Why not a point restriction in TN?

Guest GunTroll

Point restriction or not?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Point restriction or not?

You are right. But something has to be done to cut down on the number of does. TWRA allows 3 a day, which means nothing if hunters don't have access to land to hunt on. We can control those deer on public land, but, the problem lies within private holdings and the "NO Hunting" signs that are nailed to almost every tree in the county. This is where the problems lie in controling deer numbers. It's a fight that goes on year after year. The problem is going to continue to worsen until the state steps in. And I feel putting a point restriction on deer will worsen the population problem.

Your right the TWRA has to step in with a better attack plan but I am still not against nor for the antler restrictions, I would have to do more research to come up with my own conclusion.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

So what is the doe to buck ratio on an average in TN. Mostly the northern middle area?

Referring to MO again....They allow two bucks to be taken. One archery and one rifle. Both have to meet the 4 point min on one side. You can purchase a doe tag with your buck tag. Once the doe tag is filled you just get another for $7 resident. They are endless. As many as you want to fill all season. Rifle is only a ten day hunt. Archery is like three months or something. My in-laws moved there a number of years ago before this plan was put in place. They never got anything worth anything other than food on the table. This is like there 4th year maybe of this new plan. Don't quote me. Now the deer are starting to rival Iowa!

I have no problem humping large deer out of the woods. Been doing it with elk & mule deer up and down mountains in WY and CO for a bit now. You get out what you put in. The argument of horn vs. meat is moot. Does have meat and seem to be in abundance in TN so problem solved. I'm not in a situation to own large amounts of land. In fact I have offered on a house with just two acres. The public land should be some sort of test zone to see what class of deer get harvested after a point min is put in place. Let em grow and make em' big!

Only because there are enough dumb hunters out there who don't know how to help herds grow.

Are they dumb because you don't agree with how they hunt? Just because you have your way and someone else has there doesn't mean that they are dumb.

I am all for some sort of restriction to bring QDM to TN! :)

I think if you managed your own land, you could set common sense restrictions like shoot the scrub, weak and injured first - then only the monsters. However, that would be too broad for a statewide restriction, so I think a simple point restriction would be good. I also like the idea of tag a doe first.

I usually bowhunt WMA's before the gun season, and then transition to a hunting club that I belong to during firearm season. Last year I changed it up a little and gun hunted on a WMA a couple of times. I was shocked to see the small bucks that a few guys were draging out (two very small bucks easily drug out by one guy at the same time, no lie). I know that some just want the meat, but does are plentiful. Please let the little bucks grow into bigger bucks. :) I think a point restriction is not perfect, but it would help a lot.

It is frustrating for me and the others that want a QDM plan. Right now it seems useless to pass on the small bucks when you know the guy in the next tree stand is going to kill him. Yeah, lets get a point restriction in TN ASAP.

Edited by Batman
Are they dumb because you don't agree with how they hunt? Just because you have your way and someone else has there doesn't mean that they are dumb.

Dumb in that they will shoot anything with a nub and call it good. There has to be some mature bucks mating or the gene pool will be littered with weak genetics. If you have a bunch of juvi's running around doing the mating there may not be a herd the next season.

Dumb in that they will shoot anything with a nub and call it good. There has to be some mature bucks mating or the gene pool will be littered with weak genetics. If you have a bunch of juvi's running around doing the mating there may not be a herd the next season.

The thing is some people are meat hunters, I know you are going to say well they can kill a doe but thats the way some people hunt and it will never change. People have been killing deer of all sizes for a long time and doesn't seem to slow them down any and there are still decent to big bucks out there.

I am a meat hunter and a trophy hunter. Does taste better, IMO. There's planty of meat but not too many trophies.

A point restriction would eventually benefit the hard core meat hunters, too because the average buck would be larger. While not as tender as a 90 pounder, there is more meat on a mature deer.

I am ready for a point restriction ASAP.

Guest GunTroll
The thing is some people are meat hunters, I know you are going to say well they can kill a doe but thats the way some people hunt and it will never change. People have been killing deer of all sizes for a long time and doesn't seem to slow them down any and there are still decent to big bucks out there.

1)It would if the law told you to change.

