Electric Guitar Players?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mark_justmark

Speaking of "home made" guitars

We were in Cape Town and caught this cat jamming on an oil can guitar. COOL!

222186156_38bccaabcd.jpg?v=0

I just finished building this guitar from scratch:

I don't play nearly as much as I used to, but do get great pleasure from building them now.

Guest mark_justmark

Which is worse?, picking a banjo on the front porch by the river or on the back porch in the dark?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PYk2EHyHOHE/SY4JlE2BITI/AAAAAAAAARs/bjuNTVyVr3M/s1600-h/deliverancekid1.jpg

I am TEASING because I can't stand it! I played banjo long enough to "master" Foggy Mtn Breakdown, in my own mind, and quit banjo and went back to chicken pickin

Seriously, that was very good music from both you'ns

Some of you'ns have already seen it, but click my link below to see me play a banjo.
I played in a punk band in high school, so I'll teach you all 3 chords I know :lol:

cool, I played country music professionaly on the road for 20 years, I can teach you the other 3...not sure if there is more...:down:

Db

A lot of the tools came from stew mac. All the wood is local though, Jeffries in Seymour.

AH HA! A local source for book matched maple?

I'm all ears!

AH HA! A local source for book matched maple?

I'm all ears!

If you know where the big cemetery is on Chapman, Jefferies is in the industrial complex behind there. They have a good selection of exotic woods (many which I think would be of interest to gun and knife enthusiasts, lots of cocobolo, and rosewoods). Their really nice maple comes in and out pretty fast, but they consistently have some decently figured stuff. They don't have much 6/4 maple for bookmatching as carved guitar tops, but they do have some, and I've found some really nice stuff there. They will resaw too. Prices are very fair, especially compared to getting wood at somewhere like woodcraft.

Excellent! This revelation couldn't come at a better time. I'm building a new tele and wanted to put a slick looking top on it.

Thanks!

If you are into building teles, they had quite a bit of 8/4 basswood when I was there last. I picked up enough for about 6 guitars, and the two I have made out of it were exceptional sounding. It is a really soft wood, so I can dent, but has a nice sound to it.

Guest LieutenantDan67

Great job on the Swamp Monster, Metal!!! I love how that thing looks.

Around 2001 or so, I shopped for HOURS at Guitar Center and literally played around 20 strats and kept coming back to the heaviest one; solid ash, natural finish, maple board. Weighed a metric ton but just had tone forever! It was a studio guitar so I never had to burden myself with it; it'd put your leg to sleep, though! :rolleyes:

Guest Metal
Great job on the Swamp Monster, Metal!!! I love how that thing looks.

Around 2001 or so, I shopped for HOURS at Guitar Center and literally played around 20 strats and kept coming back to the heaviest one; solid ash, natural finish, maple board. Weighed a metric ton but just had tone forever! It was a studio guitar so I never had to burden myself with it; it'd put your leg to sleep, though! :D

Thanks!!!!:rolleyes: