Concealed or Open Carry

Which mode of carry do you prefer?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Which mode of carry do you prefer?

• Concealed Carry
    • Open Carry
    • Both depending on the situation

• Administrator

This is poll. Which do you prefer and why?

• Concealed Carry
  • Open Carry
  • Both depending on situation

Worth noting is the fact that Tennessee presently issues a handgun permit. Not a concealment permit, just a handgun permit. This means that you can carry open or you can carry concealed as long as you possess the permit.

Most permit classes favor concealment for a variety of reasons, of course, but we can get into those as this thread evolves. :)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't like feeling self conscious, I'm not a LEO, and I don't have sh_t to prove, so its concealed for me 99% of the time.

I don't make any effort to cover up if I'm just running to the mailbox or walking the pooch :)

Open is usually more convenient and comfortable in the summer. I make no special effort to carry open in the winter. Just depends on convenience and what is appropriate for the situation. I'm not bashful about OCing, but I'm not flagrant with it either.

What do you carry with in the summer? OWB?

Summertime open-carry consists of carrying the full-size pistols (I mean, if i'm going to open-carry anyways, why not carry a gun that is easier to shoot and is arguably more effective?). Usually it's the bi-tone XD-45LE 5" (.45 GAP ;) ), in my favorite holster for the XD.... the Blackhawk SERPA. But, since I'll probably be ditching the .45 GAP this year, I'll likely get a .45 ACP XD Tactical (and hopefully a matching XD-45 Compact) to replace it, and be able to use the same holsters... I'll certainly be keeping the .357sig XD 4", but I forsee losing my trusty P239 to my wife, when she gets her permit (she's already claimed the Sig as hers :), I just get to carry it for now)

Guest GlocKingTN
Open is usually more convenient and comfortable in the summer. I make no special effort to carry open in the winter. Just depends on convenience and what is appropriate for the situation. I'm not bashful about OCing, but I'm not flagrant with it either.

I agree with him^^^^^^^^^^^

Guest Rooster

I will have my permit(whenever it shows up in the mail), but when I get it, I will always carry concealed. I don't really see any advantage to carrying open. In the carry class I took, they stressed several times that just because you can carry open doesnt mean you should, and the reasons they gave for always carrying concealed made a lot of sense to me. I just think it would bring unwanted attention to myself that I dont need or want. JMO

Guest witchdr

I generally carry concealed but I also don't make any special effort to make sure my gun doesn't show unless the situation call forkeeping a low profile

Guest KarolinaKid

I like to fly under the radar, plus I have heard so many storys about LEOs not knowing that open carry is legal with HCP and I don't need the hassle.

• Administrator
I generally carry concealed but I also don't make any special effort to make sure my gun doesn't show unless the situation call forkeeping a low profile

That's more or less my mentality as well. I used to panic at the thought of "flashing" my gun while putting on a coat or something. I still try to avoid it, but I don't stress over it if the gun happens to be visible for a second or two.

Guest Loaded247

When I'm off duty, it is concealed. When I'm on duty, if in uniform, it's open, unless I'm on a particular assignment where concealment is preferable.

This is an excerpt from the CATO Institute talking about Open Carry in the early days of America. They are talking about the period before most conceal carry laws were passed.

Cato Policy Analysis No. 284

"At the time the restrictions were enacted, then, people were generally free to carry firearms openly. Honest men engaged in lawful behavior had no reason to take pains to hide their weapons, for weapons were a part of everyday life. In a society in which open-carry was the norm, the natural presumption was that one was unarmed if his weapon was not in plain sight. In that context, concealment was regarded as an act of deception, an ignoble act designed to gain unfair or surprise advantage over others. Open-carry placed men in a position of equality with respect to one another by giving all fair warning whether any was armed. Since those who carried concealed weapons sought a deadly, unfair advantage, criminal or malicious intent was effectively presumed."

The entire article can be read at http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-284.html

Originally posted by cvc on OpenCarry.org (my comments below were also posted on packing.org): http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum6/1271.html

In some situations it may be wise to 'hide your light under a bushel', so to speak. But in this day and age in which the majority of people are so dangerously oblivious to one of the basic rights and reasons which make this country unique; some choose to be an example, by claiming the rights which are still recognized, and fighting for them when they are threatened by regulation and restriction.

When open-carry is banned, concealed-carry will follow shortly. The object right now is to make PROPER, RESPONSIBLE, and HONORABLE ownership, possession, and usage of firearms acceptable to the brain-washed masses who are fed propaganda about the evils of guns day-in and day-out, but are never exposed to the FACT that many reasonable people do recognize and exercise the right to be armed, and benefit those around them by doing so. These benefits to personal security are largely unseen because of the very nature of Concealed Carry.

It is not about ego, or intimidation... if anything it is the opposite, to me, because this responsibility must be exercised with discipline and equanimity, in hopes that the adage: "An armed society is a polite society", can become a reality. In the event of a real life-or-death situation, the 'element of surprise' is over-rated... it makes no difference to a determined criminal, but may well deter faint-hearted scoundrels. In the event of a determined criminal, draw-speed is critical. Additionally, one would be hard-pressed to find many examples of an armed citizen being targetted primarily because he/she was obviously armed. With proper situational awareness and retention protocol, either method is suitable.

I don't intend to disparage those who concealed-carry at all, I practice it often myself (when appropriate). But also want it to be known, by gun-owners especially, that a bit of positive 'exposure' (pardon the pun), can go a long way towards making firearms a mundane, purposeful and non-threatening matter in the public eye. Most of all, whether one chooses to conceal or expose (the gun, I mean) take the time to educate those around you of the importance of RKBA, which is one of many crucial rights we retain... But it is the one which gives the people the power to enforce all others.

Guest triggertime

Concealed all the time, for me. No need to draw unnecessary attention to yourself

and frighten the sheep. Plus, the element of surprise needs to remain to your

advantage...

Guest Loaded247

Molonlabetn, very good thoughts. Where I live in Bartlett, you DO in fact see people who open carry. Although it is a big deal to some, I don't concern myself with whether or not other people 'see things my way'..so if someone wants to open carry, I say nothing negative to them...to each his own.

Now, with all of that said, one of the lines in the Cato Policy Analysis you quoted stated something to the affect that people carrying concealed were seeking a "deadly and unfair advantage".

Considering the fact that awareness and conflict avoidance are always priorities, if I find myself under a violent attack, and I fear for my life, I DO in fact at that time, want a "deadly and unfair advantage" over the attacker......

...Considering the fact that awareness and conflict avoidance are always priorities, if I find myself under a violent attack, and I fear for my life, I DO in fact at that time, want a "deadly and unfair advantage" over the attacker......

Agreed there :)

My reference to the article was meant to illustrate how the mindset has changed from by-gone times, and how some of those reasons are flawed.

But by all means, fight dirty to stay alive! I would...

Certainly an interesting paradox. Being so, there are few points of view which could actually be considered wrong, primarily, to not be armed at all.

When I'm at my Range job I carry open obviously. Going to and from work I make no great attempt to hide it. I just throw a coat or vest on over it. I've open carried in a few gas stations going to and from work and sometimes I get odd looks, but the way I look and am dressed most just assume I'm a cop or security. I have actually gotten a few people interested in the range by them seeing my gun and shirt and asking questions. Mostly though I conceal any other time. I like having my "ace in the hole."

I don't have myTn. permit yet. I need to get the leave time to come home and get it. Maybe this question will be answered when I take the class, but I will ask it here. First a little background. I was stationed in Va. Va. also has open carry, but they also have a catch 22. You can carry your pistol openly, but if someone calls the cops to you, you can be charged with disturbing the peace and possesion of a weapon during the commission of a crime. That to me is completely absurd. Why make a law, then prosecute people for abiding by that law? :)

Does Tn. have this same catch 22?