Ruger Mark 3

Guest ab28

Guest ab28

I traded in my worthless inaccurate p22 on one of these a couple of days ago(partial trade). This thing shoots beautifully, but one question. I tried taking it apart and it seems unnecessarily complicated, like you need a PhD in Engineering to do it. Anyone else realize this?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is where you messed up!!!!!!!

Seriously the Ruger is a PITA to fieldstrip & assemble.

On these guns there is no real "NEED" to do a fieldstrip cleaning after every shoot, unless you are a glutton for punishment.

Do you have the manual with this fine pistol??

Guest ab28
That is where you messed up!!!!!!!

Seriously the Ruger is a PITA to fieldstrip & assemble.

On these guns there is no real "NEED" to do a fieldstrip cleaning after every shoot, unless you are a glutton for punishment.

Do you have the manual with this fine pistol??

Yeah, got it new on a trade in, got a few stovepipes, but it might be just because it is new. I am happy with it, I am just gonna shoot it until it needs to be cleaned, I just wanted to try it this morning. On a side note, the Walmart in Mboro on old fort park is almost out of all ammo, and they are rationing, 2 boxes per customer. They used to have crates of the Federal bulk, I was lucky to get away with a couple of 100 round boxes of Winchester.

For some reason my Rugers don't like Winchester ammo. I have two 10/22's & a Mk II target. All I shoot is Federal bulk & they love it for the most part.

As far as tearing down & rebuilding go step by step by the instructions & hold the gun exactly like the pic says!! Then be sure to hold your left ear while scratching your right foot with the same hand. :):D

Youtube has some very informative videos on teardown.

The real trick is getting that little pin to swing down and catch the mainspring nook. It is second nature after you do it a couple of times, but since it is a blind process it is daunting at first.

Great shooting gun!

Guest mikedwood

Good luck. I love mine but it took me 3 days off and on once to get it back together.

Mine hates bulk packs but loves the CCI.

Guest MERRILL

I too have a mk.3. It is a 22/45 and I have shot close to 2000 rounds through it. The only way I clean it is with electronic parts cleaner followed by spraying a bit of oil in it. I do clean the barrel in the usual way. My pistol will not shoot ww white box without malfunctioning. It does very well with Federal bulk ammo and a few other plated bullets. It doesn't like the unplated ones.

A quick few minute instruction by someone who knows the gun well seem to do the trick. The Ruger MK series is built like a rock, they shoot well and can be accesserized easily. It is easy to take apart and put back together just work with it a few times.

Guest Rugerman

Youtube videos are very helpful. I'd also shoot it a TON before tearing it down if it is a new gun. Gunscrubber will be your best friend.

Guest RandomHero

They are fun guns. My dad has a Mk 3 stainless hunter w/ fluted bull barrel and cocabola grips for sale on consignment at a gun store in camden. Wants a new carry gun instead of a target pistol :koolaid:

Youtube videos are very helpful. I'd also shoot it a TON before tearing it down if it is a new gun. Gunscrubber will be your best friend.

I like this idea myself, but I've heard most folks say to tear it down, clean & lube before shooting the first round. About to get one too and have been told the takedown is not a bad as advertised. Their reassurance is the only thing that's kept me leaning to the MK3. Otherwise, they're supposedly sweet as can be.

Guest Rugerman
I like this idea myself, but I've heard most folks say to tear it down, clean & lube before shooting the first round. About to get one too and have been told the takedown is not a bad as advertised. Their reassurance is the only thing that's kept me leaning to the MK3. Otherwise, they're supposedly sweet as can be.

You could go either way. One of my Mark III 22/45's was SO TIGHT I couldn't take it down hardly before shooting it. I just sprayed some cleaner through it, wiped it down really well and lightly oiled it. Shot a bulk pack through it and it was much easier to take down. Great guns. Love them. Have too many.

Without the field strip, where are you lubing it? Happy days - got mine today. Would like to shoot it this weekend, and of course my FFL says to strip, clean & lube it before shooting (yeah, yeah, yeah). I mean I'm up for cleaning (bore snake) and lubing, but without stripping it for the moment. I don't want a pile of parts this weekend.

Thx

I have two MkII's and a 22/45. Never thought I'd need a rubber mallet to clean my guns. Thing is, with these things, you really never have to clean them unless you REALLY want to. A Q-tip dipped in Hoppes on the feed ramp and around the chamber, a quick boresnake or bore brush, and you're done.

Mine will eat (and have eaten thousands) Federal bulk packs, but they hate Remmy Goldens or Thunderbolts. And do yourself a favor and don't get any non-plated bullets near them.

Mac

• 1 month later...

I just bought a MK III 22/45 bull barrel and haven't even had a chance to try it. BUT I did find a site with info on tweeking the mag on II and IIIs to cure jambs. I don't see a way to attach a word document here so email me at digger44@gmail.com and I will send a copy. If everybody already knows about this just disregard all the above and I apologize!! I have several Taurus 605s for family members but had to get into rimfire to afford the target practice

Guest 3pugguy
I traded in my worthless inaccurate p22 on one of these a couple of days ago(partial trade). This thing shoots beautifully, but one question. I tried taking it apart and it seems unnecessarily complicated, like you need a PhD in Engineering to do it. Anyone else realize this?

to a couple of videos and I think the guntalk one you have, but here it is with the video. I really like the Ruger, but got a Buckmark which I like as well; it is not the easiest thing to take apart, but Rimfire Central had some great info.

Good luck!

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-field-strip-and-reassemble-the-ruger-mark-iii-pistol-265406/

http://guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm