• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

⚠️ Safety Reminder for Buyers and Sellers ⚠️

This is an automatic reply meant to protect you as a buyer and a seller on TGO.

• Use the Buyer/Seller Feedback feature to research who you are dealing with.   Please come back and leave feedback for each other after the transaction is complete.  Your experience will help others.

• Never agree to use an electronic form of payment to buy or sell a gun!  None of the electronic payment services will protect you against fraud in a firearms transaction.  They all have terms of service FORBIDDING the use of their services to buy/sell guns.  DON'T DO IT.

• Be very wary of anyone who insists on brokering a deal in private or outside of TGO.  Scammers almost always prefer to operate out of the public eye.

The complete Trading Post Rules and also some more helpful suggestions can be found by clicking this link.  Everyone should read them at least once!

~~~ This was an automatic reply ~~~

Danzig was a German arsenal who manufactured 98 Mauser rifles.

This appears to be a sporterized Mauser of various parts. If it shoots good, that is a great price in my opinion.

Years ago, surplus Mausers flooded this country and were sold for very low prices. Everybody and his brother bought them and made them into customized deer rifles.

Depending on the quality of work and who did it, some of them today command very high prices. I do not believe this is one of those, but is probably a very serviceable hunting rifle in it’s on right.

I find the front sight rather interesting, and wonder if there are any markings on it.

Edited by gregintenn

Definitely a WW1 Mauser 98 that was reworked in 1920. Provenance after is harder to trace, especially since the barrel and stock aren't original. You'd likely want to check under the barrel (after removing the stock) if there's any other markings to figure out more about who did the sporterization or when, but it's hard to say. Lots of these were converted for civilian use in the interwar period, and eventually made their way to the US where they were further sporterized. Some stayed in military or police service. No way to tell for certain. It's a very pretty rifle and has some neat history behind it. I bet it would be a great shooter, .270 remains an absolutely fantastic cartridge and a decently cared for 98 action should be smooth and reliable.

43 minutes ago, ShaunM said:

Have you shot it for accuracy? 

I have not. This came from my late father and all I have to go on is the GB listing name, the ID itself, and not much else. Not to tell a long  sad story, I can confirm that once he had it it was never fired. I talked to the LGS that did the receiving about it, but these guns weren't his specialty.  

43 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Danzig was a German arsenal who manufactured 98 Mauser rifles.

This appears to be a sporterized Mauser of various parts. If it shoots good, that is a great price in my opinion.

Years ago, surplus Mausers flooded this country and were sold for very low prices. Everybody and his brother bought them and made them into customized deer rifles.

Depending on the quality of work and who did it, some of them today command very high prices. I do not believe this is one of those, but is probably a very serviceable hunting rifle in it’s on right.

I find the front sight rather interesting, and wonder if there are any markings on it.

I'll check the sights tomorrow and see what I can find. 

4 minutes ago, TSG said:

Definitely a WW1 Mauser 98 that was reworked in 1920. Provenance after is harder to trace, especially since the barrel and stock aren't original. You'd likely want to check under the barrel (after removing the stock) if there's any other markings to figure out more about who did the sporterization or when, but it's hard to say. Lots of these were converted for civilian use in the interwar period, and eventually made their way to the US where they were further sporterized. Some stayed in military or police service. No way to tell for certain. It's a very pretty rifle and has some neat history behind it. I bet it would be a great shooter, .270 remains an absolutely fantastic cartridge and a decently cared for 98 action should be smooth and reliable.

The action when I ran a dummy round through it was indescribably smooth. The seller that this rifle was purchased from had it listed on GB as VZ24. I even have the listing name and the listing Id, but its too old to find unfortunately.