S&W 340SC (scandium J frame) pics and opinion

shaftbass

340PD Pictures and review

I bought this last week. It has replaced my Glock 36 as my carry gun.

Well, it's true what they say about this gun being a firecracker. I shot it this afternoon. 9 rounds of Speer Gold Dot .38+p @ 10 yards. It shot very well. I want to see how well I do if i take time to actually aim. The purpose of shooting it this time was to see what kind of recoil I'd be dealing with.

Recoil is manageable with the .38+p. Even fun. I brought some .357 Magnum Hydrashoks, 125 grain. I shot one of those. I'm not going to be shooting too many of these out of the gun ;) It feels like it does when you catch a baseball someone has hummed at you, and it hits you right where your index finger meets your palm.. that kind of shock is what it feels like when shooting the .357 ammo.

For carrying it, I'm definitely going to be carrying the .38+p because I'm not confident in being able to make a quick follow-up shot with the .357 stuff.

Anyways, I'm going to shoot it about once a month just so I don't forget what kind of recoil I'm dealing with.

All the shots were within a 4 inch group @ 10 yards. I guess that's about what i expected. I think 2" or tighter are possble with a little practice. 2"bbl + extremely light + double action only trigger all subtract from accuracy if you're not used to it. I think after another box or two I'll be very comfortable with the gun.

That being said, I'm comfortable enough with this gun after shooting it today. I can't say that about any of the semi-auto's I've carried. Not because of my shooting ability or the gun's accuracy, but at one time or another each of them has had a problem whether it be fail to fire, fail to feed, stovepiping. Maybe it only happens once, but it's enough to make me lose confidence in the gun. With this gun, I know it'll shoot every time.

http://www.lxcoupe.com/images/340/

340_1.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GregRN

I have one of those on my wish list, but I have been concerned about the recoil from such a light weapon. I've been told by someone that owns one, that the recoil is too much with +P ammo. I'm glad to know that its not that way for you. I have hope for myself then. ;)

You might want to try the 158gr .357mag loads. I find they recoil much less than 125gr, which I find really unpleasant.

More to the point, I don't see any reason for .357mag in a J-frame revolver. Any benefit (and I don't think there is much) is heavily outweighed by the negatives of cost,blast, flash, and recoil.

For .357mag that is easy on the hand, Winchester White Box 110gr SJHPs are pretty manageable, about like a hot 9mm.

It is stamped on the barrel to not fire anything less than a 120 grain bullet. I haven't got around yet to researching exactly why that is.

bwswanson: The Glock 36 is a fine carry gun. I wanted something I could drop in my pocket, and you just can't do that with a G36. It's too big and heavy, but perfect for wearing with a holster.

It is stamped on the barrel to not fire anything less than a 120 grain bullet. I haven't got around yet to researching exactly why that is.

bwswanson: The Glock 36 is a fine carry gun. I wanted something I could drop in my pocket, and you just can't do that with a G36. It's too big and heavy, but perfect for wearing with a holster.

Probably to prevent hot cartridges in unfired chambers to have their bullets pulled due to recoil... Which would jam up the works.

If that is the case, it really wouldn't apply to the ammo I mentioned simply because they are loaded so lightly... But it's still probably better to follow the manufacturer's suggestions ;)

Thanks for answering my question.

Did you buy this new or used? If new, would you care to divulge what you had to pay?

I've been thinking very seriously about getting something like this. But the prices I've seen online have been pretty high (they usually are). I think it would be a perfect fit for what I want the gun for.

It is because of the titanium cylinder and it only applies .357 loads. The smaller bullets and the slower burning powders in the “reduced recoil†ammunition expose the front of the cylinder to the blast longer. That will destroy the protective coating on the titanium and damage the face of the cylinder.