ZLB Plasma centers

with times being tough, i have gone back to donating blood plasma. it gives me an extra 55 bucks a week cash. that is all good with things being tight.

that is not what this post is about. i conceal carry in this place all the time. however, when i got up out of my chair and walked out of the donor area, i overheard someone say i was carrying a pistol. upon checking, the butt of my glock was sticking out from under my shirt about 2 inches. i covered it up, went and got my payment and headed to the front door.

upon walking out the door, the center manager approached me and asked me if she could talk to me really quick. i smiled and said sure, what's on your mind? she asked if i was carrying to which i replied yes i am, i have a TN handgun permit. she said well we do not allow them (guns) here. my instant reply was that is all good, but are you aware that your establishment is not posted, and per Tennessee law your property is open to concealed/open carry unless you ask someone to leave. since i am leaving, there is no problem. she then goes off in in to the speech about supporting guns and all that other crap excuse makers spew, i am just listening to her babble as i have been told all i care to hear. then she said it is for employee safety. LMAO i thanked her for being polite and then left the property.

now the problem with this is somewhere here on TGO, there is a thread over a shooting in the parking lot of one of the other ZLB locations here in chattanooga. i am unclear on the circumstances on the shooting, i don't really care. it is a shooting that happened at a place of business that i also conduct business.

90% of the people who who donate plasma are good honest hardworking people needing that extra cash to make ends meet. then there are the thugs. the saggy pants, gang colors and all that mess.

so what to do now? if i do carry in there again, and i get asked if i am carrying and it is 100% concealed, what is the TN law on that? i have a feeling they are going to ask me next time i go back there. they cant search me or any of that, but i dont want to get in any trouble over some anti's BS rules blah blah.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer the question in your last paragrhaph....If she specifically told you not to come back armed and you do you are trespassing. See AG Opinion 07-148 Question 6 Since it is a misdemeanor the trespass would have to occur in a LEOs presence for him to charge you or the manage could charge you herself.

No, you do not have to answer any of the property owners questions. However, they do not have to let you on their property.

If you want to pursue it...there is a court case here that says a property owner is responsible for the protection of patrons if they know there is a dangerous situation. Since there has already been a shooting at a similar location you might could argue it is reasonable to think a dangerous situation exist.

Or....is there another plasma place? :)

• Administrator

I'm curious as to why you didn't speak up when you heard someone comment about your handgun in the first place, and politely tell them something along the lines of "Why, yes I sure do. I'm a Tennessee handgun carry permit holder, in fact. Did you know that one of these ZLB facilities was the site of a violent crime a while back? I'm surprised you aren't carrying something for your protection either."

At least it would have given them something to think about. ;)

there are 2 sides to that coin i guess. i could have stayed and debated it, but i chose to let her feel like she had dealt with it. those people that work there do not take well to someone with a mind and knows how to speak it as well.

she did not tell me not to come back armed, she jsut stated that they do not allow them blah blah blah. they all know about the shooting at the other location. it was all over the local news for 2 days.

when i return there wednesday, i will let you all know if the issue is dead. as far as i am concerned it is a dead one, it was my fault for the exposure, and all it took was one thug punk to see it and make a big deal about that. it wont be seen next time. i will pretend i am out eating somewhere lol

I don't want to hijack the thread but this brings up a problem I discussed with my Rep when AG opinion 07-148 was first issued. As some of you may remember 39-17-1359 use to say "post or announce" The announce part was removed in 2000. So you would think that would mean it would have to be posted in order to ban carry. But according the AG apparently not. For all practical purposes "announce" is still in effect.

With a HCP carry is legal just like many other activities, but if a property owner forbade someone entrance because of their hair style, political affiliation etc.....it wouldn't be tolerated.

It shouldn't be a problem for the rest of us if it isn't posted even if you were informed by them not to carry.

BTW, what are the requirements to give plasma? I used to give blood every year but was denied about 5 years back because of a new rule. I was in Europe in the service during certain years and there was supposedly a mad cow outbreak at that time and have been denied to give blood since. Does this apply to plasma too??

I guess I'm still indefinately deferred. I wonder what they did with my blood for all the years I gave before they came out with this deferral?? I may call them anyway and see what they mean by "Certain Parts of Europe".

Travel Outside The US and Canada

Indefinite Deferral:

United Kingdom - spent 3 months cumulatively from 1980 - 1996; or Europe - spent 5 years or more since 1980; or Associated with U.S. Military in certain parts of Europe for 6 months or more between 1980 - 1996

Certain African countries since 1977 - indefinite Deferral if 3 months stay or longer

Malarial endemic areas - 1 to 3 year Deferral

http://medicblood.com/newdonor.shtml

Edited by fivestring63
Guest Traumaslave
One more here for the 411 on donating.

They stick you with BIG ASSED needles!!! 16 gauge if I'm not mistaken. Big hole and big scars in your AC.

i am not sure what the reason is for the permanent deferral, i will google it in a second. they ask if you have been outside of the united states ANY since 1977, you are not allowed to have visited any 3rd world countries like Chad, Ecuador, South America, etc.

reasons for permanent deferral are listed below:

Hepatitis/Hepatitis Exposure

• Donor is permanently deferred with a history of hepatitis at age 11 or older
  • Donor is deferred for 12 months following hepatitis A, hepatitis B or hepatitis C exposure
  • Hepatitis secondary to a disease process is acceptable

Leishmaniasis

Donors who have ever had leishmaniasis are currently deferred.

Malaria

Donor is eligible if symptom free for three years.

Medications

Most medications are acceptable, the only medications that are NOT APPROVED are:

• Antibiotics – given for an active infection
  • Proscar<sup>©</sup> (finasteride) – usually given for prostate gland enlargement
  • Avodart<sup>©</sup> (dutasteride) – usually given for prostate enlargement
  • Propecia<sup>©</sup> (finasteride) – usually given for baldness
  • Accutane<sup>©</sup> (Amnesteem, Claravis, Sotret, isotretinoin) – usually given for severe acne
  • Soriatane<sup>©</sup> (acitretin) – usually given for severe psoriasis
  • Tegison<sup>©</sup> (etretinate) – usually given for severe psoriasis
  • Growth hormone from human pituitary glands – used only until 1985, usually for children with delayed or impaired growth
  • Coumadin (warfarin, Warfilone) – usually given for blood clots in the legs, heart or lungs
  • Hepatitis B Immune Globulin – given following an exposure to hepatitis B
    (Note: This is different from the hepatitis B vaccine which is a series of three injections given over a six-month period to prevent future infection from exposures to hepatitis.

Polycythemia

Donors diagnosed with polycythemia are deferred.

Tattoos

Donor is eligible if tatooing is performed in a physician’s office using sterile, single-use, disposable needles. Otherwise, donor is deferred for 12 months.

Travel

The two most common reasons for travel deferrals are malaria and Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease.

• Donor is deferred for 12 months after travel to a malarial-endemic area.
  • Donor is deferred three years after departure from a malarial-endemic area if he/she is an immigrant, refugee, citizen or resident of the area. Residents are defined as having lived in an area for more than five years.
  • If you have traveled to any of the following areas in the past 12 months, you may be temporarily or permanently ineligible to donate blood.

travel_table_073107.gif

vCJD Variant Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease (human form of mad cow disease)

There are currently no licensed tests to detect vCJD and there is not enough information to know if vCJD can be transmitted through blood. Therefore, donors who meet the following criteria are permanently deferred regardless of whether or not they consume beef:

• Donor is deferred when the cumulative time spent in the United Kingdom during 1980-1996 adds up to three months because the majority of mad cow disease cases have occurred in the U.K.
  • The donor is deferred when the cumulative time spent on the military bases in the risk countries during 1980-1996 adds up to six months. Approximately 35 percent of the beef eaten on certain U.S. military bases located throughout Europe between 1980 and 1996 was imported from the U.K.
  • The donor is deferred when the cumulative time spent in Europe adds up to five years. Most European countries have reported cases of Mad Cow disease.

Babesiosis

Donors with babesiosis are deferred for life because there is a potential for disease transmission through blood transfusion. Babesiosis is a rare parasitic disease transmitted to humans by infected deer ticks carried mainly by deer and mice that typically occurs in coastal areas in the northeast United States. The parasite attacks the red blood cells and causes anemia.

