• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it pretty :)

mosin.jpg

Wasnt that one, Stalins hunting gun, has his name engraved on the buttplate and even Hitler put his name on it, in the early days they were hunting buddies!:rolleyes:

Guest Jcochran88

I have one but havent shot it yet. I like to get it out put the bayonett on it and just walk around the house with it! Wife just loves that!

I love those mosins, have a 91/30,m-44 and a 91/59 which is mint.

The safetys on these are all but useless, the russians never used them from what i read, with heavy ball the most i can handle with the 44 is 5 shots.

Its a shame on how prices have gone up since last yr. then $119.avg now about $159. avg. even the slings have doubled in price along with pouches,

which in a lot of cases are not included with the guns any more!

Guest sling
If you are going to go the mosin route, go with a finnish M39. Really nice, and accurate rifles. www.gunsnammo.com has them for $200-300, many of them are C&R so you can have them shipped to your front door.

If he has a C&R License. :-P

Lets not mislead the man. :popcorn:

These Mosins do require a C&R if you order one, also have the fill out all forms if you buy one!:popcorn:

Really, even if the receivers are pre 1898(??). My understanding is that those don't even require a C&R. My experience with gunsnammo bears that out too. I got this one shipped right to my door with 0 paperwork, just a fax of my drivers license. It is one of my favorite guns.

mosin1.jpg

I do not have any type of licence and do not claim to be an expert on this,

there are certain pre 1898 guns which are considered antiques and will be shipped to your door, these few are always listed as such in the ads.

If your Mosin is pre 1898 that might be the case, but i have never seen one that old, most are from the 40s and up.

If yours is pre 1898 it might be a rare one, i would try to find out as much info as poss. on it!

I do not have any type of licence and do not claim to be an expert on this,

there are certain pre 1898 guns which are considered antiques and will be shipped to your door, these few are always listed as such in the ads.

If your Mosin is pre 1898 that might be the case, but i have never seen one that old, most are from the 40s and up.

If yours is pre 1898 it might be a rare one, i would try to find out as much info as poss. on it!

I'm pretty sure it is only the receiver on these M39s that is pre 1898, not the whole rifle. Apparently, that is enough to qualify them. Mine is a 1944 with a pre-98 hex receiver.

Here is a wiki quote (sorry, I hate to quote wikipedia):

"Since it the date of manufacture of the receiver that is relevant to identifying a gun as antique or modern, it is possible to have a weapon with date marks post-1898 but still be considered an antique gun. For example, some Finnish M39 (Ukko-Pekka) Mosin-Nagant rifles with hexagonal profile receivers are considered antique because some were built on receivers dated pre-1899, even though the rifle itself was adopted in 1939. Many of these were assembled using a mix of old round and "hex" receivers from then on, until as late as the 1970s. To be identified as pre-1899, however, Mosin-Nagants that have been re-barreled must be disassembled to see the date stamps on their tangs.[11]. A similar situation exists for 7.65mm Mauser Turkish Model 1893 bolt actions, most of which were re-arsenalized at the Ankara arsenal in the 1940s, and rechambered to 8x57mm Mauser. Despite this re-arsenalization and rechambering, they are still considered antiques under US law."

I never looked at it like that but makes sense. When i buy one i only buy 100% matching, since i never cared for parts guns.

Thanks for clearing this up!:)

Well, these finnish rifles are considered matching. Mine has all matching numbers. The Finns just built up the "new" rifles around old receivers, often captured Russian ones, but mostly new old stock receivers, hence the pre 1889 parts on many of them. The Finnish mosins are generally much better, and much more consistent that their russian counterparts. Mine is certainly dead nuts accurate. They generally are more collectable, better made, more accurate, but also cost at least twice what a Russian mosin does. I also much prefer the pistol grip.

Sorry if I got this tread a little off track.

Did not mean to offend you, if i did! I knew the Finns are the most exp. as well as alledgedly the best, had never really thought about them using older rec. and making new guns, but it makes sense.

I knew they improved on all captured russian ones!:)