Anyone here own a Ruger American 7.62x39?

jeff43

26 minutes ago, Eray said:

I've got one but never shot it. I got an email today that grabagun.com has them back in stock. $569 if I remember correctly. People on rugerforum.com say they are very accurate.

Ok, I’ve always wanted one and found a new one today I can get for $450 OTD.Thought I better grab it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jeff43 said:

Ok, I’ve always wanted one and found a new one today I can get for $450 OTD.Thought I better grab it.

I would grab it. Heck at that price for a new one, I would buy a second one. I just bought mine because I had a lot of 7.62 x 39 ammo and Mini 30 mags. I also bought one of the new Ruger American Predator rifles with the 18 inch barrel in .308. I just like bolt guns with short barrels.

1 hour ago, Eray said:

I would grab it. Heck at that price for a new one, I would buy a second one. I just bought mine because I had a lot of 7.62 x 39 ammo and Mini 30 mags. I also bought one of the new Ruger American Predator rifles with the 18 inch barrel in .308. I just like bolt guns with short barrels.

Me a and you are in the same boat,I got a ton of 7.62x39 for my AK’s and SKS’s, and I also like short barrel rifles and shotguns!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have one.  Aftermarket magazines work but you may have to dremel the catch on the magazines so they will click into the rifle.   Russian ammo can be sticky.  Chinese works much better in mine.  I bought some brass ammo to see if it made a difference.  I have not tried it yet.

On 11/11/2022 at 5:29 PM, JonDaddy82 said:

They shoot pretty alight to me! This was at 100 yards with a Leupold VX-R 2-7. Feeding as not been an issue with factory 20 round magazines. 

American Ranch.jpg

Intesting, I've often thought about getting a bolt gun in x39 as I too have a crap ton of assorted steel ammo.  Then I always realize how mediocre the accuracy is at least in all my Comm block semiautos.  Course I'm not shooting dollar a round x39,  nor will I.  

Your rifle seems to like whatever "Win" and "AE" are.  what's happening at 3 or 400 yards?  what are all the brands of ammo on your target? I can't make them all out although several look like spendy ammo.  I'd love to see a comparison of all the run of the mill steelcase that everybody has access to such as, Tula,  Golden Tiger, Barnaul, the Tigers, the Bears, Red Army, Yellow Army, whatever, etc.

I don't think I'd ever go out and buy brass cased expensive x39 ammo for bolt gun target shooting.   I get that these may be handy lightweight solutions for pests and varmints on the farm, or a good dear gun under 100yds.  BUT if there was reasonably  improved accuracy out of a bolt gun for the lifetime of Steel x39 that I already have I might be tempted to get one.

Didn't CZ make a pretty nice one as well?

Win is Winchester white box, and AE is Federal American Eagle in the red box. I have not shot it past 100 yards. CZ makes a very nice one! Got on of those as well, it's called a 527 Carbine. I haven't shot it in years, but from what I remember it was more accurate. 

53 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

I wound up selling mine.Played with it for a while with different ammo, it just didn’t shoot accurate enough to suit me.

Hate to hear that. Also hate that I didn't get a chance to buy it. LOL

2 hours ago, jeff43 said:

I wound up selling mine.Played with it for a while with different ammo, it just didn’t shoot accurate enough to suit me.

Wow, that was a fast turnaround. You think it was the actual gun? The particular ammo you were using? Or just that 762x39 round doesn't present for accurate shooting

3 hours ago, GS455 said:

Wow, that was a fast turnaround. You think it was the actual gun? The particular ammo you were using? Or just that 762x39 round doesn't present for accurate shooting

Tried 3 different kinds of steel case ammo, some brass case Winchester ammo.I started to load some rounds and see if I could tighten up the groups , but decided to sell it to a friend that was looking for one.I watched some videos on them, some shoot better than others.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...