Canteens??

Guest Risky Ruger

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

Well, how much are you planning on drinking on a daily basis? If you're planning on storing water long term, a canteen isn't the way to go, IMO.

For long term storage, you're better off with water barrels. Factory water bottles will store for awhile as long as they are kept out of light and heat. They never were meant for long term storage. Water stored in barrels will last awhile, but may start to taste funny as it becomes deoxygenated. Stir it with something clean to help with the taste and avoid purchasing an aerator, unless you just have the money. With power loss, your back to running a pump by hand, if you've bought one, or stirring by hand. Take a look at Aqua Paks.

Reliance Aqua-Pak 2.5 & 5 gallon Water Container

or

Reliance Aqua Tainer Water Jug

Drums

Water Storage and Water Filtration

Gravity filter

Monolithic Marketplace - Just Water, Ceramic Drip-Filter

Here is a link to some info by Dr. David Manz on sand filtration of water in developing countries

Manz Water Info | David Manz

The bottom of that link has manuals and guides on how to build one.

I have also seen rain barrels for sale at Ace Hardware stores.

Guest redbarron06

I would not go more than 2 days in a canteen. Especailly if it is warm outside. After water reaches certain temps it will actually encourage the growth of those little nasties that will cause the runs. In Desert Storm we were actually not allowed to use canteens and had to drink from water bottles.

Guest Risky Ruger

if you re-boiled it, would it be suitable for another few days? I assuming water to be scarce and limited resources are available.

I hike a lot, and left canteens for up to a month with water in them. My preferred water containers are Powerade bottles, they are just the right height and width, and I prefer a clear water bottle over one you can't see through, since I filter my water through a t-shirt and use Aquamira drops, one look and I can see if any floaties got past the tshirt.

I hike a lot, and left canteens for up to a month with water in them. My preferred water containers are Powerade bottles, they are just the right height and width, and I prefer a clear water bottle over one you can't see through....

The quart Gatoraide bottle work great. Weigh less than Nalgene, cheap and pretty tough. The threads also attach to my brother-in-laws water filer directly.

Not sure about how long water will keep though.

Iodine tablets will help water keep longer, but don't expect it to taste good.

Add kool-aid to help mask the taste. :rolleyes: <-- What a great use of an icon!

(Also water with iodine will turn powdered potatoes blue, which is pretty neat in it's self.)

Guest Risky Ruger

in a survival situation, I could care less about taste. I have both tablets in my kit one for iodine and other for taste, but once that runs out, I could be up a creek. I figured I could just reboil and be ok.

Can tell you that Knoxville city water keeps fine for at least a couple of years stored topped off in pretty much anything that doesn't disintegrate. Chlorine, you know. I imagine that most "city water" is about the same.

2 liter soft drink bottles do nicely and I also keep a month's worth of water in the Aquatainers (4x7gal.)

Most "canteens" any more have plastic container as the core, so would be the same. Actual metal canteens are generally aluminum, I guess, so should be fine, too.

16 drops of bleach per gallon kills most bacteria and protozoans, but doesn't get a couple of really nasty ones (that you won't get from city water no matter how long it's stored, anyway).

Have read several studies that claim that if you do boil water, as soon as it boils at all is plenty good enough for every known pathogen, no need to do a "3 minute rolling boil" or whatever.

I'm going to pick up a Katadyn Pocket filter in my next series of purchases...good for around 13,000 gallons! Also gets all biological baddies from bacteria size and larger. Note that it does NOT get virii, though.

Note also, that none of the above makes water safe from many chemical contaminants, either.

- OS

the opening paragraph in OS's post hits the nail on the head.

I have drank stored tap water a year later out of my canteen, ( plastic army surplus) and it tasted fine and there were zero side effects. Chlorine is your friend.

Aside from that I am aware of several springs in my immediate vicinity.

Guest SUNTZU

Since the map store went out of business, does anyone know where I can find a hydrology map of East TN? Mike, map your springs. GPS if you have one.

Mike, map your springs. GPS if you have one.

I will not share that information, can't have all kinds of people onto my secret places. Most of them are well off the road on private property.

One is well know, Love Spring on Loves Creek Rd over by Easttown Mall.

I will not share that information, can't have all kinds of people onto my secret places. Most of them are well off the road on private property.

Actually, many springs on private property were mapped many many years ago, and even have names. Is that on US Geological Survey maps or something? I disremember.

One is well know, Love Spring on Loves Creek Rd over by Easttown Mall.

Somehow I had it in back of mind the county nuked that one somehow? I'll have to stop and see next time I go by it...I know I haven't seen anyone there filling up in some time.

- OS

Somehow I had it in back of mind the county nuked that one somehow?

I hope not, I have not been there lately. That spring was used before there were white men around these parts. It is good water too.

I know a couple, but none near me. Anyone know if there are working springs near Walker Springs Road?

I have TN Atlas/Gazetteer.

Even though scale is small on mine I found two near you pretty quick:

Ochler Springs and tada, Walker Springs!

Within say 3 mile radius of you I see several more.

I'm sure they are on someone's property, but in total breakdown, that may not matter so much.

- OS

Guest SUNTZU

There is a cave near me that has running water, but it would be a PITA to get to until we find the entrance at the opposite side. There is a lot of climbing and praying you don't fall at the beginning of the cave. If I fall in a cave, I don't make a spelunk, I make a KaBOOSH.

Does the TN Atlas show actual spring locations? I must start scouting if it does. Hmmm.

Does the TN Atlas show actual spring locations? I must start scouting if it does. Hmmm.

Well, yeah, it does...

One I have is marked in 5' GPS grids which is 5 sq. miles, prolly too small a scale to be very precise with, though. This is a DeLorme edition of whole state, they may make larger scale ones, dunno.

Say the Map Store has closed?

- OS

Guest SUNTZU

Heard on the radio that they were having a huge sale as they were closing their doors forever. I don't think that people are into maps as much as furniture, so I don't think its one of the Brown Squirrel's "closing our doors forever for the past 30 years" sales.