welding classes

If you want a nice little TIG machine for occasional use get a Miller Diversion. Its a capable welder for small projects. It can run on 110vac but 220 single phase at 20 amp minimum is much better. You can weld aluminum with it, its an AC/DC machine but its a little underpowered for aluminum, helps if you preheat.  The gas regulator that comes with it sucks you would need a good flowmeter, single stage. And a tank of Argon gas. I'm not a welder by trade but I've fabricated a lot of stuff in 45 years. I think Miller is doing a $500 rebate on the Diversion right now.

If you can spring for a Syncrowave that's the ####.

2 hours ago, aknifemaker said:

If you want a nice little TIG machine for occasional use get a Miller Diversion. Its a capable welder for small projects. It can run on 110vac but 220 single phase at 20 amp minimum is much better. You can weld aluminum with it, its an AC/DC machine but its a little underpowered for aluminum, helps if you preheat.  The gas regulator that comes with it sucks you would need a good flowmeter, single stage. And a tank of Argon gas. I'm not a welder by trade but I've fabricated a lot of stuff in 45 years. I think Miller is doing a $500 rebate on the Diversion right now.

If you can spring for a Syncrowave that's the ####.

most of what i plant to weld is mild steel and i dont want to spend that much for something i will use a handful of times and then it will sit in a corner for the rest of the time, this is for hobby work only

Get yourself a used cracker box on market place or ebay like a 225amp or 250amp Lincoln . Then practice running rods on a flat piece of metal. Then when you get the hang of that you can learn to get two pieces of metal to stick together . Once you get the hang of welding things together you can then learn more about your machine and how to run different processes on it such as tig or mig and what equipment you may need to do so. Welding stick can be a fun and not so expensive hobby but once you get into lots of different processes and more and more fancy equipment to do a better job and make things easier it gets very expensive very quickly. If your goal is to weld machine parts together very precisely you are better off getting a welding shop with good equipment and experienced welders do the job for you. if you just wanting to learn welding as a hobby just start with a cracker machine until you outgrow it.

Edited by Rob White
typo
  • Like 1
On 1/10/2024 at 6:44 PM, Johnny Rotten said:

you can change your lead, gas, spool and mig weld alum, but I'm sure you know that.

Yessir, I’ve got a big spool gun for my Trailblazer and a smaller one for my Multimatic 215. I don’t get a lot of requests for aluminum repairs or projects, so I haven’t bit off on an AC TIG machine….yet. 

1 hour ago, Rob White said:

Get yourself a used cracker box on market place or ebay like a 225amp or 250amp Lincoln . Then practice running rods on a flat piece of metal. Then when you get the hang of that you can learn to get two pieces of metal to stick together . Once you get the hang of welding things together you can then learn more about your machine and how to run different processes on it such as tig or mig and what equipment you may need to do so. Welding stick can be a fun and not so expensive hobby but once you get into lots of different processes and more and more fancy equipment to do a better job and make things easier it gets very expensive very quickly. If your goal is to weld machine parts together very precisely you are better off getting a welding shop with good equipment and experienced welders do the job for you. if you just wanting to learn welding as a hobby just start with a cracker machine until you outgrow it.

this is the type of stuff i would be welding https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/CETME-C-RECEIVER-FLAT-p3996.htm

Buy an inexpensive MIG welder and just head to it

Watch a few videos pick up a few tricks and before you know it you'll be able to make decent functional welds I mean there's a lot that goes into welding anything specialty but just standard mild steel you'll be good to go it's a place to start 5 or 600 bucks and you'd be in the door with a decent welder

56 minutes ago, spdfrk70 said:

Buy an inexpensive MIG welder and just head to it

Watch a few videos pick up a few tricks and before you know it you'll be able to make decent functional welds I mean there's a lot that goes into welding anything specialty but just standard mild steel you'll be good to go it's a place to start 5 or 600 bucks and you'd be in the door with a decent welder

with or without gas? i see a bunch of migs used for decent prices on facebook market place

• Like 1

Mig with gas is better ,cleaner and easier to use .If you have a choice gas shield is the way to go

That being said I use flux core wire no gas currently

It works but clean welds are not as easy to make but 

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, spdfrk70 said:

Mig with gas is better ,cleaner and easier to use .If you have a choice gas shield is the way to go

That being said I use flux core wire no gas currently

It works but clean welds are not as easy to make but 

i dont mind clean up as i feel like it would help me be better at it a little bit if that makes sense, someone near me is selling a flux core welder and a plasma cutter for $250 i may grab that

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ironsniper1 said:

i dont mind clean up as i feel like it would help me be better at it a little bit if that makes sense, someone near me is selling a flux core welder and a plasma cutter for $250 i may grab that

My mig welder bit the dust in the midst of a recent project. I had been wanting a small 110v flux core welder for the purpose of trail repairs for my side by side. Something that I could run off of a small generator and it not take up much space. I picked up the Titanium 125 amp flux core welder from Harbor Freight. I just checked and it's currently on sale for $140. I'm extremely happy with it and feel that I got my monies worth even at the regular price. 

