Okay, this is troubling....

Guest HexHead

Guest HexHead

From the Tennessean...

"Randy Rayburn owns Cabana, Sunset Grill and the Midtown Cafe. He oversees Sunset and Midtown.

"I have had a sign up since this past weekend that says 'No Guns — Ever, Free Parking — Always' at Sunset," Rayburn said. "I'm planning to add a sign at Midtown.

"This is a travesty for public safety. I think this is an effort to create a partisan issue out of thin air and it's a shame that the public safety of restaurant patrons and employees have been overridden by the three percent of the state population that are gun permit holders.

"Alcohol and gunpowder are a volatile mixture."

"We will change this legislation as it affects Davidson County very shortly. We've been working on this a few days in anticipation of the override" in Metro Council."

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090604/NEWS0201/906040348/

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jg45

I don't think the bill allowed for local government to override the statute. A business owner can certainly post if he wishes, but I don't think a city or county can blanket make it illegal. The parks bill has a provision allowing local government to ban with a single resolution.

Guest HexHead

I also do not believe city council can ban guns.

I don't think they can either if it's in conflict with State law. But do they know that? Never underestimate the stupidity of Metro Council. If Dean wants it, they'll pass it regardless of the legitimacy of it and asswipe Surpas will be glad to enforce it until stopped by the courts. And that could take years.

Guest jg45
his no guns sign has no meaning. Ignore it and it will be like it isn't really there.

I also do not believe city council can ban guns.

Don't ignore it, why give him ammunition. Phone him, write him, or drop in and tell him, that he has offended you, you do not feel safe in his establishment, and that you will not be spending another dime there as long as that sign is on the door and his attitude towards you as a gun owner and permit holder is so negative. Be offended! Be vocal! Be safe!

Edited by jg45
fixed spelling
Guest HexHead

Well, I just sent that article to the NRA-ILA to bring Metro Council to their radar screen. :lol:

Edited by HexHead
Guest jg45
Thats fine and all, but I would rather be invisible, fly under the radar and always be safe.

No doubt, my comment was directly aimed at not going to establishments that ban (properly or not) and letting them know why. I am not saying to around being a loud mouth when you are CC or OC.

Edited by jg45
can't type
Guest stovepipe

Perhaps:TCA 39-17-1314. Local regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted by state regulation — Actions against firearms or ammunition manufacturers, trade associations or dealers. —

(a) No city, county, or metropolitan government shall occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition or components of firearms or combinations thereof; provided, that the provisions of this section shall be prospective only and shall not affect the validity of any ordinance or resolution lawfully enacted before April 8, 1986.

(:lol: The general assembly declares that the lawful design, marketing, manufacture and sale of firearms and ammunition to the public are not unreasonably dangerous activities and do not constitute a nuisance per se.

© (1) The authority to bring suit and right to recover against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer by or on behalf of any state entity, county, municipality or metropolitan government for damages, abatement or injunctive relief resulting from or relating to the lawful design, manufacture, marketing or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public shall be reserved exclusively to the state.

(2) Nothing in this subsection © shall be construed to prohibit a county, municipality, or metropolitan government from bringing an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by such county, municipality, or metropolitan government.

(3) Nothing in this subsection © shall preclude an individual from bringing a cause of action for breach of a written contract, breach of an express warranty, or for injuries resulting from defects in the materials or workmanship in the manufacture of the firearm.

(d) The provisions of subsections (:) and © shall not apply in any litigation brought by an individual against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer.

[Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1; 1999, ch. 293, §§ 1, 2.]

Guest HexHead

Oh hell, some guy commenting on that article is causing trouble...

"Now I suggest that Mr. Rayburn check with his lawyer who should, in turn, read TCA (Tennessee Code Annotated) concerning the gun laws. His silly sign does not meet the requirements of the law. The sign must be of a certain size and contain certain verbage. The sign mus also be placed at all of the common public entrances to his establishments.

Contacting Metro council is a waste of time. It cannot overturn or override state law.

Many permit holders will boycott places that put up signs, even if the signs meet the legal requirements."

No doubt, my comment was directly aimed at not going to establishments that ban (properly or not) and letting them know why. I am not saying to around being a loud mouth when you are CC or OC.

I would agree that if you are going to boycott a place posted properly or otherwise to make sure they know you are doing just that.

Myself, improper posting seems to be a way to placate soccer moms and still let the rest of us go about our business.

Look, if he's posted improperly, go on in, order your meal, and halfway through, have your server inform management that you're carrying. If he boots you out, you don't have to pay.

Whaddaya know...there IS such a thing as a free lunch...

I can tell you when the militant posting "no guns here" will stop. When a HCP holder is seriously hurt or killed in one of these establishments that is post and that HCP holder or their family sues the establishment for not properly securing their safety after removing his or her right to defend themselves. Perhaps that little tid-bit should be on our little business cards.

Guest SUNTZU

I think if everyone is calm and courteous at restaurants that don't post, the issue of posting restaurants will fade like footprints in the blowing desert wind. I won't be eating at restaurants that post. I will try to eat with my friends at restaurants close by and sit on the patio. Say, twenty to thirty people, in plain view of the restaurant managers. Let them broach the subject. Take pictures of your group spending money in supporting/neutral establishments and blog the hell out of it.

I dont see how anything the metro council can pass will get around this... If they do pass this I wont spend a freaking dime eating in Metro again.

TCA 39-17-1314. Local regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted by state regulation — Actions against firearms or ammunition manufacturers, trade associations or dealers. —

(a) No city, county, or metropolitan government shall occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition or components of firearms or combinations thereof; provided, that the provisions of this section shall be prospective only and shall not affect the validity of any ordinance or resolution lawfully enacted before April 8, 1986.

(:rolleyes: The general assembly declares that the lawful design, marketing, manufacture and sale of firearms and ammunition to the public are not unreasonably dangerous activities and do not constitute a nuisance per se.

© (1) The authority to bring suit and right to recover against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer by or on behalf of any state entity, county, municipality or metropolitan government for damages, abatement or injunctive relief resulting from or relating to the lawful design, manufacture, marketing or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public shall be reserved exclusively to the state.

(2) Nothing in this subsection © shall be construed to prohibit a county, municipality, or metropolitan government from bringing an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by such county, municipality, or metropolitan government.

(3) Nothing in this subsection © shall preclude an individual from bringing a cause of action for breach of a written contract, breach of an express warranty, or for injuries resulting from defects in the materials or workmanship in the manufacture of the firearm.

(d) The provisions of subsections (B) and © shall not apply in any litigation brought by an individual against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer.

I can tell you when the militant posting "no guns here" will stop. When a HCP holder is seriously hurt or killed in one of these establishments that is post and that HCP holder or their family sues the establishment for not properly securing their safety after removing his or her right to defend themselves. Perhaps that little tid-bit should be on our little business cards.

Nobody is responsible for protecting you against outside aggression. Not even the police! No business is required to provide security personnel to guard customers. The only way the owner could be sued is if he or one of his employees shot you in his establishment during business hours.

When you walk out of your house you are the only agency responsible for your safety. you have to make the personal decisions that will maximize your own security. If an establishment does not allow you your weapon, you must exercise your right to not enter that place.

I carry, but there are places I would like to go, but I don't go because of weapons restrictions.

I am pretty certain that I will still put my Centennial in the car safe when I go to Chilis, simply because I like a beer with my food and you still cannot drink while carrying.