Park Carry and Loaded Long guns?

Guest canynracer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Bredesen's going to Europe this weekend, then when he comes back he and the legislator has the state budget to contend with. I'm hoping he just lets the park bill go without a veto because that would just take up a lot of time in the House to over ride this one also. Besides, I don't think he can get enough uniformed park rangers to stand behind him for a photo shoot unless he orders them to as state employees.

But I don't completly count out the possibility that the SOB will veto it.

T - CALLS NEEDED - PARKS BILL

icon_post_target.gifby johnharris » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:15 am

The deadline on vetoing the parks bill is today, June 11. SB 0976 - HB 0716

We have been alerted this morning that the Governor plans to VETO the parks bill unless the bill is recalled by the House and/or the Senate. The governor wants the PARKS bill amended to either remove local parks entirely and/or to flip from the "opt out" standard to an "opt in" standard.

The version of the bill that was passed by the legislature opens local parks but allows the local governments to close them by "resolution" - which is bad since it requires no public hearing. However, the governor wants the local parks closed by default and to allow local governments to open them - which most will not do.

We believe the Senate will stay on the current language but that the House (principally through sponsor Nicely) is considering recalling the bill.

We need calls to all legislators :

1) DO NOT RECALL THE BILL

2) IF THE GOVERNOR WANTS TO VETO IT - Fine but

3) GET A COMMITMENT TO A VETO OVERRIDE!!!! even if we have to extend the session.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/senate/members/

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/house/members/

I checked with the NRAILA lobbyist for Tennessee and this is the message that the NRA will be sending out -

SIGN IT OR WE WILL OVERRIDE AGAIN!!!

John Harris

Executive Director

Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.

Attorney

johnharris Site Admin Posts: 1351 Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:03 pm Location: Nashville, Tennessee

Guest Smitty

I just read that the governor signed both bills yesterday. When do the laws take into effect? I only found the long guns bill to take effect July 1, 2009. I'm not sure on the state parks bill.

I just read that the governor signed both bills yesterday. When do the laws take into effect? I only found the long guns bill to take effect July 1, 2009. I'm not sure on the state parks bill.

Long Guns - Immediately

State Parks - Immediately

Local Parks - Sept 1

National Parks - Immediately as far as the state is conferenced. So some places like National Forest would be Immediately, however as of today it is still Feb 2010 for National Parks and National WMAs

Guest Smitty

That's good to hear, but does this new law include state forests as well? If so I'll get to carry at my family reunion this year at Standing Stone State Park and State Forest. :lol: Also I other questions. What about buildings in state parks/forests? Do they have to post or is it legal under this new law since it is in the boundaries of the park/forest? I haven't seen anything that I've read that covers this minor issue. Just one last question. What about state parks/forest that are already posted? Does this new law override them and prevent them from prohibiting us to carry with valid carry permits? I would just like to be correctly educated on the laws before I have the opportunity to exercise them properly. Thanks Fallguy or whoever wants to chime in. :)

Edited by Smitty
That's good to hear, but does this new law include state forests as well? If so I'll get to carry at my family reunion this year at Standing Stone State Park and State Forest. :) Also I other questions. What about buildings in state parks/forests? Do they have to post or is it legal under this new law since it is in the boundaries of the park/forest? I haven't seen anything that I've read that covers this minor issue. Just one last question. What about state parks/forest that are already posted? Does this new law override them and prevent them from prohibiting us to carry with valid carry permits? I would just like to be correctly educated on the laws before I have the opportunity to exercise them properly. Thanks Fallguy or whoever wants to chime in. :)

Best I can tell.....anything that was off limits per 39-17-1311 on a state level is now legal if you have a HCP.

Guest tlondon

one thing I am not clear on is if a state park is posted and has been posted for a long time, will it remain an no carry place r does the new law override this posting

one thing I am not clear on is if a state park is posted and has been posted for a long time, will it remain an no carry place r does the new law override this posting

It remains a no carry place for those that do not have a HCP.

If you have HCP you can carry in a state park even if it is posted.

