Tullahoma area - please check in here

Since the two biggest downtown Tullahoma food locations have publicly stated their intent to deny carry, I'd like to organize a meeting between their owners and the HCPs and supporters in the area.

The numbers I researched indicate 848 HCPs in 37388 (4.71%) and 6,565 HCPs in the four county area (4.55%).

So if you live, work, shop or travel through Tullahoma, please check in.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dizzielizzie

This information was recently in the Tullahoma News... Fast Jacks & Daddy Billys are doing this to protect their businesses and would rather say no up front than risk having an incident.

I see you are military, cybernorris, but no HCP. Even if you do organize a meeting, and they change their mind, you still can't carry there without a HCP. I beg you to learn the state laws before you do anything.

I admire anyone willing to go out of their way to fight for our "right to bear arms" but would hate to see a place like Daddy Billys - which has been there for decades - to have to close because they loose their beer permit, which will happen if they willing allow those permitted to bring in a firearm and something happens.

Tullahoma qualifies as a "city" but it's still small town politics and old fashioned ethics.

Tullahoma is dying - too many factories have closed down. I used to work there but was forced to relocate because I lost my job (thank Carrier for moving their plant to Mexico.)

Guest dizzielizzie
Nothing is going to happen. Sober people can't even pic out a concealed firearm . Some drunk is going to go around groping everyone to find a gun and then shoot up the place? I don't think so.

Hey honey, you don't know some of those men down in Tullahoma. They can get a little "frisky"... :sadwave: and yeah, I've got a concealed firearm...

And No, they won't need to go groping everyone because they know their buddy has one! I know people who are carrying concealed & go out drinking all the time.

Guest slothful1
I see you are military, cybernorris, but no HCP. Even if you do organize a meeting, and they change their mind, you still can't carry there without a HCP. I beg you to learn the state laws before you do anything.

That seems a little condescending. So only HCP holders can understand the law or be interested in their rights?

I am sad to hear this. Not surprised but sad. My family owned Daddy Billy's for a few years back in the late late 80's and early 90's. It has gone through several owners since and none seem to get the mix just right. Atleast we had good food when we ran it. :P I really wouldn't want to eat at either place now.

Good luck convincing them to change. (genuine, non-sarcastic tone)

FYI, I know the state laws... learn a little about the person you're putting down in public before you do so.

I am former military .. and moved back from Yankee-land not that long ago. I'm waiting for the right opportunity and funds to align for getting my HCP. I carried with a permit for years in LA before moving north.

I haven't had a chance to go see if either business has posted a sign or not.

Here's the news article:

th_44902_TNguns_122_378lo.jpg

I completely understand Tullahoma is an interesting mix of politics... I've suffered from that already since moving back. However I grew up here and moved back to let my daughter grow up in a place that is safe with good schools.

BTW, I shot the mayor a little over a week ago. He's looking better than ever!

Edited by cybernorris
Guest Britestar

If you know people who "I know people who are carrying concealed & go out drinking all the time. " Then you know criminals and people who are a detrement to those of us who want to advance the "Carry" issues. Those who do go out drinking and carry are just crazy. Also you state and yeah, I've got a concealed firearm...

coming short of saying you have a permit. If you carry and have no permit then you are really walking the line. Especially if you carrying concealed in public. I don't know if you are having a problem stating your facts here and we just don't "get it" or your advocating the irresponsible.

<!-- / message -->

Edited by Britestar
sp
Guest dizzielizzie

ok, I apologize if I offended anyone. :) I often come to Tullahoma for my work, and have watched the area grow, and watch it now dying. I know of many bars that have closed down and cannot re-open because they just simply cannot get a beer permit, they (not the business owners, but the locations) have been singled out due to fights and even shootings in the past. I hate to see any more go out of business, simply because there are more businesses going out than opening up. If anyone is willing to go to Daddy Billy's or Londons to try to get them to take down their "no" signs, I admire you because you are going out of your way to fight for my rights also.

Not sure but think that London's doesn't qualify because of the serving food definition of a restaurant. They do not serve food excepting the popcorn; maybe a bag of chips. So truly is a bar. Am I correct in the wording of the new law and how it applies to this situation?

Seems the Tullahoma News is editorially trying to jumpstart the parks issue:

City board yet to take action on handguns

By BRIAN JUSTICE City Editor

Tullahoma government leaders haven’t begun to deal with a recently passed public chapter that authorizes handguns by permit in federal, state and local parks, but they concede the issue will probably be a forthcoming agenda item.

The new law goes into effect on Sept. 1, but cities may exclude their parks by passing a resolution.

Mayor Troy Bisby said that he does not know what action the Board of Mayor and Aldermen may take regarding the issue.

“It’s something we are going to have to face,†he said. “It’s not an issue that’s going to go away without some type of reaction to it.â€

Bisby said the board will probably be discussing the issue in the coming months more toward when the law goes into effect.

“It’s something the board may want to look at and be sure we all understand what the law means and what actions might be taken to ensure the safety of our citizens,†he said.

Although Tullahoma has not faced any issues regarding the gun law, it has become a concern in Murfreesboro.

The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association has taken a stance against allowing handguns by permit in parks.

Bernard Childress, the association’s executive director, has said if guns are allowed in Murfreesboro’s parks, the city can expect to lose the city’s Spring Fling event, which comprises high school state championships in softball, baseball, soccer, tennis and track, and the $3.4 million in tourism dollars the week-long tournaments bring annually.

“This is a zero tolerance issue — period,†Childress said. “We don’t have a written policy. But if anyone had a gun where our kids are, we wouldn’t be there.â€

About half the Spring Fling events are held in Murfreesboro city parks.

Murfreesboro Mayor Tommy Bragg said the threat to lose the Spring Fling event could sway his vote toward having the city not allow guns in parks.

Tullahoma people, please contact the members of the Board of Mayor & Aldermen.

Edited by cybernorris