URGENT - POSSIBLE VETO ON PARKS BILL!!!

Guest stovepipe

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glock,

Not all Republicans are our friends. Look at Beth Harwell for one shining example.

BUT THERE ARE A WHOLE LOT OF PROGUN DEMS UP THERE THAT WE CAN COUNT ON, THE THING IS WE OUTNUMBER THEM... PERIOD. not yelling...

Heres the latest and Im starting to feal like we got screwed....

Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.

Legislative Action Committee

For those of you who are not a non-lobbyist walking and listening in the halls of the General Assembly today, wow, it has been a busy day.

The word was received from Bredesen's Mount Olympus that he was unhappy with the parks bill which has been laying on his desk since June 1 (is he intentionally waiting for the last minute on these firearms bills?) because he does not like the idea of opening the local parks or making local governments vote to close them. Odd, that neither the governor nor his staff lobbyists have been raising these issues while the bill was in the committee system. It is also odd that his office has made statements to the effect that he was not offended by the parks bill because it did not involve alcohol).

Yet, on the eve of the 10th day, governor Bredesen, a self proclaimed defender of the 2nd Amendment, drops a hint about a 2nd veto in 2 weeks. That sent the legislature scrambling. Could a compromise be found? Are there enough votes for an override - the 2nd of his administration? Is there enough time for an override? All of these questions had to be considered while at the same time the Senate GOP was busy with other legislation on perhaps more important issues - like reducing the governor's proposed budget which apparently sent him into a tantrum when he referred to the Senate GOP's actions as "stupid."

Or is this "hint" some form of retaliation by the governor for last week's veto override?

At this point we don't know the answers to some of these questions and we never. However, circumstantial evidence indicates that it is the General Assembly that is paying attention to the Constitutions of the State and the United States rather than the governor who seems to be using firearms issues as a negotiating point with the General Assembly.

For example, news reports across the state earlier today are talking about a "compromise" between the General Assembly and the Governor on the parks bill and several other firearms related bills. Again, he could have been involved during the legislative hearings but choose to watch from Mt. Olympus - or is it Mt. Phil now - and see what they served him as a final product.

However, some news reports later in the day are reporting that Bredesen denies the existence of a compromise. See, Tennessean Blog which reports this afternoon in an update:

Update III:
Bredesen told the Gaggle that he had made no such agreement on handguns. His account was that he was told, through an aide, that the sponsors of the bill wanted to clean up some of the language and had decided on their own to remove the local parks. He also said he had not agreed not to veto the clarifying language on guns-in-restaurants-that-serve-beer.

Oh, Phil Bredesen is claiming that after 5 months of considering this bill and very little comment from him that the General Assembly decided there was an error in the bill and wanted it back? Oh yeah, that is credible.

The Senate is in session and you have time now to email and call them. Let them know your position on this issue. Let them know, if need be, you will stand with them to again override an abusive veto should that be the outcome. Let them know you are listening, you are watching and you will not sit by quietly as constitutional rights are trampled from Mt. Olympus is a turf war.

i say quit playing with this guy... send the bill back up there with whatever changes are needed and lets see what happens.

If he doesnt want to play nice lock up the budget or some of his other pet projects... he's supposed to be flying out to Germany in the morning.. he wont be here to fight it and he wont like that one bit.

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER
i say quit playing with this guy... send the bill back up there with whatever changes are needed and lets see what happens.

If he doesnt want to play nice lock up the budget or some of his other pet projects... he's supposed to be flying out to Germany in the morning.. he wont be here to fight it and he wont like that one bit.

Agreed, we can get the "beer permit loop hole" closed... Just have Rep Todd and Sen Jackson both propose an amendment to a budget bill to block the loophole and force it through... If he vetoes the budget bill they'll have to come back to town to deal with that anyhow.

Time to stop playing nice.

Agreed, we can get the "beer permit loop hole" closed... Just have Rep Todd and Sen Jackson both propose an amendment to a budget bill to block the loophole and force it through.

+1

i am glad this son of a bitch can not be elected again.

and...

