Jack Daniel's Distillery

the maker's mark tour in KY is nice...very small and personal, and you get to dip your own bottle in the wax if you buy a bottle to take home. even have a special label that's only avail there.

I did the Makers Mark tour and it was great. Its more personal than JD. I did get me a bottle to dip and it turned out great. Both are good tours. Can anyone tour Dickel?

-Jason G

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost cried on the Woodford tour.....the guide spilled about a gallon out of a barrel down the drain while filling a glass for everyone to smell, then after we all got a sweet sweet smell........he dumped the glass down the drain :( Me and whiskey had a falling out back in college, but I sure enjoy a nice relaxing Woodford.

LOL, I would have cried as well ;)

I did the Makers Mark tour and it was great. Its more personal than JD. I did get me a bottle to dip and it turned out great. Both are good tours. Can anyone tour Dickel?

-Jason G

Yes - daily tours leaving from the country store across from the plant.

• Administrator

Hornet Handler (member here) has a decent collection of JD memorabilia. I've got a very small collection but I think my favorite piece is still my Squires shot glass. Neither of us thought to keep the empty Single Barrel bottle we killed on two Super Bowls ago, but that would have made for an interesting conversation starter as well. ;)

Purely by coincidence with this thread, my wife and I are going to the distillery next weekend for the BBQ on the Hill and have reservations at a nearby B&B the night before. It's going to be her first time down there and my second.

Guest JHatmaker
the maker's mark tour in KY is nice...very small and personal, and you get to dip your own bottle in the wax if you buy a bottle to take home. even have a special label that's only avail there.

Heck yeah, I dipped two bottles and had the Bill Samuels Jr. sign them the Thoroughbreds and Redheads event a few years ago.

I'm an Ambassador and have a barrel with my name on there. I get a letter every now and then telling me they moved it etc. When it's ready to pour they invite you and the others who's names are on there to get a bottle filled from the barrel and dip it. They send some pretty cool swag in the mail every now and then too.

Anyway, back on topic, this is a Jack Daniels thread, and I also love me some Single Barrel. In my opinion, some of the sweetest, best tasting sing barrel bourbon you can get. I've tried just about everything out there, but always come back to JD's Single Barrel (and some Maker's as well...)

Heck yeah, I dipped two bottles and had the Bill Samuels Jr. sign them the Thoroughbreds and Redheads event a few years ago.

I'm an Ambassador and have a barrel with my name on there. I get a letter every now and then telling me they moved it etc. When it's ready to pour they invite you and the others who's names are on there to get a bottle filled from the barrel and dip it. They send some pretty cool swag in the mail every now and then too.

Anyway, back on topic, this is a Jack Daniels thread, and I also love me some Single Barrel. In my opinion, some of the sweetest, best tasting sing barrel bourbon you can get. I've tried just about everything out there, but always come back to JD's Single Barrel (and some Maker's as well...)

One thing i wish I would have known, in 2004 I was working in Trinidad for a long while 2002-2004, and at the Duty free shops in Port of Spain, they had Silver Select Single Barrel, a Box of 4 Bottles for $100.00, at the time I thought it was something Distilled out of the West Indies.

I did not learn until the tour that every drop is made in Lynchburg . The next time I work overseas, I will pick up as much Silver Select Single barrel as I am allowed to bring back. The Duty free stores are the only place in the world that this is sold,

Guest TEBISH
I have lived in Tennessee off and on for 20 years, yesterday was the first time that I visited Lynchburg. My wife and I had an excellent time the tour was very informative

No doubt about it - that was the most informative tour I've ever been through in my life. Maybe my interests were perked but I couldn't believe how informative it was when I was done. The tour guide had to have a book on Jack Daniels history imprinted on his contacts!

David i think every year they change what they give out in the Squire Room and at the BBQ. I got a Squire shot glass in Oct. I have also have a "worry stone" with the Squire emblem on the back of it and a set of 4 crystal hi-ball glasses with the Squire emblem on them. I have the entire set of "Scenes of Lynchburg" bottles, the 2008 & 2009 Ducks Unlimited Single Barrel bottles, three of the Gold Metal Bottles, and the Prohibition 2 bottle set. The hardest thing about collecting the bottles is keeping them all un-opened and full :).

-Jason G

One thing i wish I would have known, in 2004 I was working in Trinidad for a long while 2002-2004, and at the Duty free shops in Port of Spain, they had Silver Select Single Barrel, a Box of 4 Bottles for $100.00

Steve that is a great buy on the Silver Select Single Barrel. I am always looking for collectible bottles on ebay and they usually sell for $110-$120. Here is link to what I mean.

jack daniels silver select, Collectibles items on eBay.com

-Jason G

Steve that is a great buy on the Silver Select Single Barrel. I am always looking for collectible bottles on ebay and they usually sell for $110-$120. Here is link to what I mean.

jack daniels silver select, Collectibles items on eBay.com

-Jason G

Jason,

I had been checking that out on Ebay, there are rumors that my boat may be going to work in India, if we go I will pick you up a bottle :)

• 4 weeks later...

My girlfriend and I visited the Jack Daniels distillery over the weekend. Not at all what I had expected. The tour was great.

I was a little disappointed to learn that they didn't have any Gentleman Jack or Single Barrel for sale in the store, but that hardly put a damper on the entire experience. Man, it was great.

I could have spent a very long time in the mellowing building and barrel house. I can still smell the amazing aroma.

So anyone wanna hook a man up with a squireship?

The mom of one of my h.s. seniors is the JD event coordinator. If you'd like to set up a TGO tour, I might be able to talk her into including a private tasting with one of the master tasters. Maybe we could have a TGO picnic up on the hill sometime.

• Administrator
The mom of one of my h.s. seniors is the JD event coordinator. If you'd like to set up a TGO tour, I might be able to talk her into including a private tasting with one of the master tasters. Maybe we could have a TGO picnic up on the hill sometime.

Actually working on the TGO picnic and have spoke with Christie [sp] a few times lately. :meh:

that would be awesome. i am game for that.

Actually working on the TGO picnic and have spoke with Christie [sp] a few times lately. :rolleyes:

David this would be great, I think we have a lot of JD fans, collectors here on TGO. Please keep us updated on this. I would love to do a TGO picnic/tasting whatever.

-Jason G

• 8 months later...
Actually working on the TGO picnic and have spoke with Christie [sp] a few times lately. :)

David,

Did anything become of this? Today was my second tour of the Distillery and my first as a Squire, It is truly an honor to be a part of the Squire association and I will treasure it for the rest of my life.

Edited by willis68