Did Somali pirates just screw up badly...?

Guest GT_Rat

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest justme
Link

With the other ships flagged in other countries we had no authority to retake those ships. This one being US flagged we would have the authority to "recover" it by whatever means we chose...

Do you really think this administration is going to be brave enough to order a special operation using SEALs, Force Recon, or Delta Force to retake a tanker? This administration is too busy worrying about how to take away our rights--I would be really surprised if they have enough gumption to actually order the use of force against those pirates...

If the military does get the chance take those pirates I think they should have a trial on the battle group flagship, charge them with piracy and then hang them from the yardarm or just stand them up and let the Marines shoot them and then throw their bodies overboard for the sharks....that is assuming of course any pirates ACTUALLY managed to get the opportunity to surrender. Piracy used to be an offense that could get you hung, now piracy is just another form of big business, my how the times have changed.

BUT I don't see the US retaking that vessel--because I don't think the WH has the wherewithal to do that...I could be wrong of course.

I thought that there were a bunch of security contractors working over thIere patroling the coast. I know that if I had a multi-million dollar ship hauling millions of dollars worth of product you could bet your sweet ass that I would have security contractors working for me.

-Jason G

I thought that there were a bunch of security contractors working over thIere patroling the coast. I know that if I had a multi-million dollar ship hauling millions of dollars worth of product you could bet your sweet ass that I would have security contractors working for me.

-Jason G

I would think there would be, but I've never actually heard any reports of any freight companies hiring any security contractors. Like I said in an earlier post, seems like it could be a burgeoning area of their industry.

Guest AmericanWorkMule

If these shipping companies can afford to pay a million dollar ransom why can't they afford to have armed guards on their ships?

If these shipping companies can afford to pay a million dollar ransom why can't they afford to have armed guards on their ships?

I was told once that most ports won't allow commercial ships to enter with firearms on board. I'm not positive that's true, but it would explain why none of the targeted ships ever seem to be armed.

Guest canynracer

According to the fox news report,

FOXNews.com - Clinton Seeks End to 'Scourge of Piracy' as U.S. Navy Races to Hijacked American Ship - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

"All the crew members are trained in security detail in how to deal with piracy," Maersk CEO John Reinhart told reporters. "As merchant vessels we do not carry arms. We have ways to push back, but we do not carry arms."

Guest mustangdave

Might be time to put some Coast Gaurdsmen on US flagged merchant ships....time to repel boarders me hardies...Arrrrr

Might be time to put some Coast Gaurdsmen on US flagged merchant ships....time to repel boarders me hardies...Arrrrr

Get a big TGO boat. Nothin' like a bunch of pissed of southerners flyin' ole Dixie, blasting Sweet Home Alabama, and laying down enough suppressive fire to make the Marines whistle in approval.

Get a big TGO boat. Nothin' like a bunch of pissed of southerners flyin' ole Dixie, blasting Sweet Home Alabama, and laying down enough suppressive fire to make the Marines whistle in approval.

Amen, but we couldn't find enough ammo to put up a good fight.

Trolling for pirates isn't all that fun, believe me.

The problem the merchies have is that they aren't allowed to carry serious firepower. A .50 is just the thing for problems like this, but you need at least 2 aboard, and 6 would be better.

The problems the Navy has are legion. Too few ships. Helo's don't have the range to respond very far. No spare carriers to put in the area. Deadly force is only authorised if the pirates are shooting at you at the time - if they surrender, they face a few weeks of beans and rice aboard a naval vessel, and are then released. They know this, and don't put up a fight once they're under the guns. Kenya reneged on their agreement to prosecute them, and of course we can't take 'em to Gitmo, that'd be cruel.

Our NCA doesn't have the balls to issue the orders needed - shoot on sight.

TDR - the pirates are armed. Generally with light weapons, typically an AK per, and one or two RPG's per boat.

Edited by Mark@Sea
Guest justme
Once again it looks like the Americans are the only ones to stand up to this and put an end to it.

You can say that with confidence when the ship is retaken, the captain freed and the pirates tossed overboard to the sharks with no money whatsoever paid in ransom....

Just because a battleship or destroyer is on scene does not mean this administration has the wherewithal to order the attack, nor does it mean the administration has the backbone to launch a special operations team to recover the captain and eliminate--err capture the pirates.

Guest justme
I'm interested in the technics used by the unarmed crew members who can overtake armed pirates.

all it takes is for one of the pirates to not be paying attention, and a "victim" who has some idea how to fight...

maybe they were stupid pirates?

So...what does Obama have to do with any of this? U.S. flagged ship accosted by pirates. Said pirates repeled by unarmed American crew. Took captain hostage. Our Navy responds.

"pirates" is p.c. speak for islamic jihadists (aka 'terrorists')

just because obamma says that there are no more terrorists anymore doesn't make it so

besides, he has given them the secret handshake that 'everything is cool', wink, wink, with his bowing to them this week

Jimmy Carter Jr.

he's going to take their :poop: and they know they don't have a thing to worry about as far as retaliation

I'm interested in the technics used by the unarmed crew members who can overtake armed pirates.

Not really sure! But I would probably just poke him in his other eye,then when he cant see me,Id take his wooden leg and make him tumble over! :poop:199_pirate_wearing_an_eye_patch_and_hat.gif