Blood Transfusion

Donor is deferred for 12 months after a transfusion of blood or blood products.

Cancer

Donor is eligible with a history of basal cell or squamous cell skin cancer or carcinoma-in-situ (any size). All other forms of cancer will be assessed at time of donation. Lymphoma and leukemia are currently permanent deferrals.

Chagas Disease

Donors with Chagas disease are deferred for life because there is a potential for disease transmission through blood transfusion. Chagas disease is caused by a parasite transmitted by the bite of the Reduviid Bug. These bugs live in cracks and holes of substandard housing, primarily in South and Central America. The symptoms of Chagas disease most commonly develop 10-20 years after one becomes infected.

and of course, HIV or AIDS will get you a permanent deferral. Rumors have it that carrying a pistol will get you a deferral too. bastards.

and no, she did not tell me not to come back armed, just that they were not allowed here and they were waiting on the signs. sounds to me like it was left open for some reason. i have a pair of tactical pants so i guess i will wear them and carry it in the side pocket and no one will be any wiser.

what really pissed me off later was i wrote out a 3 page email to the corporate headquarters only to find that when i hit enter, the email system does not work and there are no addresses given for anyone. i would have to waste god knows how long on the phone.

edit: now the site has been redone and email addresses are showing. time to send off my book.

Edited by cadillacdude1975
Like an IV needle? Or bigger?

I did it a few times several years ago. I'm pretty sure the needle was considerably bigger than an IV needle, but I could be wrong.

To me, the worst part was when they put the blood back in, after having separated it from the plasma via centrifuge. It comes back feeling very cold, and there's a metallic taste that creeps up the back of your throat, which is caused by an anti-coagulant they use.

Guest archerdr1

I used to give regularly. It was how I had spending money during college. I go back every now and again. The needle is about the size that they use when you donate blood. You can bring a blanket and whatever else you need. For those afraid of the needle, I guess you can bring your tickle me elmo, or whatever other stuffed animal that might protect you. Just make sure to get a person that is good at it to stick you. I have had one or two that missed the vein or went through it. Left one ugly bruise on that arm and then had the nerve to ask me to hold out the other arm! I replied, NOPE, I will just take the money and come back sometime when you aren't here!

Guest Grout

The needle don't hurt near as bad as the finger prick in the pre screen.They have these spring loaded needles that knock a hole in your finger.I had one that hurt really bad and the next day my finger tip was bruised.:up:

The needle don't hurt near as bad as the finger prick in the pre screen.They have these spring loaded needles that knock a hole in your finger.I had one that hurt really bad and the next day my finger tip was bruised.:up:

AMEN to that.

The place I used to go to didn't use the spring loaded needle...the just used a handheld lance...most were good at using it....a few felt like they were cutting your finger tip off...lol

As far as the needle to take the plasma goes....the always used the same spot on the same arm for me....got sort of scar tissue with no feeling in it in that small spot, so after awhile didn't feel a thing.

my first email to them.

i hope you are the correct person for me to send this email, but if you are not, please forward it to the proper person for me ok?

first off, i am a donor at your Riverside Drive location in Chattanooga, TN. i recently went back to selling blood plasma as everyone is aware, the economy has been rough on everyone. i dont mind doing it, and the extra money helps.

BUT i ran in to a problem with your Riverside Drive location this past sunday. I am unsure of what state you reside in, but in Tennessee, as most other states, we have a handgun carry permit. the handgun permit grants the holder the right to carry a loaded firearm OPENLY OR CONCEALED anywhere but cars, state parks and courthouses and post offices.

i was finished donating on the 29th, and as i got out of my chair, my shirt pulled up when i put my jacket on, and exposed the butt of my holstered pistl for merely a fraction of a second. well, another donor saw it and told one of the floor employees who then got the center manager (Sandy is her name i believe) and as i was walking out the front door, she asked me if she could have a moment of my time to which i smiled and said sure.

we stepped outside away from other patrons and she asked me if i was carrying a firearm. now, since i was out of the building and not on ZLB Property, i was under no legal requirement to answer any of her questions reguarding me carrying a firearm. i chose to have a short discussion with her anyways to be polite.

