Did Somali pirates just screw up badly...?

Guest GT_Rat

Guest bkelm18
I'm interested in the technics used by the unarmed crew members who can overtake armed pirates.

For so few pirates and such a large vessel, it wouldn't be hard for a couple crewmen to corner a pirate and bash his brains in with a wrench or something. Take his gun, rinse, repeat, and enjoy.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TEBISH

Somebody in the administration should read the history of the Barbary Wars and put the plan back in place. (Maybe Kal Penn can do it in between suggesting policy and conducting bong hits)

#1 - Bombardment of Somali ports

#2 - Marines taking over Somali coastal towns, removing leadership, putting back in US friendly leadership

It wouldn't be PC but history proves it would make this piracy problem (and the pirates themselves) cease to exist.

It wouldn't be PC but history proves it would make this piracy problem (and the pirates themselves) cease to exist.

Indeed. Sadly, the modern world (including many Americans) don't have the stomach for doing what's needed. If we responded to each and every attack on a ship with total annihilation of the pirates, no matter what, they would find another way to get by...

Guest db99wj
Were the pirates armed?
Not really sure! But I would probably just poke him in his other eye,then when he cant see me,Id take his wooden leg and make him tumble over! :up:199_pirate_wearing_an_eye_patch_and_hat.gif

Damnit, I was going to make a similar joke!:lol:

Todd five.

Crimson - who is "they"?

The would-be pirates. if they knew that they would be killed without hesitation, they'd look elsewhere for 'employment'.

Kinda goes back to 'no negotiating with terrorists'...

Guest TEBISH

If they live through their first pirate job they can go find employment rebuilding their boats and ports which were destroyed in the naval bombardment (Naval gunfire as stimulus job creation - what an idea). Another good job for them would be doing a reality TV show on the world's newest "Deadliest Catch".

The overall jest of the Barbary Wars was to kill the perpetrators, destroy their equipment, and deny the safe haven - which is now Somalia.

Guest db99wj
The would-be pirates. if they knew that they would be killed without hesitation, they'd look elsewhere for 'employment'.

Kinda goes back to 'no negotiating with terrorists'...

I'm listening to talk radio and Ben Feruguson said the White House just announced that they are sending a FBI negotiator to the scene to negotiate the release of the hostages. He is bringing up the point that our policy has always been, we don't negotiate with terrorist and hostage takers, but we (Obama) has caved in on his first test and is failing miserably. That this is a test from these terrorist to see how strong we are and we are proving to be like the EU, the UN a bunch of wuss's.:lol:

I'm listening to talk radio and Ben Feruguson said the White House just announced that they are sending a FBI negotiator to the scene to negotiate the release of the hostages. He is bringing up the point that our policy has always been, we don't negotiate with terrorist and hostage takers, but we (Obama) has caved in on his first test and is failing miserably. That this is a test from these terrorist to see how strong we are and we are proving to be like the EU, the UN a bunch of wuss's.:D

Can't say I disagree with him.

Personally I think the only logical course of action was an ultimatum: "Release the hostage, or we send our guys in to release him for you".

Guest justme
I'm listening to talk radio and Ben Feruguson said the White House just announced that they are sending a FBI negotiator to the scene to negotiate the release of the hostages. He is bringing up the point that our policy has always been, we don't negotiate with terrorist and hostage takers, but we (Obama) has caved in on his first test and is failing miserably. That this is a test from these terrorist to see how strong we are and we are proving to be like the EU, the UN a bunch of wuss's.:popcorn:

talk them to death....sounds about right for this administration.

if by chance the negotiator does manage to talk the captain free--as soon as he is out of the way I think the navy should sink their little run down motor boat..

Guest justme

Now the Philippines wants the US to consult the "UN" before any actions are taken....

FOXNews.com - U.S. Navy Blocks Ships Coming to Aid Pirates in Standoff - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

it is a little less than midway into the story.

I absolutely despise that pathetic, totally useless and castrated organization that sits in NYC and sucks this country dry like some blood sucking leach and calls itself the "un"...

Now the Philippines wants the US to consult the "UN" before any actions are taken....

FOXNews.com - U.S. Navy Blocks Ships Coming to Aid Pirates in Standoff - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

it is a little less than midway into the story.

I absolutely despise that pathetic, totally useless and castrated organization that sits in NYC and sucks this country dry like some blood sucking leach and calls itself the "un"...

Told you that is what the OBAMA would want to do.

Guest mustangdave
Trolling for pirates isn't all that fun, believe me.

The problem the merchies have is that they aren't allowed to carry serious firepower. A .50 is just the thing for problems like this, but you need at least 2 aboard, and 6 would be better.

The problems the Navy has are legion. Too few ships. Helo's don't have the range to respond very far. No spare carriers to put in the area. Deadly force is only authorised if the pirates are shooting at you at the time - if they surrender, they face a few weeks of beans and rice aboard a naval vessel, and are then released. They know this, and don't put up a fight once they're under the guns. Kenya reneged on their agreement to prosecute them, and of course we can't take 'em to Gitmo, that'd be cruel.

Our NCA doesn't have the balls to issue the orders needed - shoot on sight.

TDR - the pirates are armed. Generally with light weapons, typically an AK per, and one or two RPG's per boat.

To piggie back on Mark@Sea, I posted some info up for all the non swabbies on the forum yesterday (that got lost due to derver issues) There are a couple of hinderances 1. Admiralty Law which 'governs' maritime interactions between civilian and military vessels...and...2. The UN Treaty of the SEAS...which among other things sets up what/where is international waters. The Navy, just like our ground forces in Azcrakistan have to follow very strict ROE(rules of engagement). Now since THE ONE has deemed this a law enforcement matter and sent in the FBI...the NAVY is now in a support roll...unless

Edited by mustangdave
please DELETE this
Guest mustangdave
Trolling for pirates isn't all that fun, believe me.

The problem the merchies have is that they aren't allowed to carry serious firepower. A .50 is just the thing for problems like this, but you need at least 2 aboard, and 6 would be better.

The problems the Navy has are legion. Too few ships. Helo's don't have the range to respond very far. No spare carriers to put in the area. Deadly force is only authorised if the pirates are shooting at you at the time - if they surrender, they face a few weeks of beans and rice aboard a naval vessel, and are then released. They know this, and don't put up a fight once they're under the guns. Kenya reneged on their agreement to prosecute them, and of course we can't take 'em to Gitmo, that'd be cruel.

Our NCA doesn't have the balls to issue the orders needed - shoot on sight.

TDR - the pirates are armed. Generally with light weapons, typically an AK per, and one or two RPG's per boat.

To piggie back on Mark@Sea, I posted some info up for all the non swabbies on the forum yesterday (that got lost due to derver issues) There are a couple of hinderances 1. Admiralty Law which 'governs' maritime interactions between civilian and military vessels...and...2. The UN Treaty of the SEAS...which among other things sets up what/where is international waters. The Navy, just like our ground forces in Azcrakistan have to follow very strict ROE(rules of engagement). Now since THE ONE has deemed this a law enforcement matter and sent in the FBI...the NAVY is now in a support roll...unless the situation on the "ground has changes significantly.