it right, and have great customer service. If you get that gun back, and it isn't 100% I would expect a refund, or compensation of some sort like a new pistol that I would sell ASAP upon recieving it. [/rant]

good luck!!

Edited by RoDan
Guest Todd@CIS
My logic may be off here. But I would put more trust in a pistol that is getting as much individual attention as yours is than I would a brand new one.

I have a KelTec P-3AT. Bought it brand new and it couldn't get through a mag from the start. Send it to KT (who replaced parts and did alot of polishing).

Since then, I have yet to have a single malfunction with it.