Park Bill on the House schedule for Today

I think so, as I posted in post 70, what passed yesterday says..

If a municipality or county elects to prohibit persons authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, from possessing such handgun while within or on a public park, it shall display in prominent locations the sign authorized by § 39-17-1311©(1), to give notice that handguns are not permitted in the park.

...and this is what 39-17-1311©(1) says,

Each chief administrator of public recreational property shall display in prominent locations about the public recreational property a sign, at least six inches (6") high and fourteen inches (14") wide, stating:

MISDEMEANOR. STATE LAW PRESCRIBES A MAXIMUM PENALTY OF ELEVEN (11) MONTHS AND TWENTY-NINE (29) DAYS AND A FINE NOT TO EXCEED TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($2,500) FOR CARRYING WEAPONS ON OR IN PUBLIC RECREATIONAL PROPERTY.

It doesn't say anything about similar or the like, it gives exact minimal dimensions and wording. Nothing in the new bill/law changes the signage in 39-17-1311©

The bill also added this to 39-17-1359....

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the grounds of any public park, wildlife management area, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof. The carrying of firearms in such areas shall be governed by § 39-17-1311.

So to me that means 39-17-1359 will not apply to postings for parks, that you must refer to 39-17-1311 for posting a park.

Edited by Fallguy
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking a bit closer at the bill, it is only carry in the local parks that don't go into effect until Sept 1. State (and National parks if it is ever cleared) parks will go into effect immediately.

The part about local goverments being able to vote to prohibit carry and post also goes into effect immediately also, but can't carry till Sept 1.

After looking a bit closer at the bill, it is only carry in the local parks that don't go into effect until Sept 1. State (and National parks if it is ever cleared) parks will go into effect immediately.

The part about local goverments being able to vote to prohibit carry and post also goes into effect immediately also, but can't carry till Sept 1.

Looks to me like cities with at least enough money to put up signs are going to ban it, judging by Nashville's and Nooga's immediate responses.

- OS

Looks to me like cities with at least enough money to put up signs are going to ban it, judging by Nashville's and Nooga's immediate responses.

- OS

I think you're probably right. :D That's ok...I'll just go to state parks then. :D

so what your saying is they will have to meet the same standards in signage as 1311 just like in 1359?

IMHO if this is true this is awesome news.. I bet ya most wont bother to post correctly if they post at all, so if you CC then you will get one free pass legally.

I'd carry conceal and hope not to be the test case for that one. My money isn't that long :screwy:

I got another question about state parks and such. Will this allow one to carry at say a lake? We have Lake Graham here in Jackson which is state owned if memory serves me correct but not sure if that would be considered a State Park. I know they fall under TN Wildlife Agency

Any comments?

I got another question about state parks and such. Will this allow one to carry at say a lake? We have Lake Graham here in Jackson which is state owned if memory serves me correct but not sure if that would be considered a State Park. I know they fall under TN Wildlife Agency

Any comments?

Here is a long discussion we had about carry on TVA water in the past. Within it a copy of this letter from the TWRA was posted.

Guest 270win

I think it will be a real pain for these cities to suddenly put up properly worded AND sized signs all over the park entrances to keep us from carrying a handgun. I have never seen one at any park in the Shelby County area or Nashville...and present law allows signs. I honestly would not point anything out to the larger cities, such as Chattanooga, Knoxville, Nashville, and Memphis or their suburbs about these proper signs. If no sign, then it is legal. Let them have their vote, but I am going to bet they're not going to pony up the cash for tons of ugly signs. The signs almost make visitors think there is some sort of problem.

Guest db99wj
If Bredesen vetoed the restaraunt carry bill (http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/tennessee-politics-legislation/21893-tennessean-saying-bredesen-will-veto-hb962.html) that passed by such a large margin. What might he do with the park cary bill, that just barely passed in the house?

Yep, worried is right, he will veto and by the time he does it, the House and Senate will be out of session which will push it to next session, whenever that is.

My only real hope for the park bill is that it hasn't really received any media attention...well almost none compared to the restaurant carry bill. So there isn't quite the "public outcry" against it.

But.....it's not a lot of hope.... :shhh:

Guest HexHead

My guess is the park bill is dead in the water. Again, we might have had a shot at just the State parks, to go along with the National Parks. Now we won't be able to carry in the National Parks that are in TN either.

Guest HexHead
There was an article in the local paper stating Clarksville will keep city and county parks off limits to law abiding legal CHP holders.:shhh:

Moot point.

My guess is the park bill is dead in the water. Again, we might have had a shot at just the State parks, to go along with the National Parks. Now we won't be able to carry in the National Parks that are in TN either.

If/when the Federal Law allows carry in National Parks we will still be able to carry in National Parks in TN. There is no TN law against carry in National Parks.

The National Park wording in this state bill was just to clarify that.