Why haven't you got a permit yet?

Guest db99wj

Guest db99wj

This is an open question to anyone that waited or is still waiting.

There are members on here that have been members for quite awhile that do not have a permit. My question is why?

Some members waited quite awhile before they got them.

I understand financial constraints and age issues for some younger guys but what other reasons.

Me, I had always had an interest in guns, from a kid, hunted, in the military, and owned guns as an adult. My dad carried for years, before there was a permit system, he got permission from the sheriff. I knew my brother in law had a permit, but I never really thought about it, just was going along NOT THINKING. A couple of years ago, something happened, I became very aware of the random crime going on here in Memphis and everywhere. I decided that I wanted to get a new gun for the house. Talked with the BIL about the permit class, saved some money, finished my class a month after I got my gun, couple of months later, had my permit. Can't believe I went so long without it. Today I don't leave home without it!

This might be too private and you rather not answer and that is fine. Might be that some don't want to or didn't know you could select the permit part where the icon shows up.

Just curious.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had always enjoyed shooting and hunting when I was young. As I got older I really didn't care for the hunting anymore so kinda got out of shooting.

When they opened Gunney's ( indoor range) in Maryville I decided to go and shoot. I had a ball. So at 58 years old I took the class and got my HCP. Now I shoot weekly and am really enjoying the sport.

It really boils down to having a place to shoot for me. Without the availability of this range I probably still would not have got back into it. Better late than never....

I got my permit this year at 29. Didn't buy my first gun until late last year. I didn't grow up around guns and didn't join the military. My dad didn't hunt and only owned a 2 guns that I am aware of and he didn't have them very long at all. So I never thought about it much. Getting a gun had crossed my mind from time to time, but I always had something else that took priority over it. I guess politics drew me into getting guns and a permit. I used to never keep up with what was going on in the world as much as I should have been, until recently. I have been trying to keep up with what is going on more and getting more active with it and it has grown from there. Getting my permit was just to add 1 more to the list. I never had any intention on carrying, I have never had an experience where I thought something bad was going to happen to me. About 5 years ago, my home was broken into while I was at work, when I came home the back door was busted open. But it never crossed my mind that something bad might happen to me. My parents didn't start locking thier doors during the day until the past couple years. The front door was always unlocked, even when they weren't home, they would lock the door before they went to bed.

But after getting the permit, I thought if I ever need a gun and it's sitting at home I am going to feel like an idiot.

It really boils down to having a place to shoot for me. Without the availability of this range I probably still would not have got back into it. Better late than never....

+1. My story is much the same. Spent some time in several locales where the HCP just wasn't an option. I was introduced to a local range and really enjoyed myself. Gave me an excuse to get back into the sport. The way things are it looks like my timing was pretty good. :poop:

I've always had guns. I was in the military. I've owned anything from an AK, SKS, mossberg shotgun, all kinds of pistols, bolt actions, 22 plinkers, and even a member at a range years ago, so I'm no stranger to owning and using them.

I'll be honest, about 6-7 years back, I saw a guy in a restaurant carrying. Not sure if he had a permit or not, and it made me feel a bit uneasy, but I didn't go running out of the store or make a scene.

I guess over the years after seeing the way things are going with this country and doing a little research about the laws I finally took the course.

The main event that took me over the edge was the Shannon Christian kidnapping in Knoxville.

me personally, i have been simply waiting on the age requirement (which i think is BS anyways) i am turning 21 the first part of June and took my HCP course last weekend, in preparation for it, i will send in my paperwork the week i turn 21 so i can get it back as soon as possible, there have been many times here in manchester/tullahoma and especially when travelling to murfreesboro and nashville that i REALLY wish i could have legally had my gun with me. however i will say that if i had to go somewhere and had a strong feeling that i might need it, i took it anyway. legal or not im gonna go home at the end of the day.

I got mine back when they first started years ago. Think I have renewed mine 3 times now. I always wondered why people in my family didn't want one. Even though I'm not the oldest on here I feel like a ol timer as far as my HCP goes.

I was taught to be afraid of guns...I own a business and was broken into on three occasions....Decide I'd had enough....Took the class and got my HCP....

I spent many nights at the business but never had another problem...installed alarm system and video recorders.....Carry every day now.

I'm in the same boat as Db. I grew up around guns, joined the military, always wanted to work in military/law enforcement type work. I turned 21 and bought a handgun, took the class a few months later.

I hope to God I never use it, but I will NEVER be a victim. If someone/thing gets the best of me so be it, but I will not allow myself to graze through life and not take every available opportunity to protect myself and my family if the need ever arises.

Guest tadams

My intent for purchasing my first gun, ever, was two sided:

1. For personal protection inside the home

2. For obtaining training and, eventually, getting my carry permit once I felt comfortable using a handgun. (had been a few years since I had handled one)

It was approximately 6 months after the purchase of my first handgun that I started looking for a reputable class, which also brought me to the use of this forum.

Why would someone have the intent to be armed, but not go armed, is beyond me. The best analogy I can think of is that seems just like buying a lawnmower and then paying someone else to come mow your yard. Why bother? I understand, now more than ever, why a lot of folks are purchasing a handgun for "bedside protection". I don't grasp why, then, that same person doesn't value their own life enough to also use their rights to protect their own life OUTside the home. I would assume it boils down to a "convenience" issue; perhaps a comfort issue.

I can understand that some persons may feel too uncomfortable with shooting another human for personal/ religious reasons and may choose to own a firearm for sporting reasons only. They may only enjoy shooting at a paper target. To me, that's perfectly fine. But, if you're buying a firearm with the intent to use it, at any time, for self-protection then you should feel completely justified in the use of that firearm everywhere and not just stuffed in your nightstand.

The main objective of a handgun is, and has always been, to defend yourself until the threat is stopped or just long enough to retreat to the availability of a rifle or safe location. To me, in modern times of grocery stores and convenience marts, indoor plumbing, and electricity self-defense by use of something as agile as a handgun seems like it should be the number one reason for owning any firearm, period! :P

I grew up in a very liberal family that would never allow firearms in the house. In fact, I didn't even have a BB gun til I turned 17, the same day I joined the Army. Always been interested in guns, shot many of my friends guns over the years.

Learned about HCPs when I was 19. Started saving the same day, and when I turned 21 I went out and bought my first handgun. I couldn't get my HCP since I was AD in WI. But I did spend a retarded amount of time with Small Arms Readiness, training, shooting, and more training. I qualified on the Army Combat Pistol Qual course with a 30 out of 30. Then turned around and started training with some CID and Swat guys for about 6 months. And took three different pistol quals, from the standard MP pistol qual to an advanced SWAT CQB and long distance pistol quals.

Got home and applied for and received my HCP. Now I carry everywhere.

Didn't grow up around guns / wasn't even allowed to shoot one. Now that I am on my own I have gotten a few guns, but I didn't own a handgun until this week.

Reason for no HCP, well I didn't own a handgun, and now currently it is the money. I am saving up right now and when I can I will get it. Hopefully I'll have plenty of practice in by then and be confident enough to carry it. (of course, if I didn't spend so much on ammo I could probably save for it faster.)

Guest Galba
me personally, i have been simply waiting on the age requirement (which i think is BS anyways) i am turning 21 the first part of June and took my HCP course last weekend, in preparation for it, i will send in my paperwork the week i turn 21 so i can get it back as soon as possible, there have been many times here in manchester/tullahoma and especially when travelling to murfreesboro and nashville that i REALLY wish i could have legally had my gun with me. however i will say that if i had to go somewhere and had a strong feeling that i might need it, i took it anyway. legal or not im gonna go home at the end of the day.

If you have a strong feeling that you might need a gun somewhere, it's best to just not go.

Guest kingtone
If you have a strong feeling that you might need a gun somewhere, it's best to just not go.

+1

Even if you have a gun and you have a strong feeling you might need it.. even better reason not to go.

I do NOT applaud ANYONE for carrying a gun outside their residence when they don't have their permit. Regardless of 'legal intentions' or not. It is this sort behavior that is making it hard for the rest of the law abiding citizens.

I do applaud responsible ownership and obtaining a permit.

Why would someone have the intent to be armed, but not go armed, is beyond me. The best analogy I can think of is that seems just like buying a lawnmower and then paying someone else to come mow your yard. Why bother? I understand, now more than ever, why a lot of folks are purchasing a handgun for "bedside protection". I don't grasp why, then, that same person doesn't value their own life enough to also use their rights to protect their own life OUTside the home. I would assume it boils down to a "convenience" issue; perhaps a comfort issue.

My wife thinks like this. She popped up a few months ago with the thought that we needed to get permits. Caught me completely out of the blue. I think it was prompted by some friends that recently got theirs and the fear that once Obama took office that you wouldn't be able to get a CCW permit anymore. After talking to her about it I came to the realization that we are on completely different pages on this matter. Her thought was get the permit "just to have" and I guess carry "when she needed it". I told her that made no sense and that if I had a permit it was a 24/7 commitment. In the end we agreed to disagree and let it go.

Anyway, I don't have a CCW permit myself. I can see having one at some point but it's just a commitment I'm not ready to make right at this moment. Several reasons but I type too slow to get in to all of them. :lol:

Guest crotalus01

I waited because when the permits were first introduced the requirements were stupid - no carry anywhere alcohol was sold, you could only carry the gun you qualified with, etc. Basically the places you could legally carry with the permit were so few and far between it might as well have still been illegal.

Guest Galba
I waited because when the permits were first introduced the requirements were stupid - no carry anywhere alcohol was sold, you could only carry the gun you qualified with, etc. Basically the places you could legally carry with the permit were so few and far between it might as well have still been illegal.

I don't think it was ever the case that you could only carry the gun you qualified with. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.