2) because of management. Not everyone has access to large chunks of land. Us lowly public land hunters would like a chance at some big ones!

And of course before I seem out of line....I am basing this experience not on hunting in your state. I'm just doing my homework before I move there and saw no point restrictions and thought to ask this question. I am basing my experience with SC,GA,MO,CO,WY.

Yeah I have no problem with that. I just think managed hunting is good overall and stats back that up, especially for building herds. I'm not passionate about it either way as I hunt for meat and not so much trophies. For most guys who hunt where they live, restrictions are probably more negative than positive. However, there are enough "yankee" lease guys who want to feel like a country boy for a week or two that can really hurt a population in a area. Not intentionally, but because they don't know the local herds they don't know what they are thinning.

1)It would if the law told you to change.

2) because of management. Not everyone has access to large chunks of land. Us lowly public land hunters would like a chance at some big ones!

And of course before I seem out of line....I am basing this experience not on hunting in your state. I'm just doing my homework before I move there and saw no point restrictions and thought to ask this question. I am basing my experience with SC,GA,MO,CO,WY.

Of course I will always follow the law, I am just pointing out the side of things. I have friends who hunt just for meat and I don't think they are dumb. Just speaking for them.

Yeah I have no problem with that. I just think managed hunting is good overall and stats back that up, especially for building herds. I'm not passionate about it either way as I hunt for meat and not so much trophies. For most guys who hunt where they live, restrictions are probably more negative than positive. However, there are enough "yankee" lease guys who want to feel like a country boy for a week or two that can really hurt a population in a area. Not intentionally, but because they don't know the local herds they don't know what they are thinning.

I agree it would help out, like I told GunTroll just throwing out my opinion and arguing the other side of it. I am trying to look at it from both sides.

I do think it would lead to more poaching if there is an antler restriction. May not last for long but thats also something to consider. What are the poaching stats for states that have antler restrictions. Note I do not condone poaching I think if you do it you are scum.

Guest GunTroll
....... like I told GunTroll just throwing out my opinion and arguing the other side of it. I am trying to look at it from both sides.

And that is what makes it worth talking about!:D

Guest GunTroll
I do think it would lead to more poaching if there is an antler restriction. May not last for long but thats also something to consider. What are the poaching stats for states that have antler restrictions. Note I do not condone poaching I think if you do it you are scum.

Why would you think that? I'm sure everywhere has poaching with or without a point min reg?

Why would you think that? I'm sure everywhere has poaching with or without a point min reg?

I am not talking about people who ride around in there mobile deer stands but people who hunt on their own land, I think some people will still shoot the same kind of deer that they had been before the (if it happens) point restriction. If so it will still hurt the people who own land beside them and who try and manage and obey the law.

I did a little research, emailed a few friends and relatives in other states (just recieved one back from a cousin) that has this system and they all said it was tough in the beginning but it is great now. I did ask them about the poaching and they said it did increase but slacked off as time went on. So I voted yes!

Page 26 & 27 of the 2007-2008 TN hunting guide has an article. If it represents the true feelings of the TWRA, I don't think we'll see an antler restriction.

Here is a link to the whole guide. I will pull just the article from the guide and post that when I can. For now, the article is on pages 26&27. Hope you have a high-speed connection...

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/pdfs/huntguide.pdf

I don't 100% agree with the article. If every hunter would follow this advice - no problem, but they won't. I think eventually the larger number of bigger deer resulting from an antler restriction would "breed out" the inferior ones, but what do I know?

Try this...impose the restriction on yourself this season. Make a vow....stick with it! Lets say...minimum of 4 points on one side. All of ya'll that are in favor and voted yes...hunt your deer this year with that restriction. Then, at the end of the season, lets all get back together again on this. So, make your vows here!

Dave

Try this...impose the restriction on yourself this season. Make a vow....stick with it! Lets say...minimum of 4 points on one side. All of ya'll that are in favor and voted yes...hunt your deer this year with that restriction. Then, at the end of the season, lets all get back together again on this. So, make your vows here!

Dave

What good would that do? It takes several years to start seeing results and if some are and some aren't, it would double the time it would take to see any results.:D