Restaurant Ettiquete While Carrying

Guest cowboy20th

LOL...I have to say I'm a little torn.

Part of me wants to say there was good info in the post another part feels like I've just been talked down to because I may not know how to handle myself in this "new" situation.

I get where the OP is coming from, but yea I honestly was a little insulted by the post. There seems to be this idea that we are all suddenly going to be unaware of how to behave at a restaurant that serves alcohol?

No offense to the OP, especially since I'm only 3 years older than him, but if you might want to think about the way your post is going to come across before you hit the enter key. I think Jamie said the rest as well or better than I can.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest unreconstructed1
I get where the OP is coming from, but yea I honestly was a little insulted by the post.

honestly, I felt a little "talked down" to myself. while I understand the spirit with which the OP was written, we are all adults ( even though some may not act as such) and we have all had to sit through a day long lecture about right and wrong in relation to guns. Surely we shouldn't need a new lecture every time a new location becomes available to exercise our rights.

a few remarks on the OP:

1. No offense, but I rarely engage in long conversations of any nature with my waiters, as normally they are busy making sure that their other patrons are being taken care of. If you are suggesting ( as I felt you were when I first read the post) that we shouldn't engage in such conversations with the rest of our party so as not to offend the delicate sensitivities of our waiter, I'm sorry but when I invite someone to dinner I will talk with them about whatever topic I so desire.

2. "playing" with your gun, laying it on the seat, laying it on the table etc. is not only foolish, it can be perceived as brandishing under most circumstances. while I have no doubt that some people may do this exact thing, but I would venture to guess that they are in an extreme minority; and surely not with enough frequency to warrant an advisory about.

3. don't worry, most of us aren't quite John Wayne enough to engage in a duel with someone because they decided to gripe at the waiter about the service/quality of food, etc.

4. there is a reason that there is no provision for punishing the waiter for serving alcohol to someone while carrying. just like drinking and driving, I would believe that it is safe to say that, unless your establishment plans to frisk everyone who orders a drink, the majority of folks who engage in this behavior will most likely be caught while driving, or doing something else once they leave your establishment. and just like carrying in prohibited places, as some people do, I would say that the only time that you may ever realize that he has that gun is if he had to pull it to save his life or yours.

Guest lan2i
Many restaurant employees are very liberal so this topic could be very touchy with your service staff, try to stay away from politics and religion from the conversation as this is considered offense in the public dining setting.

Sorry guy, but if I am dining, and I wish to talk about politics or religion at my table, it is not the place of the employee to give their opinion. It is there job to serve the food. If the employee overhears my conversation, fine, they can go about their business. I will not watch my mouth just because a server is not a conservative or Christian, as I am both.

Guest SUNTZU

Has anyone seen the write up on Guns in Bars and Ammo Shortages in Knoxville's New Sentinel? Rooster's Sports Bar and Grill will be banning carrying firearms as will Wild Wings Cafe.

Here is the ammo shortage link.

Stores report shortage of ammunition, handguns after election : Business : Knoxville News Sentinel

Here is the guns in bars link.

'Guns-in-bars' measure worries some : Business : Knoxville News Sentinel

Guest Jamie

Y'know, if the OP is the kind to interject himself in his customer's conversations, then maybe his concern over patrons with guns makes sense... :usa:;)

Of course, it's not like the ones without won't simply resort to beer bottles and knives, like the fellow at the club in Nashville the other night. :ugh:

Guest m&pc9

Thank you for educating me on proper gun Etiquettes. That would have been embarrassing when I whipped out my gun and laid it on the table.:usa:

Thank you for educating me on proper gun Etiquettes. That would have been embarrassing when I whipped out my gun and laid it on the table.:usa:

Reminds me of the scene in the beginning of Tombstone where Doc Holiday pulls his pistols out, lays them on the table, pats them and says something to the effect of "there we can be friends now"

:ugh:

Guest m&pc9
that video is exactly what it will be like once we get to carry in bars, yeehaw

Well I guess I will have to save up some money, And buy me 2 colt wheel guns.

Guest cowboy20th

You can of course talk about whatever you want at your table, but if you engage the server in such talk, then you might not get a warm response. I seriously don't understand why everyone is being so offensive. Honestly none of these things are that far fetched and most people have good manners when dinning out anyway. I was just trying to give the community a perspective from someone who works in restaurants all the time.

The point was to try our best to make a sparkling clean image on the public and make ourselves more politically friendly, in the hope that when more legislation gets introduced to protect our right to carry no one can say "look what happened when they started carrying in restaurants." Because just one incidence would be all over every news station, paper, radio, and internet site for the state. And from a statistical viewpoint, the majority of ccw permit holders will be eating out this summer more so than average, which makes the possibilities of bad public image higher.

There will probably be some progun/antigun conflicts going on inside of restaurants over the next few weeks. Alot of people don't even realise the legislation is almost ready to be in effect. The better you act the less ammo the enemy has to argue with you.

You guys are welcome to ignore the message. But just remember when the 1st ammendment started getting restricted, one too many morons screamed fire in a movie theatre which lead to a long downhill spiral of restrictive speech laws and rulings. It didn't take many morons to start that.

here is something and cowboy20th don't take this the wrong way.

A waiter is there to provide service to me. The waiter should promptly give me a menu, ask if I want something to drink. Fetch the drink while I look at the menu. Take my order, check my drink. Bring my food, check my beverage, ask if I need anything else. Come back in about 3 minutes to see if there was something I needed and forgot about. Check my drink. Stop back with my topped off diet pepsi. Notice my dinner is about consumed, ask if I want anything else. Give me my check.

Waiters are not there to join in my conversation, not there to listen to my tables conversation. They are there to see to it my needs are taken care of while I dine.

Flatly I could give a rat fart what the waiter thinks. I am the customer, we are not equals in this scenario.

In return I will says please and thank you, be pleasant in my demeanor and if your service warranted it I will tip you generously.

Anyway thats what i think.

I completely understand where you are coming from,as im quite sure most here do aswell.

I think it may have been just a little too much for one time,and to wide of an area to cover when you added the other non-gun stuff in.

Although I would like to say that

1; if I start talking to a server,and I get a cold response, A, im probably not going to tip,and B,im going to speaking to tha boss about about a rude server.

2; fredom of speech does not apply to anything except from the gov. That includs restaurants,and the movies.

Also,its not a good analogy to compare gun laws to screming fire in a crowded room.

Guest unreconstructed1
I think the problem is your preaching to the choir.

honestly, yes. that is exactly the problem.

cowboy, speaking for myself:

you gotta remember something. many of us, if not most have studied the laws applicable to carry, a lot of us have printed out those laws in order to help share correct knowledge with everyone else, and a select few ( I won't specifically mention fallguy) even seems to have memorized every State and federal law and attorney generals opinion applicable to handgun carry in existence;even to the point that he probably begins quoting Tennessee code annotated in his sleep...

several here have taken it upon themselves to become unofficial ambassadors for handgun carry and the particular sub-issues that they champion the most, i.e. open carry, carry locations, etc.

to someone who has taken so much time to study up on these laws in order to be well versed in proper laws, "ettiquette", and such, someone coming on here trying to show them "the right way" comes off as a little demeaning.

Guest grimel

to someone who has taken so much time to study up on these laws in order to be well versed in proper laws, "ettiquette", and such, someone coming on here trying to show them "the right way" comes off as a little demeaning.

It probably doesn't help that it is coming from someone who is younger than my children. That puts him in a group I'd generally like to smack upside the head for a general lack of manners and dependence.

Guest unreconstructed1
It probably doesn't help that it is coming from someone who is younger than my children. That puts him in a group I'd generally like to smack upside the head for a general lack of manners and dependence.

well, honestly, age is usually not a factor to me. that may be because I'm only 28; but I would like to think it is because in those 28 years, i've seen several intelligent and well spoken folks with something very relevant to say who weren't even old enough o buy cigarettes, and I've seen some older folks who I personally thought were idiots, and then they opened their mouths and removed all doubt.

Of course there are also olderfolks who we would all do good to listen to in the hopes that we might learn even an ounce of the knowledge and wisdom they possess, and some younger folks who I wanted to smack so hard it would turn their caps around the right way...

Guest grimel
well, honestly, age is usually not a factor to me. that may be because I'm only 28; but I would like to think it is because in those 28 years, i've seen several intelligent and well spoken folks with something very relevant to say who weren't even old enough o buy cigarettes, and I've seen some older folks who I personally thought were idiots, and then they opened their mouths and removed all doubt.

Of course there are also olderfolks who we would all do good to listen to in the hopes that we might learn even an ounce of the knowledge and wisdom they possess, and some younger folks who I wanted to smack so hard it would turn their caps around the right way...

If you'll re-read what I wrote at no point did I equate age with useful information, but, a lack of manners and excessive dependence. Excuse me, thank you, sir/ma'am, opening doors for women/elderly/disabled seem to be vanishing things.

and a select few ( I won't specifically mention fallguy) even seems to have memorized every State and federal law and attorney generals opinion applicable to handgun carry in existence;even to the point that he probably begins quoting Tennessee code annotated in his sleep...

ROFL *wakes up screaming* AHHHHH! 39-17-1359!

If you'll re-read what I wrote at no point did I equate age with useful information, but, a lack of manners and excessive dependence. Excuse me, thank you, sir/ma'am, opening doors for women/elderly/disabled seem to be vanishing things.

This bothers me as well. I'm 24 and was raised by my Mom and Grandparents. I don't think my wife has touched a car door that I was near since we met and I'm pretty aggressive about making sure people following me in and out of restaurants don't touch a door either. Never met a person in a business capacity or that was 5 years older than me that didn't get a Sir or Maam.

Guest Old goat

I promise to be nice and not lay my toys on the table. If during my conversation with my friends, the topic is possibly something that may offend my Liberal wait-person, we will whisper or spell out words like guns. Deal? Now if you could answer a question that has puzzled me for a long time. When I order unsweet tea with lemon and then get a refill, I can almost never get another lemon, even when I ask. Is there like a limit that the general public is unaware of?