Primer Report from Benton, TN

Stopped by at Benton Shooter's Supply today. Noticed that there were several sleeves of primers in the shelves in the reloading department. They were priced at $250.00 for 5000. That is $50.00 per thousand. I didn't bother to price them per 1000; as I thought the sleeve price was ridiculous.

I understand that adults are to be as responsible (or irresponsible) as they care to be; and that nobody makes anybody else buy anything that they dont want. I also understand the "Buyer Beware" buying philosophy, and picking the "low hanging fruit" selling philosophy.

Sooner or later this primer shortage will be over; and prices will drop to the real market price level. Many responsible retailers understand this fact. Midway recently had primers (which they promptly sold out of) for $30.00/thousand -- that figures to $150.00 per sleeve before adding HAZMAT and shipping.

You shooters that trade with Benton Shooters Supply for reloading stuff need to remember what you have seen. Many responsible retailers simply choose to sell out of an "in demand" item and keep the price where it should be and to treat their customers as they should be treated; that is, fairly. Others choose to take advantage of the shortage. There is simply no reason outside of price gouging that primers should be priced at $50/thousand.

I suspect that there are many area shooters who helped to make this company a success who regularly read this forum that need to consider just how foolish these folks must think you are and adjust their buying habits and sources of supply accordingly.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they got them at old prices then yes they are taking advantage of the market, But their price probably is reflecting the higher price they had to pay to obtain them. I might be wrong. i guess if you need them now the price is a lot better than gunbroker at 100 plus per thousand. Me I'll just wait til things cool off and hold what I got.

Guest Traumaslave
I would just guess that's the cost of doing business with BSS. Nice place to look, but cheaper to buy the darn things MSRP from the manufacturers website. They are, and always have been, the most expensive place in Tennessee.

Love to look there.

Beware of Barney when going through Benton.;)

You got that right, Driver.

Guest abailey362

well, devil's advocate here. if you are in need of primers its much better to find 1k of them for $20 more than to not be able to make ammo. the higher prices keeps people from stockpiling them, or buying up all the stock and turning a profit privately (ie. the ones going for over $100/1k. i'm sure those people would LOVE to be able to buy them for ONLY $50, or the people on this board who buy up as much WM ammo as they can and start threads here with 50% markup).

At least they are labeling them as the last primers known to man, or the ones that obama doesn't know about and they won't be replaced. They are simply reflecting some of the supplier's price increase, as well as making a profit where they have an opportunity.

They are not "simply reflecting the supplier's price increase". Take the time to look at the Midway Website. There has been no increase in primer wholesale prices. They run $25 to $30 per thousand.

Guest abailey362

but do any of those places have any? when they do ..they sell out in hours or minutes. I bet the places selling them for $50 will have some when people really need them.

places that don't have ay stock always like to have low prices posted, to make you feel better that they don't have any, just look at circuit city for the last year they were in business.

the real question to ask is why most of the places with the low low prices won't let you back-order. I bet when they come back in stock, half of them will be higher priced.

but do any of those places have any? when they do ..they sell out in hours or minutes. I bet the places selling them for $50 will have some when people really need them.

places that don't have ay stock always like to have low prices posted, to make you feel better that they don't have any, just look at circuit city for the last year they were in business.

the real question to ask is why most of the places with the low low prices won't let you back-order. I bet when they come back in stock, half of them will be higher priced.

I never make it a practice to argue with such logic. Buy them wherever you like.

Guest Mugster
I never make it a practice to argue with such logic. Buy them wherever you like.

Lol. Yeah, I'm sure midway and circuit city have alot in common.

I suspect we're right in the middle of a goodly sized ammo and gun bubble. And like all bubbles it'll eventually pop. I had figured june originally, but looks like it may run on a little longer. Then things will probably be dirt cheap and it'll be time to stock up like a bandit.

Guest Traumaslave
Then things will probably be dirt cheap and it'll be time to stock up like a bandit.

One can only hope and wait.

Guest Grout

Like the late Vern Gosdin used to sing "This ain't my first rodeo".Remember the primer shortage in the mid 90s? The rumor was Bill Clinton was going to force ammo companys to put a chemical in primers that would make them inert after 5 years.You couldn't find primers anywhere.:rolleyes:

Guest Mugster

Hahaha, yeah. People were buying reloading stuff like crazy and then selling it cheap the next 10 years.

What cracks me up more are all the inoperable large solar panel arrays out there that no longer work from the 70's global warming scare.

Its lookin pretty good for a firesale on jeeps and trucks, i'll say that.