+1

Guest HexHead
Agreed, we can get the "beer permit loop hole" closed... Just have Rep Todd and Sen Jackson both propose an amendment to a budget bill to block the loophole and force it through... If he vetoes the budget bill they'll have to come back to town to deal with that anyhow.

I agree, we need to use the same tactic used to get National Parks back. :love:

I don't mind admitting it. I am about over it.

i did not get a permit to go to parks or bars. Basically I do not go to them anyway.

All I want out of life is right here where I live. The permit helps me get back and forth from work and other places I have to go to live in this place.

I am over it, sign it veto it, ignore it. I don't much care anymore.

I am over Phil! That what I am over. I know what you mean Mike, but...

Parks are one of the place I don't like to go now, only because I can't carry. I do enjoy going to parks, walking trails with my kid and dogs.

Guest SomeGuy

We can win this fight like we did the others. Work with us in the TFA an make sure your elected officials know you are a pro-gun voter, and expect them to be a pro-gun legislator.

Bredeson can slow things down, drag things out, and make scenes, but he cannot stop us if we stick together and fight.

Guest Plainsman

i did not get a permit to go to parks or bars. Basically I do not go to them anyway.

All I want out of life is right here where I live. The permit helps me get back and forth from work and other places I have to go to live in this place.

Come on now...everyone likes Applebee's!

To a point, I feel the same way. Lately, following politics, especially from a conservative perspective, has become a real chore. This TARP, that bailout, Government Motors Chrysler, entertainment bunkers, carry here, carry there, it's in the Constitution but they decided that part doesn't apply to this part because of the other part over there...It's not easy to keep up with, and even harder to keep up with on a level where you can respond to it quickly, and even the best of us miss things. But what choice do we have? Sit back, close our eyes, and hope it all works out? Sounds nice, but as sure as we do, it'll wind up working out for the other side. One of our Founding Fathers made the statement "I have for you a Republic, if you can keep it." Freedom isn't free, etc. Keeping up with what your government is doing, and keeping in touch with your legislators, to me, is just as much your civic duty as jury duty, voting, etc. I guess what I'm driving at here, is that we've got to keep the pressure on, because the folks that want this bill, and the other gun bills, vetoed will keep the pressure on too. All that's required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. I don't go out drinking, I haven't been to a public park in a few years, and have absolutely no intention of having a loaded long gun in my truck. But I'm still emailing, I'm still calling, I'm still leaning on my representatives. If we all just relax, and try to coast up this hill, we'll find ourselves going backwards in a hurry.

Just a note, I don't intend this post to be aimed at Mike .357. It's simply my best shot at the general apathy I've been seeing and hearing with folks today.

i didnt mean for my previous post to sound so harsh. i am just tired of the tactics that the political system operates around.

I didn't think it was that harsh. You should've heard what I had to say (and still do, frankly) about Mr. Bredesen and his entertainment bunker. You remember the one, the one under the Governor's Mansion that nobody lives in? Yeah...:up:

56Fordguy I did not take you reply as a shot or anything. I agree with you.

I have had my say to my state representative and to my senator. They know where I am at, I know where they are at. I am not calling them anymore, no more emails, not this session. However this shakes out is how it shakes out. I am done.

Politics is a bunch of BS anyway. Right or wrong does not play into it. The will of the people does not play into it. Heck if will of the people played into it I doubt that the bar carry bill would stand a snowballs chance in hell of pasing. Put that on a ballot in a general election and I am guessing is loses 3 to 1 or worse.

Guest HexHead
So, anyone want to come with me tomorrow to the legislature and probably next week to keep working on this?

John, I may be able to. Where do we stand on things? Did the Senate recall the bill yesterday? I'm reading conflicting reports everywhere. Is the original bill still on the Gov's. desk with today being the deadline?

I'd say its safe to say he's already started his day...He's going to be on the hill most of the day. I started mine early hopeing I could help today if called upon.

Honestly, I have heard several things. Last thing I got from John late last night was the Senate version was never pulled... thing is I dont exactly know what that means.

Right now Im as lost as last years easter egg.... I have sent out emails already this morning, but Im still waiting on John to see exactly what else is needed.