Anyone know a good driveway alarm?

Guest coldblackwind

Guest coldblackwind

Ok, I have about a quarter mile long driveway, that requires you to drive quite slow or tear up your car, and only one window looks out on it, and that one isn't really easy to see from. The result is, people keep sneaking up on me, and I keep running to the door everytime the air conditioner goes off, thinking its a car door. So my question is, does anyone know a good driveway alarm to use? Theres plenty available, in tons of price ranges, but I'm not finding much in reviews, and what I am finding, sounds suspiciously like a commercial. So, anyone tried any of these and find a good one? Trying to stay as cheap as I can, but I'm willing to spend a bit more to not get a piece of junk.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sneaking up on you? It's most likely the same person that sneaks in my sister's house over in Smithville and steals her Little Debbies:tinfoil: Seriously though how bought just putting a chain or cable up across the entrance.

After having a bad experience with one type of alarm, we got one called "the reporter" wireless system. My wife found it on the internet. I don't remeber where we got it, but here's a link to the same unit, Wireless Driveway Alarm: $99! Motion Detector Alert Sensor & Outdoor Monitor It's worked great for about four years now.

I'd recommend this unit. It's worked real well for us. :hat:

I have a Reporter brand that has worked well for severeal years. Pretty darn easy on transmitter batteries. Only problem I have is the deer and coyotes set it off once in a while. I think it was about $50., purchased on line.

oldogy

I can get you one that has a 1000 ft "line of site" range. what that equates to most of the time is around 750 ft or so., the motion is powered by a 9volt battery and the receiver pluggs into any outlet so you can carry it into which ever room you want.

Pm me if you are interested.

My Grandfather uses one of these. He lives somewhere between 1/4 and a 1/2 mile off the road, and is in a heavily wooded area. With this set-up, "line of site" is no issue. The signal is plenty strong for the terrain. Of course, it's not as cheap as some of those others, but it looks like most of them are only good for 500-700 feet, max.

http://www.absoluteautomation.com/dakotaalert/index.html

He purchased a unit with the handheld receiver, so he's able to carry it with him while he's in his shop or garage. Many have a base station that requires you to be inside the home to hear it.

Guest coldblackwind
Sneaking up on you? It's most likely the same person that sneaks in my sister's house over in Smithville and steals her Little Debbies:tinfoil: Seriously though how bought just putting a chain or cable up across the entrance.

I think you misunderstand, its not anyone stealing stuff. So far, just people who are supposed to be here (only been in this house about a month), I just hate not knowing someone is here until they knock on the door, it bothers me, because what if its someone who ISN'T supposed to be here? I want to know they're coming. Plus my girlfriend has some family members who don't understand the concept of knocking, and someone just suddenly appearing in my kitchen would go over like a lead balloon. Plus, my driveway looks like a real neat 4X4 trail to anyone who doesn't realize it deadends shortly after the house. Also, a cable won't work because theres 2 right of ways, one is about a third of my driveway is actually on the neighbors land, and 2nd, theres a cell tower that the cell company has a right of way to access behind the house.

Thanks for the links guys, I'll definitely check them out, "the reporter" sounds like its done pretty good for two people at least, I'll definitely have to check that one out. Line of sight isn't a problem, its pretty much all field, I just don't have any windows that really look out of the driveway, AND face anyplace you might actually be looking.

I would also suggest a wireless camera system we bought one for our son, the baby systems at walmart were overpriced, so we went to electronics and bought a 2 camera system for around 85 bucks it just hooks to the tv's rca jack and we dont regret it, its got great clarity and is color and has sound but I'd advise not hooking up the sound part unless you like muting the tv or lowering the volume everytime you check on things. it can either be plugged in or uses a 9v battery that has lasted around 2 months on the cheapie duracel ones.

Guest db99wj
I can get you one that has a 1000 ft "line of site" range. what that equates to most of the time is around 750 ft or so., the motion is powered by a 9volt battery and the receiver pluggs into any outlet so you can carry it into which ever room you want.

Pm me if you are interested.

Don't know anything that can help you other than talk to this guy, he knows what he speaks...or types...or.....you get what I mean.:D

Don't know anything that can help you other than talk to this guy, he knows what he speaks...or types...or.....you get what I mean.:poop:

Appreciate that, however what I have is a little more that what he is wanting to do. Some of the other stuff looks promising though.:D

Guest Astra900

Best driveway alarm I have ever had. This alarm sounds ANY time there is a vehicle in our driveway. It's fairly low maintenance and serves a few other purposes too!

DSC00178.jpg