Chattanooga Mayor Littlefield says No Guns in City Parks

What major city or county is not going to invoke a ban? This is crazy to even pass it at the state level without some teeth to it. It is going to be more confusing for those that carry. It is difficult enough to keep up with state laws - but now city\county laws. The Chattanooga council will enforce the ban. This part of the bill was as nutty as the cell phone texting ban - how do they know if one is texting or dialing - or getting a pen out. Got to love the law makers. They actually passed a law a few years back legalizing the eating of road kill! Hmm, wonder why Georgia has not had massive shootouts in parks since passing their bill? Tennessee must really be the wild west I guess.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What major city or county is not going to invoke a ban? This is crazy to even pass it at the state level without some teeth to it....

That was my feeling going in, even after they made it an "opt out".

State laws should really be state laws.

- OS

Guest Phantom6

"We just don't think it is a good idea. Parks are for playing and for fun. If anyone needs to be armed out there, it only needs to be those that are enforcing the law."

Hey, if the hizzonor Mayor Littlemind is willing to staff each and every city park with not only posted police officers but roving patrols as well then I would be willing to secure my pistol in my vehicle (providing that security is available to watch my car to make sure that it is not broken into and my pistol stolen). Since that ain't gonna happen I'll just have to carry. Hope I can do it legally. 77% Aye -23% nay with 256 votes total when I voted yes.

What major city or county is not going to invoke a ban? This is crazy to even pass it at the state level without some teeth to it. It is going to be more confusing for those that carry. It is difficult enough to keep up with state laws - but now city\county laws. The Chattanooga council will enforce the ban. This part of the bill was as nutty as the cell phone texting ban - how do they know if one is texting or dialing - or getting a pen out. Got to love the law makers. They actually passed a law a few years back legalizing the eating of road kill! Hmm, wonder why Georgia has not had massive shootouts in parks since passing their bill? Tennessee must really be the wild west I guess.

That's my thought's as well. I rather it be yes or no even if it's not in my favor at least I know from one park to the next even though I don't visit parks if possible. Will they be required to post some new signs stating that the park is banned

Well Mayor if you do no think Chattanooga area parks are dangerous then why is it that the Chattanooga PD SWAT team is going to be not just on standby, but PATROLLING Coolidge Park on the last night of Riverbend during the fireworks show?

MAybe because of all the ARMED gang members that hang out in the parks after dark?

Well Mayor if you do no think Chattanooga area parks are dangerous then why is it that the Chattanooga PD SWAT team is going to be not just on standby, but PATROLLING Coolidge Park on the last night of Riverbend during the fireworks show?

MAybe because of all the ARMED gang members that hang out in the parks after dark?

Don't worry, the gang members won't be armed. After all, it is against the law. :up:

Guest packing45heat

Hello all,

I am from Acworth, Georgia. This week myself and my wife are visiting Chattanooga and I was looking forward to being able to carry in resturants that serve alcohol but was upset to hear about the Govenor's veto. Personally, I hope it gets overriden soon.

Am I understanding the topic regarding carrying in parks correctly......it is legal unless the local government bans it? What is the point of passing something like this at the state level then?

One last thing....is it legal to carry on the downtown shuttle here in Chattanooga? My wife and I plan to use it as much as possible to limit having to drive our vehicle so much.

Thank you in advance.

Right now all public (city, county and state) parks are off limits. This bill would allow carry in state and local parks, but would give local governments the opportunity to ban carry in their parks. Sort of like they can ban carry in city/county buildings by posting a sign if they like.

There is no state law against carry on public transportation. I'm not sure of any local regulations in Chattanooga...maybe someone closer will chime in shortly.

There is no state law against carry on public transportation. I'm not sure of any local regulations in Chattanooga...maybe someone closer will chime in shortly.

As I understand it, municipalities can not enact any restrictive firearm legislation, unless that specific option is granted under state law (like the proposed local parks bill). And there is no state public transportation ban, or option for it.

AFAIK, firearms possession is banned by federal law for interstate bus travel, just as it is for airlines. Which begs the question, can you legally carry on a Greyhound if your travel stays INstate?

- OS

Probably didn't pharse it as well as I could have....

Sort of meant I didn't know if the buses were posted....although I have never heard of any vehicle or mode of transportation being posted, but in some places...who knows??? :lol:

Guest packing45heat

So it would seem that the shuttle is an ok place to carry. What bites is that when we go out to do anything, we usually are ending up in resturants that serve alcohol so I cannot carry anyway.

Could this be an intentional attempt at frustrating gun owners into not carrying at all? No, I am sure that is not it. :lol: