CCW in Memphis

Guest Titan Scout

Guest Titan Scout

I posted this report on the CCW forum at GetofftheX.com Thought it might be appreciated over here as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I had just pulled into Memphis after 3 hours on the road from Nashville. Checked into the hotel and then ran out for snacks to the Exxon up the street.

As I pulled in, I spotted a Memphis PD car and officer inside. I hesitated a moment because my G19 was IWB but not covered. I know what the law says, but I'm also not a heat magnet. I think it's better to avoid attention, especially with the law, when possible.

I sat there for a minute debating what to do. Do I untuck my shirt? No, I'm dressed up, that would look stupid. Should I grab a jacket? No, it's to hot for a jacket. Should I leave the gun in the car? No, this is Memphis. Although...there is a police officer in the store.

I looked hard at the door to see if there was a sign prohibiting carry. Nope, no sign.

I thought, what the hell, I'm well dressed. I'm clean cut, I have my creds, and I'm not breaking the law.

So....after a deep breath, I got out of the Buick Lucern rental car and walked in. (*By the way, that car is a sweet ride)

I waved and said hi to the officer and walked over to the snacks. I could see the officer looking my way with my peripherial vision. I then asked the clerk where the Krispy Kremes were. I had to walk past the officer with my sidearm to his side. Still no response. I paid while the officer stayed where he was when I walked in. He was 7-10 feet directly behind me. Nothing.

As I left I said goodbye to the officer. I know he saw my weapon. He smiled and said goodbye.

In my opinion, that's as good as it gets. I don't make it a habit to open carry. In fact, that was the first time in the 3 years that I've had my permit that I have.

I just found my self in a situation where I had few options and decided to see what would happen.

It turned out well. Props to the officer for playing by big boy rules.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

When I don't have a cover garmet, I put my piece in the Maxpedition Fatboy I bought at the Tactical Response Gear Store.

Like a dumbass, I forgot to transfer the pack to the rental.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On several occassions I have gone in to the Mapco with my G19 sticking out of the waist band of my pants. Stood in line in front of an officer and had nothing happen. Most, I won't say all, of the officers in this area are used to seeing citizens with guns and as long as you don't look like a punk, they probably aren't going to bother you. Glad you had a good experience, and you were very wise to keep your pistol with you going in to a shop and rob in this city. What part of town are you in?

Another person has discovered that harrassment over open-carry is exaggerated.

That went exactly as it should have!

I OC on a regular basis throughout mid-tn, and have yet to have a less-than-positive encounter with law-enforcement (not that, that would change anything).

Guest Old Chief

The Memphis policeman was probably in shock to see a legally carried holstered weapon as there are so many illegal shootings going on in the city. This is just a guess on my part.

Guest CrazyLincoln
I live in Nashville, and was visiting. The hotel was off Sycamore View, West of the Galleria.

Not my favorite part of town, but not horrible. Being from Memphis tho, I imagine the the cop was just glad he wasn't the only one carrying. I know parts of town the cops won't go at night, unless they're called.

It is still like that. The area that you are talking about definitely isn't the greatest part of town. I haven't seen to many armed robberies on the news about that area though and since the penal farm is about a mile from where you were there can be some interesting people around.

There are a few good parts of Memphis left. I don't feel the need to carry to work anymore, though I still do.

I haven't seen to many armed robberies on the news about that area though...

It's not always a good idea to make decisions about an aread of town based on what you do or don't see on the news. There are tons of armed robberies and other crimes that don't make the news.

• 2 weeks later...
My point being, I would warn you away from at least 10 other crime-ridden areas of Memphis before this one came to mind.

I understood that. My point was, someone said they only felt uncomfortable without a gun in certain parts of town.

I have never told anyone I thought they should carry a gun all the time, but I have run into many people that honestly believe there are certain parts of town where crime CAN'T happen and you could never be in danger period.

"Feeling safe" and "being safe" are not necessarily the same. That was my only point.

I understood that. My point was, someone said they only felt uncomfortable without a gun in certain parts of town.

I have never told anyone I thought they should carry a gun all the time, but I have run into many people that honestly believe there are certain parts of town where crime CAN'T happen and you could never be in danger period.

"Feeling safe" and "being safe" are not necessarily the same. That was my only point.

I said that and if you noticed, the place I feel comfortable without a gun on my person in this city is at home. That is because I know there is always one close by.

I said that and if you noticed, the place I feel comfortable without a gun on my person in this city is at home. That is because I know there is always one close by.

I did notice, but I wasn't referring specifically to you in my reply. I was referring simply to people who believe there are parts of town where there can't be crime. I didn't intend to imply that's what YOU meant.

I know that probably doesn't make any sense: I was referring to one of your statements, but not to you specifically. Oh well, it made sense to me.