when i answered yes, she states that they (handguns) are not allowed here. i instantly asked her where the sign was that is required by Tennessee law. she said the signs were on order but were not there yet. i told her that until the signs were posted, unless she intended to search everyone that came in to that plasma center (which she nor anyone can do legally) it is legal to carry UNLESS the handgun has been physically seen and the holder has been asked to leave and not come back. if that happens, then the handgun owner can be charged with criminal trespass.

let me give you a small insight as to why i took the steps to be legal to carry a handgun for self defense. i used to be an assistant manager for a very well known southern fast food chain. we had closed for the night, the store was locked and the lights were out. my employees were finishing up the cleaning tasks for the night as i was in the back making my bank deposit and changing out the bills that were used for change over the shift. i probably had $2000 out on the desk. so you sit and ask youself, well he should be safe in a locked building with no one in there but other employess and the only exit is behind me, so no one can open the door unless i get up to let them out.

i am sitting there doing my thing and one of the employees told me that there was a car a the window. we had been closed for 30 minutes or more, so i told the employee to say we were closed. we had a policy never to open the window for safety reasons. so after the employee mouthed we are closed and walked off, i hear something hitting the building. the employee screams out oh my god he is punching the window!! and i am sitting there with all this money laying out. the person was drunk or on drugs, and was enraged that we were closed and proceeded to strike my drive up window 5 or 6 times, completely shattering the 1/2 inch thick glass. as soon as the employee screamed, i dialed 911 and reported it as an attempted burglary in progress. it took the police 15 minutes to get there. 15 minutes. what do you think that guy would have done if he had gotten inside my store? do you think he would have made us cook him some food then leave? i seriously do not think that would have been the end of that situation. the police took so long ot get there, they were unable to catch him. i decided right then that i was not going to allow this to happen to me again, and promptly went and purchased a handgun and took the state required courses to carry it legally. i decided i was not going to be put in harms way over some drug addict needing cash to fund a habit. my life is worth more than that, as is yours.

fast forward to about 2 weeks ago. Chattanooga TN has two locations of ZLB facilities. the Rossville Blvd. location was the scene of a violent attack in the parking lot. here is the link off the local NBC news affiliate's website. please take time to read.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/<wbr>story.asp?s=10033569

in TN, you must be 21 to purchase a handgun. you can not have ANY felony and you can not get a permit to carry one without going through the ATF, TBI and FBI background checks, and the local sheriff is notified of someone in his county getting a permit as well. take note that this kid that did the shooting was 18, illegally carrying a firearm, and was already a convicted felon. now do you seriously think that this 18 year old thug is going to care if you have signs posted to stop legally armed citizens from being able to defend themselves? take time to read about Suzanna Hupp. look her up on youtube. her parents were murdered right in front of her in Lubbock Texas in the early '90s because Texas had a law that kept her from legally carrying her handgun in the place where she took her parents for thier 50th wedding anniversary. Suzanna, being a law abiding sitizen, knew she had to leave her gun in the car, did so. 10 minutes later, a crazed gunman rammed his truck in the front entrance, got out and started killing innocent people including her parents.

what about if teachers were able to legally carry firearms? do you think all those kids in Columbine would have been murdered? what about Virginia Tech? the list goes on and on abotu shootings in Gun Free Zones, and by the center manager saying signs are on the way, you are turning your place in to a gun free zone. please do not make that mistake. do the research on Google. handgun permit holders are among the most elite and law abiding citizens right up there with law enforcement officers. we stay out of trouble, as almost anything can get the gun permit revoked. there has never been any permit holder decide to go "postal" and kill everyone around them. it just does not happen. i implore you to not put the signs up, and the Tennessee Gun Owners forum has already discissed this. there are a couple thousand members and a lot of them donate at one of your Tennessee facilities, and yes, since they are not posted, they carry because of events just like the one in the parking lot in Rossville.

please also note that i am not mad over this situation, i just am forced to leave my handgun in my car and hope that someone does not break in to my vehicle, stealing my gun, and robbing the patrons because the Chattanooga locations pay in cash. the instant the signs are posted that prevent legal carry, you wont have to worry about the gun permit holders carrying, yopu will just have to worry about the thugs and felons that are going to carry a loaded gun no matter what. think about that while you are going to bed tonight.

thanks for your time, and please respond to this address on your thoughts and or questions.