• Like 2

In todays climate you need to make sure you know how and when to register certain parts of a "flat" or "kit" if you are attempting a build. Certain parts have to be registered with an ffl once they reach a certain level of completion. Im not sure what you are trying to build nor what kind of functionality you are attempting but even as a hobby or for personal use you definitely need to have #### done correctly especially if you posting it all up in online forums.

Im not a legal expert on this but certain receiver parts need to be registered with an ffl at a certain point of their completion so just a fyi in case you didn't already know. 

Besides that disclaimer if you are just trying to learn how to weld thin metal then just try to stick with one process such as tig for mild steel and get good at it. Yes it will cost you some money but all hobbies do and it shouldn't  be that bad if you just stick to basics and don't get to extravagant. 

I think a lot people would wonder why someone would rather go through all that trouble to weld a few little pieces of thin metal and start to get all in their feelings and making assumptions about intentions and such. Like why just not let a welding shop weld it rather than try to tig yourself. I understand its a hobby but do you really take a chance at ruining good parts in the name of welding practice? IDK...

So if you want to learn how to tig weld thin metal together (without fancy equipment) maybe start off researching (how to tig weld on DC- ) or (how to tig weld using old 250amp Lincoln ideal arc  AC/DC) or something similar .

Anyone wanting to learn to "really weld" can do so with an old welding machine like a 250 amp Lincoln AC/DC Ideal Arc ~($300), Bottle of argon gas ~($200), a good argon regulator ~($80), scratch start tig torch setup with valve in handle ~($200), welding helmet and welding gloves. So about $800 total to start the hobby. Its really not bad considering that's all good quality items and can be used for many many other uses and can weld just about anything except aluminum unless you add a (hifreq) box... Compare that to prices of a Lincoln square wave $2400 or a miller multimatic 250amp $5000-$6000 and you realize why someone would take the $800 route. Welding supplies are bought from real welding companies such as airgas, Lincoln, miller, local welding supply house , cyberweld.... Not harbor freight!

Start with some research as I am not a welder...Im just a dude that works on boats but I hope this points you in the right direction...

8 hours ago, Rob White said:

In todays climate you need to make sure you know how and when to register certain parts of a "flat" or "kit" if you are attempting a build. Certain parts have to be registered with an ffl once they reach a certain level of completion. Im not sure what you are trying to build nor what kind of functionality you are attempting but even as a hobby or for personal use you definitely need to have #### done correctly especially if you posting it all up in online forums.

Im not a legal expert on this but certain receiver parts need to be registered with an ffl at a certain point of their completion so just a fyi in case you didn't already know. 

Besides that disclaimer if you are just trying to learn how to weld thin metal then just try to stick with one process such as tig for mild steel and get good at it. Yes it will cost you some money but all hobbies do and it shouldn't  be that bad if you just stick to basics and don't get to extravagant. 

I think a lot people would wonder why someone would rather go through all that trouble to weld a few little pieces of thin metal and start to get all in their feelings and making assumptions about intentions and such. Like why just not let a welding shop weld it rather than try to tig yourself. I understand its a hobby but do you really take a chance at ruining good parts in the name of welding practice? IDK...

So if you want to learn how to tig weld thin metal together (without fancy equipment) maybe start off researching (how to tig weld on DC- ) or (how to tig weld using old 250amp Lincoln ideal arc  AC/DC) or something similar .

Anyone wanting to learn to "really weld" can do so with an old welding machine like a 250 amp Lincoln AC/DC Ideal Arc ~($300), Bottle of argon gas ~($200), a good argon regulator ~($80), scratch start tig torch setup with valve in handle ~($200), welding helmet and welding gloves. So about $800 total to start the hobby. Its really not bad considering that's all good quality items and can be used for many many other uses and can weld just about anything except aluminum unless you add a (hifreq) box... Compare that to prices of a Lincoln square wave $2400 or a miller multimatic 250amp $5000-$6000 and you realize why someone would take the $800 route. Welding supplies are bought from real welding companies such as airgas, Lincoln, miller, local welding supply house , cyberweld.... Not harbor freight!

Start with some research as I am not a welder...Im just a dude that works on boats but I hope this points you in the right direction...

from what i have read i dont need to register or serialize a receiver or a receiver flat unless i am wanting to sell it, i dont have to register with an ffl that has never been a thing unless you live in a anti 2a state, most what i have to do is make sure it can never be made full auto which is easy, now if i were building a semi auto smg and wanted to use the same length barrel it would have had i would have to register it as an sbr other wise i just use a 16 inch or longer barrel and its fine, someone can correct me if i am wrong

Edited by ironsniper1
On 1/12/2024 at 12:43 PM, ironsniper1 said:

from what i have read i dont need to register or serialize a receiver or a receiver flat unless i am wanting to sell it, i dont have to register with an ffl that has never been a thing unless you live in a anti 2a state, most what i have to do is make sure it can never be made full auto which is easy, now if i were building a semi auto smg and wanted to use the same length barrel it would have had i would have to register it as an sbr other wise i just use a 16 inch or longer barrel and its fine, someone can correct me if i am wrong

I used to think so also,  but the way things are these days Im no longer comfortable in the belief that the government of my own country wouldn't do some shady #### to imprison me and take away my rights and guns just to Advance a political agenda.

There is always the "small writing" that you need to be weary of.

Honestly I don't know much about gun build laws and gun classifications these days as I mostly focus on game hunting. Its all just a bunch of confusing non sense to me. Sometimes you better off just paying the bribe, I mean the fee:) Just saying $50 or whatever it cost to get the paperwork may be worth it in the long run unless the whole point is not having paper and then you only good until someone with more power than you says otherwise. JMO.

This is from the ATF website:

Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use?

No, a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use. However, a license is required to manufacture firearms for sale or distribution. The law prohibits a person from assembling a non–sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as well as firearms that cannot be detected by metal detectors or x–ray machines. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o), (p) and (r); 26 U.S.C. 5822; 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

• What is this even saying? I have two college degrees and yet I can't read these statements and understand whether or not something is legal. This is confusing to me...IS an ar-15 sporting or non sporting?, is an hk91 sporting or non sporting? Is there an actual official or even un official list somewhere? Im not sure what they consider "non-sporting" and how set in stone that classification is? Is it something where the actual definition is going to keep changing? Also how far down the supply chain are they referring to when they define "import" bc every single gun in America will have more than 10 "imported" parts some point if you go far enough down the supply chain line unless they dig up the iron ore and forge the part and cut and then assemble it all in house...
20 hours ago, Rob White said:

I used to think so also,  but the way things are these days Im no longer comfortable in the belief that the government of my own country wouldn't do some shady #### to imprison me and take away my rights and guns just to Advance a political agenda.

There is always the "small writing" that you need to be weary of.

Honestly I don't know much about gun build laws and gun classifications these days as I mostly focus on game hunting. Its all just a bunch of confusing non sense to me. Sometimes you better off just paying the bribe, I mean the fee:) Just saying $50 or whatever it cost to get the paperwork may be worth it in the long run unless the whole point is not having paper and then you only good until someone with more power than you says otherwise. JMO.

This is from the ATF website:

• What is this even saying? I have two college degrees and yet I can't read these statements and understand whether or not something is legal. This is confusing to me...IS an ar-15 sporting or non sporting?, is an hk91 sporting or non sporting? Is there an actual official or even un official list somewhere? Im not sure what they consider "non-sporting" and how set in stone that classification is? Is it something where the actual definition is going to keep changing? Also how far down the supply chain are they referring to when they define "import" bc every single gun in America will have more than 10 "imported" parts some point if you go far enough down the supply chain line unless they dig up the iron ore and forge the part and cut and then assemble it all in house...

thats why you tell the atf to pound sand, they cant ban anything or make law

Ok, so they saying ATF doesn't make the law, however they will enforce it. Im not sure I totally believe they don't have influence over the law, but when you call the ATF or state police they are usually really nice dudes and pro guns and pro concealed carry and all of that. Probably even more than me:) So where is all the anti-2A and anti-gun push even coming from? Corruption ? Money? Control? 

And then the media further purposely enflames the situation by trying to drive a wedge between the ATF and whoever has the issue. It gets to be totally ridiculous and very disruptive to our society. Its seems our legal system is really struggling right now and I believe its mostly due to political corruption.

The paragraph I quoted from the ATF website was just them answering a question trying to give people their simplified version of the law. The actual law in the book is like 2 pages of (word calculus) for legal scholars so I don't know if you really feel like wasting your time with it. Like I said before "to me its not worth $50"...

The really shady part about this is the whole "importation" part. I see some mentions on some website about them not allowing people to use foreign parts kits for things like those uzis and the hks and some others, but Im not sure how true any of that is. I guess its easy enough for you to call them if you are really considering a build. AR-15s have plenty of companies in the US manufacturing parts kits, but Im not so sure about those other guns. 

I think about it as a hunter and I see bunch of legal traps set up by either federal or state lawmakers and then the ATF is setup as just one of the agencies who just watches the traps , hoping someone steps in one. (Now some states help remove those traps from harming their citizens and some states actually not only encourage the traps but set up even more traps of their own.. Lol that's just how I see man.

Im just a guy that says "hey that looks like a trap so I wouldn't step there":)