As Fallguy said, to get the bill passed the State Parks won't remove the old signs but will replace them over time with new signs so the bill won't impact the parks departments fiscal budget.

At the same time local parks will be posting signs as well, which will have the impact of preventing you from carrying in the park.

Great care will have to be taken to know if the park you're visiting is a state or local park because both my be posted but only in state parks may you ignore the sign and legally carry.

Hopefully we'll be able to come back in the next year or two and remove the local parks exception.

As Fallguy said, to get the bill passed the State Parks won't remove the old signs but will replace them over time with new signs so the bill won't impact the parks departments fiscal budget.

At the same time local parks will be posting signs as well, which will have the impact of preventing you from carrying in the park.

Great care will have to be taken to know if the park you're visiting is a state or local park because both my be posted but only in state parks may you ignore the sign and legally carry.

Hopefully we'll be able to come back in the next year or two and remove the local parks exception.

On every state park entrance I have ever seen it was posted as a state park.

It remains a no carry place for those that do not have a HCP.

If you have HCP you can carry in a state park even if it is posted.

I think it would be cheap for them to just place a small additional sign on their rules sign that says, only HPC holders are allowed to possess handguns in state parks.

Guest crotalus01

Clarification? Did the bill he signed allow local parks to opt out? If so, what is the signage requirement? Most local parks here you can enter from just about any direction so there is no "entrance" so to speak, to post a sign at. How will that work so I know if a park is posted or not?

Clarification? Did the bill he signed allow local parks to opt out? If so, what is the signage requirement?

Yes.

"....in prominent locations about the public recreational property a sign, at least six inches (6²) high and fourteen inches (14²) wide, stating:

MISDEMEANOR. STATE LAW PRESCRIBES A MAXIMUM PENALTY OF ELEVEN (11) MONTHS AND TWENTY-NINE (29) DAYS AND A FINE NOT TO EXCEED TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($2,500) FOR CARRYING WEAPONS ON OR IN PUBLIC RECREATIONAL PROPERTY."

- OS

I think it would be cheap for them to just place a small additional sign on their rules sign that says, only HPC holders are allowed to possess handguns in state parks.

I agree. But let's say if the sign was only $5 by the time you multiply that for every state park in the entire state, the sum is large enough for some to say they are Pro-2A, but fiscal impact on the state is too great and vote against it. That is what has happened in years past anyway, thus the express language of not changing signs in this bill.

Yes.

"....in prominent locations about the public recreational property a sign, at least six inches (6²) high and fourteen inches (14²) wide, stating:

MISDEMEANOR. STATE LAW PRESCRIBES A MAXIMUM PENALTY OF ELEVEN (11) MONTHS AND TWENTY-NINE (29) DAYS AND A FINE NOT TO EXCEED TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($2,500) FOR CARRYING WEAPONS ON OR IN PUBLIC RECREATIONAL PROPERTY."

- OS

What he said....

Guest trigem

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

This is a list of state parks in the U.S. state of Tennessee

Guest crotalus01
Long Guns - Immediately

State Parks - Immediately

Local Parks - Sept 1

National Parks - Immediately as far as the state is conferenced. So some places like National Forest would be Immediately, however as of today it is still Feb 2010 for National Parks and National WMAs

Just so I am clear on all this: I can now legally carry at Meeman Shelby State Forest? But I need to wait until Sept 01 to carry at Overton Park or the Memphis Zoo provided they do not opt out and post?

And on 02-01-10 I could legally carry at Smokey Mountains National Park?

Thanks for clarification, I am still a bit confused by all of this bill...

Guest redbarron06
Just so I am clear on all this: I can now legally carry at Meeman Shelby State Forest? But I need to wait until Sept 01 to carry at Overton Park or the Memphis Zoo provided they do not opt out and post?

And on 02-01-10 I could legally carry at Smokey Mountains National Park?

Thanks for clarification, I am still a bit confused by all of this bill...

Well actually (according to the zoos website and wiki) the zoo is private (hense the .org web site and not a .gov) but is located on a Memphis park so as long as that park is posted then the zoo is also off limits for carry.